Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Call of Cthulhu Keeper Rulebook will I need this to run a game through roll20 if I already own a physical copy

As stated above, I already own a copy of the Keeper Rulebook and I would rather not have to buy another copy of it if I can avoid it, can anyone (preferably developer) if I will need to pick up a copy of the rulebook through roll20 to be able to run a call of cthulhu game or not
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If you already own it, you don't need it on Roll20. Owning it on Roll20 is more about convenience of it being converted and setup for drag and drop (if that is worked into the character sheet used) or shareable with the players in the game.
Pat S. said: If you already own it, you don't need it on Roll20. Owning it on Roll20 is more about convenience of it being converted and setup for drag and drop (if that is worked into the character sheet used) or shareable with the players in the game. Ok good, also not sure why youd want to share the keeper book with the players, especially since theyre planning on brining in the investigator book as well
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I'm assuming that it will be like the PHB and DMG (5e) with the fact if it becomes part of the compendium, it becomes an all or nothing type of share.
CoC support is bringing me back to Roll20, and it would be really nice to have all the 5e bells and whistles (The pre-order page only mentions Vault access, but hopefully that's just the start). If so, purchasing a digital copy will save time, storage, and aid in maintaining immersion. I admit, the few character options, rules, and gear added by the Investigator Handbook doesn't seem worth the additional cost (especially if you own the hc). I am crossing my fingers for the grimoire, though.
I can't really see the point, to be honest. The big advantages to drag and drop don't particularly apply to Call. It's not "kill the critter" centric, so a lot of the utility of drag and drop monsters isn't relevant. Everyone has all the skills and spells are rare, so you're not doing a lot of dragging and dropping of those to the sheet. I guess some kind of guided character creation? It seems kind of minimal for the cost.
Numtini said: I can't really see the point, to be honest. The big advantages to drag and drop don't particularly apply to Call. It's not "kill the critter" centric, so a lot of the utility of drag and drop monsters isn't relevant. Everyone has all the skills and spells are rare, so you're not doing a lot of dragging and dropping of those to the sheet. I guess some kind of guided character creation? It seems kind of minimal for the cost. I mean i can see the appeal of the Investigators Rulebook if not everyone has access to a rulebook, and it also helps on things like say weapons, or something else that would benefit from it, but the keeper book i mean... if you don't have the space for one i guess that works...
Well I suppose all the rules are in the Keeper book, so players would have access. But 90% of the "at the table" rules you need are in the quickstart anyway.
The IH, and presumably Pulp Cthulhu, content likely will be made to dovetail with KH.