Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token Action Macros -Dressing up /roll with banners

Edited 1573913639
Hi folks, Long time DM here who has spent last four hours getting utterly overwhelmed by the amount of macro stuff out there that just isn't aimed at macro noobs like moi. I feel like an ant carrying a hippo the wrong way up an escalator at the moment. I find it really easy to set up a custom token macro action like this... that is then shown in the bar at the top whenever I select the token. @{selected|character_name} lunges with his dagger, making a sneak attack! /roll 1d20+8 vs AC /roll 1d4+5 DMG /roll 3d6 Sneak DMG This works fine and is a quick and dirty way of me getting the job done without too much effort. What I really want to do though is come up with a macro template that will make this look prettier when it's displayed... I know, I know... but I'm a woman and I like to dress things up. Forgive me. I know /roll won't work with inline rolls (I think that's correct). I've experimented with stuff like this... &{template:5eDefault} {{title=@{selected|character_name}}} {{subheader=Shortsword}} {{subheaderright=Melee Sneak Attack}} {{emote=**Makes a sneak attack!}} {{Attack=[[1d20+8]] | [[1d20+8]] Vs AC }} {{Damage=[[1d6+5+2d6]] Damage}} {{emote=**+ 6 if crit}} And I get 3D dice rolling but no visual numbers displayed in chat window - just the headers. Can someone please, for the love of all that is celestial, the Radiant All-Knowing Pickle of Zekeer and my tattered threads of sanity, lend me a prayer here. Thanks. x Alison 'Feistykitten' secretdoor.online

Edited 1573917439
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Well to begin with, there's nothing wrong with your macro code. Here is what I get when I run it: However, unless your campaign is using the 5e Community Sheet, it will break, because the instructions for that roll template are written into that particular sheet. (I would strongly advise against that sheet, BTW. Its development was abandoned years ago, and it doesn't support a lot of the newer functionality made possible by compendium integration). What sheet is your game using?
Well, there is something wrong. :-) I wanted it to roll 1d20+8 two times and then also roll 1d6+5 for damage + the 2d6 sneak attack damage. None of those results display - just the emote saying +6 if crit. I'm using the 5e community sheet. I have a lot of characters using it in the campaign. If I switch it to the standard sheet, will those characters lose their notes and some of their content that I've typed into their various fields? That is my fear. Thank you for your swift and kind reply. x
If you are using the community sheet then you need to adjust your macro a bit to use the weapon output correctly.  Try this &{template:5eDefault} {{weapon=1}} {{title=@{selected|character_name}}} {{subheader=Shortsword}} {{subheaderright=Melee Sneak Attack}} {{emote=**Makes a sneak attack!}} {{attack=[[1d20+8]]}} {{attackadv= [[1d20+8]]}} {{Damage=[[1d6+5+2d6]] Damage}}  {{critdamage=Additional [[3d6]] damage}} @{selected|classactionmeleeweapon} Hope that helps
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Ed. Not using the Community Sheet, I had no idea what the output was supposed to look like, only that I was getting more than just a header. Feistykitten, if you have a significant time investment in the Community, then yeah, you'll lose that if you switch.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you do want to switch at some point, you can copy the campaign, leave you original untouched and change the sheet in the copy. Then open another browser (this makes things a lot easier*). Then open the original campaign in that browser, your original campaign in your usual browser, and compare the 2 campaigns and see how much you need to fix in the new one. If it looks like too much, you can just abandon it with no damage done to your original. * Note: having different campaigns open in the same browser is risky - if either of them refresh, it might reload the wrong campaign, and its easy to get confused about which one you are working with. Having them in separate browsers is completely safe and much easier to work with.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can also open one game in a private browsing/incognito window.
Awesome guys. Thanks. This gives me some stuff to nose around with... Ed S. That works brilliantly. Just the sort of thing I was after. Now I just need to figure out what else I can make with it... though I better feed the pets first. They're giving me their mad faces.
As a DM that likes to use custom macros, I highly recommend the Community sheet over the official one.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Dungeon Master said: As a DM that likes to use custom macros, I highly recommend the Community sheet over the official one. I'm always curious about the attraction to this sheet. What about it is particularly conducive to custom macros?
So sorry, did not see this! Basically there is not a spot that I can see to add things like this to the official sheet.