Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dynamic Lighting: Allow designating area(s) excluded from Global Illumination

Currently, I find myself using maps that are a mix of indoor and outdoor locations.. such as infiltrating a building from the outside. In these cases, the Global Illumination setting does not work that well.  Global Illumination works for maps that are either indoor-only or outdoor only, as the lighting these will be uniform (so Global Illumination is On or Off). Mixed maps, however, would be best suited to having Global Illumination apply only to part of the map. Being able to designate on the Dynamic Lighting layer regions that are "excluded" from the Global Illumination I think fits the model. 

Edited 1573572657
Workaround: Switch Global Illumination of, mark the walls of houses on dynamic lighting layer, put tokens with emitting light radius 200 in two corners of the map (emulating the sun) and tokens with emitting light ins small radius and dim light start at -10 behind the houses. Gives a nice shadow effect. You can put those tokens on the dynamic light layer so they are invisible but still emit light.
Thanks, I use something similar as a work-around.. but I would still like to see the functionality without needing to do a work-around. 
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .