Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Marketplace Art - What Assets Are Lacking or Desired?

Hey folks! I'm an artist preparing to create various asset packs for the marketplace. There seems to be a great array of artwork available, and I wanted to ask consumers if there are certain assets (creature/effect/item/map types, art styles, etc.) that seem to be few in number, or you'd like to see more of. Feedback is greatly appreciated, as it may influence the tokens I will make. Thanks in advance!

Edited 1572900175
I for one would give my eye teeth (whatever those are) for more historically accurate token sets. There are a bare handful out there, but I've used Devin Night's Viking tokens so many times I'm worried the players are going to start giving them names.
There is a lack of maps for the modern genre. Some "Apocalypse style" maps can be re-purposed but not all. It is definitely a niche category; but you did ask. 
Female tokens
Aardwulf said: I for one would give my eye teeth (whatever those are) for more historically accurate token sets. There are a bare handful out there, but I've used Devin Night's Viking tokens so many times I'm worried the players are going to start giving them names. I hadn't considered that, thanks for the input! Erich S. said: There is a lack of maps for the modern genre. Some "Apocalypse style" maps can be re-purposed but not all. It is definitely a niche category; but you did ask.  I imagine that has to do with the demand - I don't think I've ever seen or heard of anyone playing in a modern setting. Good to consider though, thanks. :) Peter said: Female tokens Wow true! Especially NPCs. Thanks for the input!
I made a post about this a while back, but I'd really love a top-down "mysterious hooded figure statue" asset.&nbsp; I posted an example of the sort of thing I'm looking for here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7523275/i-would-buy-a-hooded-statue-asset/?pageforid=7525633#post-7525633" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7523275/i-would-buy-a-hooded-statue-asset/?pageforid=7525633#post-7525633</a> I could also use a set of Egyptian-style statues, but the hooded figure is my number one wish.&nbsp; I've been running a lot of Ravenloft lately,&nbsp;
Elemental Flame
Pro
Marketplace Creator
These are a bit rough and statues aren't really my thing, but I tried to throw something together for you, Juliet.

Edited 1573167627
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
I need maps BUT without any grids on them because the system I use is in hexes for everything. Need Apocalyptic battle maps (small towns, villages, etc), Modern battle Maps, and Buildings from historical settings (Civil War, WWII, Modern, and Apocalyptic). The Buildings need interiors as well as a removable roof. Top down tokens WITHOUT shadows. Although they look beautiful close up, when you are not zoomed in, the shadow effects fade into the token design and make the token look blurred. Less detail as you cannot see it during play anyways. All genres. Top down tokens that have multiple positions for the same token. Standing (could include pointing a weapon or carrying the weapon as in walking - not really needed but nice to have), Kneeling, Sitting, Crouching, Crawling, and Prone, (Nice if it is also has Riding and Driving but usually sitting can suffice for both). All genres. Top down tokens where the weapon(s), if any, point forward to a hex side or even a sure side will do). Just my opinion and needs.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I would like Glorantha art. Top down tokens, portrait tokens, avatar portraits, whatever.
This sounds ridiculous and might be an insult to your art skills (definitely not intended in that way) but I could really use numbered markers that go higher than 10. Why do all number sets seem to go to 10? So maybe 01-99, but in different coloured sets so you could have 01-99 in blue, 01-99 in red, and in yellow or green, whatever - for example, on a giant dungeon map you'd know that purple was a drow zone or something - or just use the different colours to aid visibility against background colours. Also, the same for letters A-Z. I would just drop them onto the GM layer to work as prompts as to what's in a location, or maybe link to a journal. And then maybe some graphical prompt markers, like a smell marker, a noise marker, a gradient down/up marker, a temperature marker etc. If you tagged the assets in a meaningful way, then you'd easily be able to find all the 99s, or all the purples or whatever. If there would be any way to default them to images so they're not bound by the grid, that would be ace. You would have at least one customer for this if there was a decent amount of content with varied uses ;)
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Simon S said: This sounds ridiculous and might be an insult to your art skills (definitely not intended in that way) but I could really use numbered markers that go higher than 10. Why do all number sets seem to go to 10? So maybe 01-99, but in different coloured sets so you could have 01-99 in blue, 01-99 in red, and in yellow or green, whatever - for example, on a giant dungeon map you'd know that purple was a drow zone or something - or just use the different colours to aid visibility against background colours. There is a set of numbers (no matching letters that I am aware of) that do this in one of Meditating Monkey's sets.&nbsp; It is just one color, but you could also tint them in the token menu to add some variation.&nbsp; It includes a blank, so you can make custom markers also:&nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/2752/region-mapper-v1-city-view" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/2752/region-mapper-v1-city-view</a>
I personally need some Area of Effects for spells, but ones that come with the 5e-style area clearly delimited. The best ones I'm aware are the ones freely available for Pro members, the two sets made by Kristin Carlson , namely&nbsp; Chaotic Conjuration and&nbsp; Toasty Thaumaturgy . For both of them there is a white outline for the squared AoE that helps me to easily tell whether a for is or isn't in range. Never found anything similar on the marketplace, and there are a ton of spells that aren't easily covered by those two sets...
I don't have a request for content, but I do have a suggestion for Roll20 artists: Several weeks ago there was a thread about the use of Roll20 Marketplace art assets in streaming content. Here is the thread: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7692451/legal-question-regarding-paid-games-using-marketplace-material/?pageforid=7859757#post-7859757" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7692451/legal-question-regarding-paid-games-using-marketplace-material/?pageforid=7859757#post-7859757</a> It was generally agreed that anyone who wishes to stream their games should first get permission from the artists whose assets they use. Some Roll20 artists posted in that thread, saying that they don't mind their work being used in streamed games. I've also noticed that some Marketplace artists now state on their profile page that they give permission to use their work in streamed games. However, most Roll20 Marketplace artists don't have a stated position on this topic. I personally do not stream my games, but it's something that I've considered doing in the future. Therefore, I've decided to limit myself to only those Roll20 artists who have given permission to use their assets in streamed games. Other Roll20 artists might want to state their position on this topic on their profile page, because it could help people to decide about making a purchase from them.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Kraynic said: Simon S said: This sounds ridiculous and might be an insult to your art skills (definitely not intended in that way) but I could really use numbered markers that go higher than 10. Why do all number sets seem to go to 10? So maybe 01-99, but in different coloured sets so you could have 01-99 in blue, 01-99 in red, and in yellow or green, whatever - for example, on a giant dungeon map you'd know that purple was a drow zone or something - or just use the different colours to aid visibility against background colours. There is a set of numbers (no matching letters that I am aware of) that do this in one of Meditating Monkey's sets.&nbsp; It is just one color, but you could also tint them in the token menu to add some variation.&nbsp; It includes a blank, so you can make custom markers also:&nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/2752/region-mapper-v1-city-view" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/2752/region-mapper-v1-city-view</a> I can make a set of GM Markers with 1-99 and a-z no problem. Would anyone want any other types of marker tokens - like f1, f2, f3 for Stairs leading to different floors or b1, b2, b3 for basement levels, or 1a, 1b, 1c for sub interest sections found in some adventures but still associated to the main section? There is a 500 item limit on what we can put into sets, but I can cover pretty much whatever (though I won't be able to go as far as 99z as I would no doubt go over that limit far before that number/letter combination) Additionally, there are two sets I have created with GM Markers in them and they both have a Blank Marker so the DM can make their own custom number/letter combos if needed. Brett E. said: I don't have a request for content, but I do have a suggestion for Roll20 artists: Several weeks ago there was a thread about the use of Roll20 Marketplace art assets in streaming content. Here is the thread: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7692451/legal-question-regarding-paid-games-using-marketplace-material/?pageforid=7859757#post-7859757" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7692451/legal-question-regarding-paid-games-using-marketplace-material/?pageforid=7859757#post-7859757</a> It was generally agreed that anyone who wishes to stream their games should first get permission from the artists whose assets they use. Some Roll20 artists posted in that thread, saying that they don't mind their work being used in streamed games. I've also noticed that some Marketplace artists now state on their profile page that they give permission to use their work in streamed games. However, most Roll20 Marketplace artists don't have a stated position on this topic. I personally do not stream my games, but it's something that I've considered doing in the future. Therefore, I've decided to limit myself to only those Roll20 artists who have given permission to use their assets in streamed games. Other Roll20 artists might want to state their position on this topic on their profile page, because it could help people to decide about making a purchase from them. I thought I had set my Publisher Page up to state that I allow permissions for Streamers, but I checked and apparently I didn't state that, so I went ahead and added that to my Publisher Page!
Mike deBoston
Compendium Curator
For humanoid NPCs, my group prefers Rounds over Top View tokens, because you get more detail. Even bobble head/chibi style would work, so we can see how they are equipped but don't miss out on the face. We don't use facing, but it wouldn't hurt to have a little facing indicator on it. If part of it was transparent or white, I could use tint to differentiate between multiple pirates. But even better would be if the pirate set had little variations -- This one has a red scarf, this one has blue, the one has an eye patch, this one doesn't. The art doesn't have to be different, just adjust it a bit so the player can say "I'll attack the orc with the blue sword". I'd like to have sets grouped by theme so I can run "beach encounters" or "terrible jungle insects". It makes it easier to justify a purchase if I'm buying one set for the adventure instead of several that I have to assemble. I'd like to get some swarms of insects, bats, and whirlwind attacks, and fireball and area effect markers that have varying degrees of transparency for a cool effect, and for the larger swarms to be larger swarms instead of the same art zoomed up. I'd like to get terrain tokens that I can place on maps, and map tiles. I haven't quite found what I like yet, and I've been disappointed with the purchases I've made. Numbered and lettered tokens in different styles -- great idea!
The MapHatter
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I like the spirit of this community :)&nbsp; But you better be quick there Rachel B - all too many creators willing to help out and fill the gaps it seems.
Simon S said: So maybe 01-99, but in different coloured sets so you could have 01-99 in blue, 01-99 in red, and in yellow or green, whatever - for example, on a giant dungeon map you'd know that purple was a drow zone or something - or just use the different colours to aid visibility against background colours. Also, the same for letters A-Z. 1) Find a token that you like, (I use colored triangles and some other markers I found and wrote a key for.) 2) Put your numbers, letters, or title in the token name, and make sure you make it visible. 3) Use the same token&nbsp; and change the token name where necessary. When you color/token key things it makes it much easier to find things on the map. A token for a door versus a locked door, if magic (or radiation) is present, etc.
Cheers matey, that's pretty much what I do atm (not super well though) - but Rachel was asking what content we felt was missing, and it's something I wanted to flag in case they wanted to make it. Erich S. said: Simon S said: So maybe 01-99, but in different coloured sets so you could have 01-99 in blue, 01-99 in red, and in yellow or green, whatever - for example, on a giant dungeon map you'd know that purple was a drow zone or something - or just use the different colours to aid visibility against background colours. Also, the same for letters A-Z. 1) Find a token that you like, (I use colored triangles and some other markers I found and wrote a key for.) 2) Put your numbers, letters, or title in the token name, and make sure you make it visible. 3) Use the same token&nbsp; and change the token name where necessary. When you color/token key things it makes it much easier to find things on the map. A token for a door versus a locked door, if magic (or radiation) is present, etc.
Wow so many great suggestions, thanks so much to everyone who has contributed!
Mike deBoston said: For humanoid NPCs, my group prefers Rounds over Top View tokens, because you get more detail. Even bobble head/chibi style would work, so we can see how they are equipped but don't miss out on the face. We don't use facing, but it wouldn't hurt to have a little facing indicator on it. If part of it was transparent or white, I could use tint to differentiate between multiple pirates. But even better would be if the pirate set had little variations -- This one has a red scarf, this one has blue, the one has an eye patch, this one doesn't. The art doesn't have to be different, just adjust it a bit so the player can say "I'll attack the orc with the blue sword". I'd like to have sets grouped by theme so I can run "beach encounters" or "terrible jungle insects". It makes it easier to justify a purchase if I'm buying one set for the adventure instead of several that I have to assemble. I'd like to get some swarms of insects, bats, and whirlwind attacks, and fireball and area effect markers that have varying degrees of transparency for a cool effect, and for the larger swarms to be larger swarms instead of the same art zoomed up. I'd like to get terrain tokens that I can place on maps, and map tiles. I haven't quite found what I like yet, and I've been disappointed with the purchases I've made. Numbered and lettered tokens in different styles -- great idea! I definitely also prefer rounds over tokens, they're more easily readable and appealing imo. That white/transparent aspect for tinting is such a good idea! I never would have thought of that. Brett E. said: I don't have a request for content, but I do have a suggestion for Roll20 artists: Several weeks ago there was a thread about the use of Roll20 Marketplace art assets in streaming content. Here is the thread: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7692451/legal-question-regarding-paid-games-using-marketplace-material/?pageforid=7859757#post-7859757" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7692451/legal-question-regarding-paid-games-using-marketplace-material/?pageforid=7859757#post-7859757</a> It was generally agreed that anyone who wishes to stream their games should first get permission from the artists whose assets they use. Some Roll20 artists posted in that thread, saying that they don't mind their work being used in streamed games. I've also noticed that some Marketplace artists now state on their profile page that they give permission to use their work in streamed games. However, most Roll20 Marketplace artists don't have a stated position on this topic. I personally do not stream my games, but it's something that I've considered doing in the future. Therefore, I've decided to limit myself to only those Roll20 artists who have given permission to use their assets in streamed games. Other Roll20 artists might want to state their position on this topic on their profile page, because it could help people to decide about making a purchase from them. I appreciate that you brought this to my attention - I'll definitely add this to my page once I have assets up. Thank you! Simon S said: This sounds ridiculous and might be an insult to your art skills (definitely not intended in that way) but I could really use numbered markers that go higher than 10. Why do all number sets seem to go to 10? So maybe 01-99, but in different coloured sets so you could have 01-99 in blue, 01-99 in red, and in yellow or green, whatever - for example, on a giant dungeon map you'd know that purple was a drow zone or something - or just use the different colours to aid visibility against background colours. Also, the same for letters A-Z. I would just drop them onto the GM layer to work as prompts as to what's in a location, or maybe link to a journal. And then maybe some graphical prompt markers, like a smell marker, a noise marker, a gradient down/up marker, a temperature marker etc. If you tagged the assets in a meaningful way, then you'd easily be able to find all the 99s, or all the purples or whatever. If there would be any way to default them to images so they're not bound by the grid, that would be ace. You would have at least one customer for this if there was a decent amount of content with varied uses ;) I actually was running a game recently and brought in an exclamation point from Google as a marker, but it definitely didn't feel sufficient. I totally agree and hadn't even thought of doing something like that. Brilliant! Kris M. (Maphatter) said: I like the spirit of this community :)&nbsp; But you better be quick there Rachel B - all too many creators willing to help out and fill the gaps it seems. I'm certainly not going to be able to fulfill all of the requests, so if there are other creators who jump on board then I think that would be beneficial for everyone. ^^
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I was thinking of making this very thread and of course, no artist is going to be able to take on all of the requests, so I too will join in. I have released 10 different colors of number and letter tokens (two colors per set). I also added runic characters and some assorted symbols for fun and fantasy. I was planning to do this already, and of course I am not upset if any other artists release a similar set, I'm sure they will all have their own unique flare. Mike W. said: Top down tokens WITHOUT shadows. Although they look beautiful close up, when you are not zoomed in, the shadow effects fade into the token design and make the token look blurred. Less detail as you cannot see it during play anyways. All genres. Just FYI, the marketplace requirements actually request you have shadows or an outline for a token, I don't know if it would be accepted otherwise. If you want any of my tokens without a shadow just send me a private message and I'll save it for you without the shadow layer. I'm sure many other artists would do the same. Mike deBoston said: I'd like to get terrain tokens that I can place on maps, and map tiles. I haven't quite found what I like yet, and I've been disappointed with the purchases I've made. What sort of terrain items have you failed to find? Give us a bit of specificity and hopefully in the near future you'll have tokens you like!

Edited 1574923854
Mark G.
KS Backer
So I will add my 2 cents... consider this something of a general wish-list :&nbsp; Maps with empty spaces for doors, and door tokens for secret/concealed/normal doors that can be altered to show rotation.&nbsp; Door/window tokens with dynamic lighting effects so that when closed block light and when open can be seen through (not at all sure this is even possible, but... it's a wish-list)&nbsp; Roof/upper floor "tiles" that can be overlaid on the main map&nbsp; More non-human tokens in supported classes for game system (from a D&amp;D and Pathfinder perspective for my use). The vast majority of tokens appear to be human.&nbsp; Multi-state tokens.. standing, sitting, riding, sleeping, down and bleeding .. best for the PCs but useful for NPCs as well.&nbsp; Tokens scaled to match the rules in specific games (ex. "Goblin" tokens vary in size, sometimes from the same artist, but for Pathfinder they should&nbsp; be Small and occupy 1/4 of a space, and some other creatures are Tiny and take up 1/16 {smaller than that is probably no practical} ) In the past, Ral Partha did "3-stage Minis", which were supposed to represent the same character at the beginning, middle, and high-level stages of his/her career.&nbsp; With the upcoming change to allow custom status markers, sets of status markers that align with game system rules would be nice. Pathfinder has a series of specific conditions, but there are also other types of buffs and such that are not "conditions" specifically but which would be nice to have markers for.&nbsp;

Edited 1574993549
Plain grass fields. I never recycle maps, so if my players have been on a given map, then they only return to it if they actually go to that location in the game. That map IS that location ..as a result I need plain play-grids that I can rearrange into new maps. Preferably similar to those in the published adventures, so that there is a continuity in the visual style of the game.

Edited 1575084659
The MapHatter
Pro
Marketplace Creator
@Jens F. Interesting point of view regarding non-recyclability. I'm going to put forward a counter-discussion that the same maps can be used multiple times without players recognizing the location. I'll use my modular battlemap series 'Meanders' here - there's more than 950 in the series and they act like dungeon tiles but they are large (27x18) detailed terrains that you can fit together to make entire worlds if you want that use a special repeating exit/entrance point so you can transition from one map to another with the paths always lining up. But once joined together like a carpet - you can also 'snip' or use fog of war to delineate the borders yourself, so there is no need to use the true edge of the map as predefined. There are already millions of combinations possible - but by cutting where you want, it adds millions more. What I mean by this is lets say you have four of them joined together in a 4x4 grid: Many people would naturally agree with the creator and limits of dimension of the art that the edges lie here along these yellow borders: But once joined together like a carpet, you could cut the map from anywhere: It doesn't have to remain rectangular either. And by flipping it you can also create the illusion of new areas too. If you mete these terrains out over enough time, and fill the adventurers will enough alternate lore, experience and exploration of other terrains - they will more or less 'forget' about these ones and you can 'recycle' the maps after a length of time by modifying them in some of the above ways. By adding new assets you can further distinguish the terrains as different/unique - or hide features that players might recognize easily.&nbsp; While I do have enough maps to keep a DM going (including myself) for a lifetime already, thousands more are on the way. Some are plainer than others but they do cover a huge variety of terrains already. I also have some questions for you Jens. F, because you've peaked my curiosity - let's say you have a pack of 8 grass fields, or 16 desert dunes, or 32 ocean waves, when you put them together, in any order, it might be different each time but is it interesting? How do you intend to use these plain fields in such a way as to make the terrain on which they are travelling unique?&nbsp; Even if you do any of the above like I have done, or shuffle these fields endlessly into new configurations - the human ability to remember and store specific geometric patterns and recall them is usually phenomenal: and recognition of a landscape is often only a matter of time even if heavily disguised: the lines, swirls, patterns, strokes of the very digital paintbrush will become familiar to a player and they will know when you have used it again. But if you don't intend to use the fields more than once and not recycle them, I am very curious why they need to be plain fields?&nbsp;&nbsp;
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I am working on some modern and post apocalyptic maps and dungeon crawl maps...love to try my hand at some Gamma World flavored maps, too.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Kris M. (Maphatter) said: And by flipping it you can also create the illusion of new areas too. I think that is a good point about flipping.&nbsp; You have the option of horizontal and/or vertical flipping, and that can certainly change the visual of a map.&nbsp; You can even tint all the tiles to change their color hues.&nbsp; I often do this with maps for the water to be on the correct side of the map for whatever river/lake/sea the players may be on the shore of.&nbsp; &nbsp;Throw in extra scenery if you have matching tokens, change the dynamic lighting a little (if you use it), and it can easily seem like a new place.
Mino
Marketplace Creator
Calliban said: I personally need some Area of Effects for spells, but ones that come with the 5e-style area clearly delimited. The best ones I'm aware are the ones freely available for Pro members, the two sets made by Kristin Carlson , namely&nbsp; Chaotic Conjuration and&nbsp; Toasty Thaumaturgy . For both of them there is a white outline for the squared AoE that helps me to easily tell whether a for is or isn't in range. Never found anything similar on the marketplace, and there are a ton of spells that aren't easily covered by those two sets... I recently made a pack of animated first level spells . Each of them has versions with and without rulers based on the preference of the GM running the game. I'm a little confused by the comment though, because I've seen other spell packs with similar designs. Off the top of my head, I can think of Perfect Spells , Animated Pixels , Animation Sensations ASv5 , and those are all just the animated ones. Is there some spell you're specifically looking for that isn't in any of these packs?
The MapHatter
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Kraynic said: Kris M. (Maphatter) said: And by flipping it you can also create the illusion of new areas too. I think that is a good point about flipping.&nbsp; You have the option of horizontal and/or vertical flipping, and that can certainly change the visual of a map.&nbsp; You can even tint all the tiles to change their color hues.&nbsp; I often do this with maps for the water to be on the correct side of the map for whatever river/lake/sea the players may be on the shore of.&nbsp; &nbsp;Throw in extra scenery if you have matching tokens, change the dynamic lighting a little (if you use it), and it can easily seem like a new place. Yes, true Kraynic, the tint also adds an additional layer of customization and camouflage - weather and lighting effects such as Roll20 has are also means to add usability to maps, including a tint and a weather effect or a combination of any of the above suggestions. I like the adamant approach of Jens F toward the unique identity of a location restricted to using one map only to represent it - but I also think it is entirely possible to modify a map in such a way as to use a map repeatedly without it being identified. As always it simply depends on your approach and your needs - there's no real takeaway here just musing on the point raised.
Simon S said: Cheers matey, that's pretty much what I do atm (not super well though) - but Rachel was asking what content we felt was missing, and it's something I wanted to flag in case they wanted to make it. The part I did not add on there was how long it took to find a halfway working group of symbols; and you are entirely correct. I picked up one of the sets, I misread "Icon-Despair 1-1" as "Icon-Drespar 1-1." Figured how cool was that, throwing Roll20 Devs in with the tokens... Then I realized my dyslexia was playing tricks on me once more. David Kogan, nice Clockwork Creatures (1 &amp; 2), but no clockwork swarm. I cheated though and picked up Death and Decay - Pack 1 and used token "Arrows_Volley 05" as a swarm. Just don't look too close, right? All of those dungeon fights have to leave remains all over the place, right?