Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Marketplace assets are always 3x3 instead of original size

I'm trying to use some maps and larger-sized tiles I purchased in the marketplace, but I'm going insane. Every time I drop it onto the tabletop, it resizes either to 1x1 square (on the token layer) or 3x3 (on any other layer).  The assets themselves are large, and it drives me absolutely nuts.  I've tried turning the grid off, I've tried dragging and dropping while holding ALT or SHIFT or CONTROL.  None of it works. What am I doing wrong??

Edited 1567711114
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Nothing. That is the behavior. There is some justification for this. PNGs and JPGS have pixel dimensions, but do not really have resolution tags, since they are formats built for web display, which doesn't recognize inches. (This is simplification of a rabbit-hole of a subject). Say that someone creates a map at 140 pixels per grid, but someone else creates theirs at 280 pixels per grid, with the intent that they will spend much time at a higher screen magnification. If that map piece is 5x5 units, Roll20 doesn't know what the intent of the designer was. It just knows that the graphic (which might be a map tile, a token or a prop...) is 700x700 pixels or 1400x1400 pixels. Lacking the intent, it opts to use a default size (the ones you've noted above). For the token layer, it assumes that most things dropped there will be a one-square token, so it size the image to one unit, regardless of its original dimensions. For map layer, it really has absolutely noting to go by, so it assumes the most likely is a 3x3 tile. This would doubtless be different if Roll20 enforced a standard resolution for all graphics, but they have not, instead electing for people to repurpose "found" pieces, use items they have created themselves, opt for higher resolutions if they prefer, and so on. Some Marketplace creators helpfully put the intent of the unit size in the name of the piece: "Hallway 10x60" or somesuch. There has been talk of API solutions to dropping a token and having it parse the size from the name and resize upon drop. But I think there are some programmatic hurdles at this point that prevent it. Your best bet is to note the intended size, right click on the dropped piece and se the dimensions there.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Hey JPG! Good news, the DEVs pushed an update out recently that gives us creators the ability to set the default size of every single individual item we upload. While the update to use that data we input behind the scenes is not out yet, the ground work is being set, so the painstaking resizing of every tile and map will soon be a thing of the past! Keep an eye on the Announcements Forums for future news about this topic, as it should hopefully be around the corner!

Edited 1567957587
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's great news, Munky! Does that mean you need to go back and tag every item of every set so far?

Edited 1567970380
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
keithcurtis said: That's great news, Munky! Does that mean you need to go back and tag every item of every set so far? Yes... Yes it does. Out of my 100 or so sets, I have re-tagged and set default sizes to about 60 or so of them.
Oh my gosh, this is excellent indeed!!!   So my complaint has a solution, but it may not be retrofitted to all existing products.  That's okay.  I can work with that.  :)  Thank you for the update, this is great. 
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
JPG said: Oh my gosh, this is excellent indeed!!!   So my complaint has a solution, but it may not be retrofitted to all existing products.  That's okay.  I can work with that.  :)  Thank you for the update, this is great. No Problem! I'm not sure when the update will come out to use the data us creators are putting in there for the sizes, but when it does, it will be a huge time saver and all around game changer for everyone who builds their maps in the app!