Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Has Sight -- What is it?

When I read the wiki, it describes Has Sight as keeping tokens visible to the owner even when Fog of War is enabled. But I'm finding that unless it's turned on, I can't see any light sources in Dynamic Lighting. I have a token that I've made myself owner of. I have Dynamic Lighting with Line of Sight enabled, and Fog of War and Advanced Fog of War are both disabled. The token emits light and is visible to all. When I check out the dynamic lighting setup, either through CTRL-L or Join as Player, I just see a black screen unless Has Sight is turned on. Dynamic Lighting doesn't seem to work for me without it. Can someone explain what exactly Has Sight is for and whether this is expected? Thanks!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Has Sight is basically a flag to say "This token participates in Dynamic Lighting".  Any token you expect to be able to "See" must "have sight".  The bit you read in the wiki about the token being visible is a side effect.  Basically, if your'e using Dynamic Lighting, all your player's Tokens should have Has Sight  enabled.  When the Token has Has Sight enabled, even if it has no vision distance or light source, the token will still be above the blackness of the Dynamic Lighting, which will mean you players will be able to see and select any token they control even if it is in a totally dark environment.
Thanks! That's what appeared to be happening, but I couldn't tell from the wiki that it was mandatory for Dynamic Lighting. I thought I might have missed another setting somewhere.