Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Custom Dice - Request!

Hey guys, I posted awhile ago about custom dice for the Descent Boardgame. But that was closed since it was 2 months old so i am restarting a new thread. Any updates on being able to virtually build custom dice in roll20 NOT using the Rollable Tables? There is a new Trend in RPG (and boardgame systems) where there are custom dice faces. Icons/pictures instead of numbers. Some popular examples: * Descent Board Game (very popular) * Star Wars Role Playing Game (edge of empire, age of rebellion) * Warhammer Fantasy Role Play 3rd edition * Fate * Dark Heresy Second Edition I know this is not a huge list but there is a trend of publishers to go this route (mostly FFG). While i understand Rollable Tables is a possible solution it really doesn't scale well. And yes, you could script a bunch + Rollable tables to make it workable but what really would be nice is a 'out of box' experience in Roll20 that allows end users to build there own dice. Simple process: 1) Choose a form factor: 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 1d12 or 1d20 etc... 2) Choose an image/icon/picture whatever....and a 'number' if times it appears on the dice. 3) Choose how many sides have blanks...etc. 4) DONE Once done you can use the 3d dice roller or even better yet... ...In addition it would be nice to have a drag/drop 'dice pool' builder...while you can 'choose' how many dice you want to roll with a macro or a 'selection box' it really isn't user friendly (read: scalable) for the casual player. This is 2 new feature requests: 1) Custome Dice 2) Dice Pool creator (drag and drop) But since i'm a mentor i feel entitled to ask for them :) any updates/thoughts on this? Or is there a newish feature that i am overlooking that solves this for the casual player?

Edited 1397675433
Gid
Roll20 Team
Question, what's the drawback of using a rollable table for custom icon dice? Edit: There's already a built in Fudge Die in Roll20. To roll them you use the command /r 1 df
Great Question! In some of these new games coming out each roll will require a different set of 'custom dice'. In one roll you may roll 1 black die a yellow die and a green die and in another you may need to roll another set of dice (gray, black, 2 red, a white etc). Using Rollable tables makes the user experience very clunky. You have to go to rollable tables (1 click) click on each table you want (1 click for each die type) and then back to the main page to tabulate your results. Some of these die pools can be rather large and teh larger the 'die pool' the more clunky this becomes... In fact, in addition to 1 side = 1 symbol. A side can equal multiple symbols. It would be nice if this could tally the total symbols as well....
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Descent Dice. I could build them in the API script. I once made a Visual Basic program for Decent dice to run on a windows phone and it was great. It won't be quite as good as being built right into roll20, but everyone seems to like my Edge of Empire Dice. I'll try to get Descent worked on by the weekend. I gotta dig out my rules again and find some nice dice graphics. Oh and you would need to be a mentor to use the API script :( But it will work nicely. Here is a screen shot of my Edge of Empire Dice and I just did some Heroquest dice. .
Konrad that would be awesome!!! It would be for Descent 2nd edition...also do you have the dice coverted for Edge of Empire? I was thinking of starting one of these campaigns as well... If you could have it spit out the result of: 3 hearts 2 surge etc as the results that would be great! Meaning: Have it tally the results How would this work in game? Is it a rollable table? do you can it from a script/macro?
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Edge of Empire Dice are the first picture I included. They work great and are very popular. Someone also created a Google+ Hangouts Edge of Empire Dice roller. If you used that they you don't need to be mentor with Roll20. But there are other scripts you might find useful as well. You simply type at the chat window a command to roll the dice like this for Edge of Empire and it shows you the roll and then totals everything. Descent would work the same and shouldn't be too hard to make! !eed 2b 4p that would roll 2 blue and 4 purple dice. I'll work on descent soon and keep in touch!
Cool thanks! Just curious are you making a Google+ hangouts app that is the descent roller or you making a script for roll20? Thanks!
Nat J. said: Cool thanks! Just curious are you making a Google+ hangouts app that is the descent roller or you making a script for roll20? Thanks! Just fyi, you have to be a Mentor, not a Supporter to be able to use the api scripts and roll dice like that.
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Nat J. said: Cool thanks! Just curious are you making a Google+ hangouts app that is the descent roller or you making a script for roll20? Thanks! Roll20, haven't ever made anything for google+
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
HoneyBadger said: Nat J. said: Cool thanks! Just curious are you making a Google+ hangouts app that is the descent roller or you making a script for roll20? Thanks! Just fyi, you have to be a Mentor, not a Supporter to be able to use the api scripts and roll dice like that. Ya, I mentioned that in my responses, but he might have missed it. :)
oh that stinks...i need to upgrade my subscription in order to use a dice roller?
A custom scripted dice roller, yes. Otherwise you are limited to using rollable tables, which work as well.
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Nat J. said: oh that stinks...i need to upgrade my subscription in order to use a dice roller? Question for Nat. I haven't played descent for a bunch of years so thought I'd ask you how best to do this. I see a few different options on how to do the dice commands: 1. simply type what dice you are attacking or defending with, it displays them and then totals them up. Easy, so the player with roll his dice. Then the monster would roll his dice. Each roll would have its own totals and you would manually total up what happened, damage, surges, etc. between the two. Its like the GM asks the player to roll an attack, he sees the result and then he rolls the monsters defense. 2. one user types (probably the DM) in both the attack dice and the defense dice into the chat window and results are displayed with full totals calculated. This would be the easiest to do, but then whoever is typing in the command needs to know how much both the attack and the defense pool of dice are. Not hard, just ask. 3. attacker types in their command and dice are shown. Then defender types in their command and dice are shown and then total results are shown. This is doable simply by the script saving the last attack that was done and then comparing it to the next defense command that is done. There could be some problems associated with this, but I don't think it would be too hard to do. Maybe after the defense roll show the attack roll as well so you know which one it was vs.? I'm thinking of trying to get option 3 to work, but perhaps its more than needs to be done? Maybe option 2 is all you need? Let me know what you think.
Konrad, first off: You are awesome! Next: I would think option 1 would be fantastic. I think 3 might be fiddly. Option 1 i think covers everything needed. so GM (attacking) would type: 1b, 1y and the defending player would type: 1 g (gray dice for defence) They both through conversation can tally up if a hit succeeded or not. Is this correct? If so, that would be great.
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
We will start with option 1. Then see if we want more automatic stuff later. I've got it about 25% done. Not hard, just need some time to work on it. I started another project on the weekend as well. :(
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Guess what? Its done! <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/796153/script-de" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/796153/script-de</a>...