Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Switch Character in macros/chat commands

The problem I have is that, as GM, I often have to switch characters to make attacks and such as numerous enemies.  The "/as" switch replaces the display name, but does not actually change which character is acting (and so any chat avatars are not used)... so a script with: "/as Commander Get them! /em engages in battle /roll [dice pattern]" produces output with: Commander: Get them! GM engages in battle GM [dice roll]  What I would like to see is a chat command that actually switches to a character you control, just as if you had done so manually. Using this in macros would make a GM's life easier, and even when macros are not practical, a GM could prepare the commands ahead of time in a text editor to make game play faster and more responsive.  That way, a script with:  /sw Commander /em roars into battle shouting "Get them!" /roll [dice roll] would produce output with: Commander roars into battle shouting "Get them!" Commander: [dice roll]  Similarly, with a large list of NPCs, it can become hard to quickly switch to the one you want to use; or it becomes a mistake not to switch and speak as GM when you wanted to speak as a specific NPC. A GM usually knows the name of the NPC s/he wants to appear as, and a switch command would help avoid both forgetting to designate and finding the entry in a long drop-down list of NPCs/monsters. 
This is a cool idea and may be pretty easy to implement? Adding my vote!

Edited 1574392565
Mark G.
KS Backer
This is similar to the functionality that The Aaron was posting in an API script a few months ago:  Switch  ; although I am more interested in switching to the PC or NPC and not based on the Avatar.  EDIT: The Switch API script works pretty well for what I was going for. 
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .