Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Zoom Tool

Score + 12

Edited 1573012326
I'm a very avid user, part of games in Roll20 three times a week or more for D&D Adventurer's League. This new zoom tool is almost unbearable. My entire group is having issues, especially on laptop track pads and for people who don't typically use/understand mouse/keyboard shortcuts. All we want to do is pan across the map to survey the battlefield during combat, and now that is very annoying to do.  This needs an immediate redaction, Roll20 team. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be dismissive of new ideas but this just isn't a good change.
Quote from a party member: "I can't see myself on the map, I can't get to myself. It's just a black screen and I can't go anywhere." He's been confused for a majority of the session. I've been in my track pad settings messing with them continuously to try to make something work. This is not good.
Spren
Sheet Author
There is a setting to use the old default. Is that not working? At the bottom here <a href="https://blog.roll20.net/post/188837771010/zoom-zoom-zoom" rel="nofollow">https://blog.roll20.net/post/188837771010/zoom-zoom-zoom</a>
I like the + and - with percentage instead of the zoom bar that never worked. But why would you also take away&nbsp; the scroll bars on the sides of the screen? People&nbsp; who use track pads or magic mice&nbsp; or such need those basic tools. This either needs to be redacted or at least give us back the scroll bars on the sides of the screen.
Spren said: There is a setting to use the old default. Is that not working? At the bottom here <a href="https://blog.roll20.net/post/188837771010/zoom-zoom-zoom" rel="nofollow">https://blog.roll20.net/post/188837771010/zoom-zoom-zoom</a> For some reason it won't scroll left or right with that option. Just up and down.
Kudos on adding the new display in the lower corner with the much more useful +/- visual buttons and specific zoom level indicator. That is a most welcome change, as the old slider was essentially useless. However, the new interface does not work correctly with some mice/track pads, and an option to restore the scroll-bars at the edge of the VTT would be very, very appreciated. I can understand why the option to remove them exists, but as they are very heavily used by some of us, please also include an option to restore them. Also, the +/- hotkeys seem to interfere with old token hotkeys?&nbsp; Thank you!
Mike deBoston
Compendium Curator
I am heartbroken over the zooming change. Clicking the "Use legacy" button removes the broken zoom feature, but it doesn't restore horizontal scrolling (with shift-scroll-wheel). So now the dice rolls aren't always shared and the maps are difficult to navigate. What's left? Talk about code debt.

Edited 1573023462
Dave said: Kudos on adding the new display in the lower corner with the much more useful +/- visual buttons and specific zoom level indicator. That is a most welcome change Not if you're using macros. It sits right on top of them. That said, this seems like a bug report and not as much a suggestion, so I'll add a proposal: Can we at least move the goddamn buttons to the top right, where the slider used to be? That would solve all the issues I ever had with the old zoom, and while it wouldn't solve much in relation to the new issues that got added, it would at least help with one.

Edited 1573023836
Ediwir said: Dave said: Kudos on adding the new display in the lower corner with the much more useful +/- visual buttons and specific zoom level indicator. That is a most welcome change Not if you're using macros. It sits right on top of them. If you use token macros, they covered the scroll bar at the top as well. But all it would have taken was some slight padding of that bar to stop it from covering it. Our game just finished. I eventually found a way to make it work, but it definitely wasn't user friendly, and legacy scrolling is definitely broken for horizontal scroll. I believe one of the players was confused almost the entire time and I feel bad for him, but he just wasn't savvy enough to understand what he needed to do, nor did most of us have the right words to explain over and over.
Please change it back to the way it was
Spren
Sheet Author
Bug thread exists here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7887676/zoom-tool-update-bug-report-thread" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7887676/zoom-tool-update-bug-report-thread</a>
Its pretty simple here really most of those who have posted do not like this and the Legacy does not revert it back to the way it was. just wait til the weekend hits....... All Roll20 has to do is make the Legacy check box actualy work and not a half measure, check the check box and FULL restore to the old way, those few who want to stick with this new update&nbsp; don't check it, but the rest of us who want it the way it was in all forms have no options at this point.&nbsp; Forcing this on us and unasked for is not the way to go and run a business. Voted YES!!!!!!!!!!!&nbsp; LOL, needless to say My last 2 cents on the subject in the forums til something else comes up with this "uodate" Tom and 30+ players
yeah the way it was before was much better then now in my opinion.
I could hardly think of a worse way to "improve" something short of deliberately making it non-functional. Lets hope you didn't delete the older version of how this worked Roll20, because considering your cavalier approach I wouldn't put it past your team to have done so.
Cavni
Forum Champion
Thank you all for sharing your feedback on the Zoom tool. We heard you, and we realize that this update&nbsp; missed the mark - and more critically, created usability issues for users. As a result, we've decided to roll back the update and revert to the previous version while we continue work on the new Zoom. We apologize for the inconvenience to our players and GMs and are grateful to our community for the quality and volume of constructive and passionate feedback we received. The rollback is effective now.
:)