Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Hexagonal Map Drawing Support (?)

Score + 48
Right so I'm currently attempting to make a large scale map using Horizontal Hexagonal grid. So when it comes to Tokens, it does work & it completely fine. However the actual grid for stuff like drawing is completely off, & I'm trying to create a sort of W40k Planetary Empires sorta map that will probably require me to outline the actual Hexs in different colours because I have the artisitic talent of a chimp throwing it's own feces. Now I do know that the shapes say to draw as rectangles & circles so I'm not suggesting that those change, but the polygon/line tool doesn't actually snap to the Hex (H) grid at all so if that could actually be added as a difference that would be really useful to me. Placing it here because I think it's a non-feature but if this is a bug, please move me out.
Z
Pro
Sheet Author
You have my support once I've a free vote.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm going to propose that this topic be merged with  this other one . The other one has more discussion, but this one has (slightly) more votes.
I mean, I have no issues with that.
+1 when I get a vote back
Once you have the grid ready, even hex grids, just hold shift while you click around the corners of the grid and itll automatically snap. Do this with the line tool
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
El Gato of de Churros said: Once you have the grid ready, even hex grids, just hold shift while you click around the corners of the grid and itll automatically snap. Do this with the line tool It will indeed automatically snap--to a square grid. This is an example of what it looks like when you try to snap your drawing to the grid on a hex map. It's very distinctly NOT hexagonal. Fog of war has the same problem. Tokens will snap to the proper hexes, as will the measuring tool.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Polygon/line tool works fine for me, as long as I don't click SHIFT.  Click in point A, then click point B, then click point C, etc. My first clicks were a little imprecise, but by and large it does a decent job as long as I click on the points properly...snapping to grid would be nice, but this wasn't difficult and allowed me to outline my Hex the way I wanted.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah, that's what I've gotta do. There's no solution to that with advanced fog of war, though. Normal fog of war can be changed with the polygon reveal tool, but the advanced fog of war only works on the square grid.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Stephen C. said: Yeah, that's what I've gotta do. There's no solution to that with advanced fog of war, though. Normal fog of war can be changed with the polygon reveal tool, but the advanced fog of war only works on the square grid. Yeah, that was acknowledged as a limitation of AFoW when it was first implemented. I can't recall the technical reasons for it, but it is something R20 mentioned at the time they couldn't get around...of course, things may have changed since then...
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
It would still be nice to merge this topic with the other one. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1410811/hexgrid-polygon-slash-line-tool-snapping/?pageforid=8569681#post-8569681" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1410811/hexgrid-polygon-slash-line-tool-snapping/?pageforid=8569681#post-8569681</a>
I'm also in support of merging this topic with the other that Stephen C. suggests. They're basically the same idea, and merging is necessary for the votes to be tallied properly.