Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[Script] Edge of the Empire Dice with Images in the Chat Window

Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Good idea, I've meant o go back to it and fix up the screen output now that I know more on how to do that. I'll have a look at what you did and add some more ideas when I get a chance.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
This script is awesome. You guys did an amazing job.
Thanks for the script, guys. It didn't work for me right, though. Had problems with downloading icons for graphics output and my players sometimes couldn't see throw results in both graphics and text modes. So I had to fix them. Small fixes led to big refactoring. You can take new version on github . Changes: Total refactoring - script simplified and its size greatly reduced. Results are grouped by dice results not dice groups. Error messages and correct error handling. Blanks can be shown in results. Logging logic was changed - now script always returns results to chat, because it is its purpose. Turning logging on puts debug messages to developer console User can no throw more than 9 dice of one type in one pack. Sadly, but i had to remove graphics output, because of problems I told earlier. I can include pictures in base64 inside the script but I don't know what will author of app say. PS I don't check these forums often, so if you find problems with script write to issues on github for this project.
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Redwan said: Thanks for the script, guys. It didn't work for me right, though. Had problems with downloading icons for graphics output and my players sometimes couldn't see throw results in both graphics and text modes. So I had to fix them. Small fixes led to big refactoring. You can take new version on github . Changes: Total refactoring - script simplified and its size greatly reduced. Results are grouped by dice results not dice groups. Error messages and correct error handling. Blanks can be shown in results. Logging logic was changed - now script always returns results to chat, because it is its purpose. Turning logging on puts debug messages to developer console User can no throw more than 9 dice of one type in one pack. Sadly, but i had to remove graphics output, because of problems I told earlier. I can include pictures in base64 inside the script but I don't know what will author of app say. PS I don't check these forums often, so if you find problems with script write to issues on github for this project. Please feel free to change anything you want! Whatever you need to do to get your graphics to work of course. I've never seen the graphics not work in any of my testing though so perhaps its something new that ROll20 has done?
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Redwan said: Thanks for the script, guys. It didn't work for me right, though. Had problems with downloading icons for graphics output and my players sometimes couldn't see throw results in both graphics and text modes. So I had to fix them. Small fixes led to big refactoring. You can take new version on github . Changes: Total refactoring - script simplified and its size greatly reduced. Results are grouped by dice results not dice groups. Error messages and correct error handling. Blanks can be shown in results. Logging logic was changed - now script always returns results to chat, because it is its purpose. Turning logging on puts debug messages to developer console User can no throw more than 9 dice of one type in one pack. Sadly, but i had to remove graphics output, because of problems I told earlier. I can include pictures in base64 inside the script but I don't know what will author of app say. PS I don't check these forums often, so if you find problems with script write to issues on github for this project. A couple questions. With your script is there a way to show the actual dice rolled? I think users would like to see what was rolled. Not everyone trusts computers. :) #5. The script always returned results to the chat window. I think I might not have explained it that well in the comments. Logging simply turned on or off the ability to show each die roll. But the total results of the die roll is always displayed. #2. Not sure what you mean by this one. The actual dice rolls are displayed as dice groups, but the actual totaled results are always grouped by the results. #3. Blanks are show in the actual dice results, but not in the totals. I don't play the game so I don't know if blanks are important to total up, are they? #7. I'm new to HTML, didn't know you could do that. I looked it up and if it works that should make things even faster since it doesn't have to go to an external website to get the images. I'll give that a try! #6. Been meaning to add that! #3. Been meaning to add that! :) I think I'll revisit the script and do some changes to make it better! But not sure why graphics don't show for you always. Maybe changing it to the base64 decoding will help?
o_0 Holy shit... base64 and css/html. I think I just wet myself in joy. I'm gonna have to learn how to implement this into my power cards and add the actual icons for D&D 4e powers into the power cards... /hijack
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
HoneyBadger said: o_0 Holy shit... base64 and css/html. I think I just wet myself in joy. I'm gonna have to learn how to implement this into my power cards and add the actual icons for D&D 4e powers into the power cards... /hijack I'm trying it right now, but doesn't seem to be working. But most likely I just don't know what I'm doing. :)
<a href="http://webcodertools.com/imagetobase64converter" rel="nofollow">http://webcodertools.com/imagetobase64converter</a> That shows how to do it and provides a way to convert images.
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
HoneyBadger said: <a href="http://webcodertools.com/imagetobase64converter" rel="nofollow">http://webcodertools.com/imagetobase64converter</a> That shows how to do it and provides a way to convert images. Ya thats the webpage I'm using, but my quick try didn't work. Let me know if it works for you and then I'll take a longer look. ;)
I think I'll revisit the script and do some changes to make it better! But not sure why graphics don't show for you always. Maybe changing it to the base64 decoding will help? I think the problem was with my ISP. Me and two other players have same ISP with good speed plan (&gt; 10Mbps), but loading time of pictures was awful ~50 secs. With next update (in several days - everyone has to work) i will return graphics mode with pictures included in base64, add 'help' command and optional variant of dice ids - by their names not by their color. &gt;Blanks are show in the actual dice results, but not in the totals. I don't play the game so I don't know if blanks are important to total up, are they? No, they are not important, but i as GM like to see them, they give me more interpretation of result. &gt;Not sure what you mean by this one. The actual dice rolls are displayed as dice groups, but the actual totaled results are always grouped by the results. I restored my changelist in script from memory, when I returned to end its development after 2 weeks delay. So it hasn't restored correctly in here. &gt;I think I'll revisit the script and do some changes to make it better! But not sure why graphics don't show for you always. Maybe changing it to the base64 decoding will help? What about work on one script version without lots of duplicates?:) For example we can also write good custom randomizer for it. IMHO Standard js random methods don't work well.
Alicia
Sheet Author
I hope you two will implement the one like rolling Jarod introduced.
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Redwan said: I think I'll revisit the script and do some changes to make it better! But not sure why graphics don't show for you always. Maybe changing it to the base64 decoding will help? I think the problem was with my ISP. Me and two other players have same ISP with good speed plan (&gt; 10Mbps), but loading time of pictures was awful ~50 secs. With next update (in several days - everyone has to work) i will return graphics mode with pictures included in base64, add 'help' command and optional variant of dice ids - by their names not by their color. &gt;Blanks are show in the actual dice results, but not in the totals. I don't play the game so I don't know if blanks are important to total up, are they? No, they are not important, but i as GM like to see them, they give me more interpretation of result. &gt;Not sure what you mean by this one. The actual dice rolls are displayed as dice groups, but the actual totaled results are always grouped by the results. I restored my changelist in script from memory, when I returned to end its development after 2 weeks delay. So it hasn't restored correctly in here. &gt;I think I'll revisit the script and do some changes to make it better! But not sure why graphics don't show for you always. Maybe changing it to the base64 decoding will help? What about work on one script version without lots of duplicates?:) For example we can also write good custom randomizer for it. IMHO Standard js random methods don't work well. I think the randomizer is automatically using Roll20's randomizer even though it looks like its just using the stadard js method. I think I remember Riley saying that?
Hi guys, I am a GM using Konrad's script with Jarod's modification, for it to take less space in the chat. I never had a problem with the roller, everything works, although last session I had some small lags (1 or 2 sec delay). I believe it was however due to my ISP. Thus, being able to not use dice images but direct symbols would be great and remove the potential lag issue. As for blanks, I am curious as to how you use them Redwan since blanks are irrelevant to final result. It is useful to see where the blanks come from however, as it will help in interpreting the roll, but this can already be seen on the dice images.
&gt;I think the randomizer is automatically using Roll20's randomizer even though it looks like its just using the stadard js method. I think I remember Riley saying that? Didn't read Roll20 API documentaion yet :) So can't say anything. &gt;As for blanks, I am curious as to how you use them Redwan since blanks are irrelevant to final result. Yup they are irrelevant, but if i throw big pool of dice, number of blanks can tell me overall impact of successes and failures on scale of situation. For example from two throws from one pool of dice, you have results: Lots of blanks, small value of successes Lots of successes, small value or no blanks. Technically outcomes are the same, but my description for players will be a bit different. Second variant will be more dramatic.
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Philippe said: Hi guys, I am a GM using Konrad's script with Jarod's modification, for it to take less space in the chat. I never had a problem with the roller, everything works, although last session I had some small lags (1 or 2 sec delay). I believe it was however due to my ISP. Thus, being able to not use dice images but direct symbols would be great and remove the potential lag issue. As for blanks, I am curious as to how you use them Redwan since blanks are irrelevant to final result. It is useful to see where the blanks come from however, as it will help in interpreting the roll, but this can already be seen on the dice images. Would you find it useful to roll the dice by ability name rather than colour? A'll do some mods tonight perhaps and post.
Redwan said: Lots of blanks, small value of successes Lots of successes, small value or no blanks. Technically outcomes are the same, but my description for players will be a bit different. Second variant will be more dramatic. Ok, got it, I agree 100% with you on that and I am running it the same way. The current script (Konrad's + Jarod's mods) already provide that insight, but if you couldn't get the images to load then you missed on it. Konrad J. said: Would you find it useful to roll the dice by ability name rather than colour? A'll do some mods tonight perhaps and post. Do you mean that instead of "!eed 2g 1y 1b 2p 1r 1blk", it would be "!eed 2a 1p 1b 2d 1c 1s"? Truthfully, I don't really care one way or another. I'd say however that I have ran a dozen of one shots beginner games, and it is easier with complete beginners to refer as "the green die" than "the ability die". To me, the current script (Konrad's + Jarod's mod for a 1 line display) is near perfect. With today modern internet capability, the dice image should load fine except in very rare occasions as I mentioned. Sure, if there is a way to not rely on images, why not, BUT I'd still would need to know what were the symbols on the green dice, yellow dice, etc... to be able to interpret the story. Even using base64 and css/html, the results (prior to cancellation) would need to be color coded. In any case, thank you guys for those scripts, which other would make EotE in Roll20 much more difficult!
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Philippe said: Redwan said: Lots of blanks, small value of successes Lots of successes, small value or no blanks. Technically outcomes are the same, but my description for players will be a bit different. Second variant will be more dramatic. Ok, got it, I agree 100% with you on that and I am running it the same way. The current script (Konrad's + Jarod's mods) already provide that insight, but if you couldn't get the images to load then you missed on it. Konrad J. said: Would you find it useful to roll the dice by ability name rather than colour? A'll do some mods tonight perhaps and post. Do you mean that instead of "!eed 2g 1y 1b 2p 1r 1blk", it would be "!eed 2a 1p 1b 2d 1c 1s"? Truthfully, I don't really care one way or another. I'd say however that I have ran a dozen of one shots beginner games, and it is easier with complete beginners to refer as "the green die" than "the ability die". To me, the current script (Konrad's + Jarod's mod for a 1 line display) is near perfect. With today modern internet capability, the dice image should load fine except in very rare occasions as I mentioned. Sure, if there is a way to not rely on images, why not, BUT I'd still would need to know what were the symbols on the green dice, yellow dice, etc... to be able to interpret the story. Even using base64 and css/html, the results (prior to cancellation) would need to be color coded. In any case, thank you guys for those scripts, which other would make EotE in Roll20 much more difficult! I couldn't get the Base64 thing working. We will see if others can. I did add the ability to have all the dice rolled on one line like Jarod did. Did a few other things. Check out the comments at the top of the script. Its updated on the github website link earlier on in this thread. Thanks!
Alicia
Sheet Author
Konrad J. said: I couldn't get the Base64 thing working. We will see if others can. I did add the ability to have all the dice rolled on one line like Jarod did. Did a few other things. Check out the comments at the top of the script. Its updated on the github website link earlier on in this thread. Thanks! Link is broken :(
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Ya the first link seems broken, I meant the one farther down, but here it is again. :) <a href="https://github.com/morval/EotEDice2/blob/master/Edge%20of%20Empire%20Dice" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/morval/EotEDice2/blob/master/Edge%20of%20Empire%20Dice</a>
Meanwile base64 request
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Ya, HB requested Riley have a look to see why its not working. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/767602/request-b" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/767602/request-b</a>...
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
I haven't played the game yet but this stuff is brilliant. "They thought they could confound us with odd custom dice. They were wrong, and now they and their children to the seventh generation will be heaped with shame!"
Now, if some of you, awesome api programmers, could also code in an EotE character sheet now that Roll20 has that feature ... then, the ultimate cherry on the cake would be macros that allows to automatically copy a skill pool into the chat such as "!eed 2g 1y", where the players only has to then add the remaining dices.
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Character sheets look awesome, but I'm staying away from them. I just want a table to help visualize the game. The more stuff I have to create the less likely it will get done. I know it saves time in the long run, but I really just want the tabletop and its features. I can't wait until Riley gets finished with the character sheets and back to the basics of the tabletop experience, lots of great stuff he could add/make better! :)
i have a friend/ player in my EOTE campaign working on a EotE character sheet. hopefully we'll get a basic version up on github soon. the biggest issue right now is that he doesn't have mentor access, so i'm reading the forums for him, and he's doing all the html/css off on his own, and i don't completely know what i'm doing so i've been slow getting his version up. someone else is welcome to take a crack at it too... but hopefully our version will be up in a few days (at the latest).
Alicia
Sheet Author
todd p. said: i have a friend/ player in my EOTE campaign working on a EotE character sheet. hopefully we'll get a basic version up on github soon. the biggest issue right now is that he doesn't have mentor access, so i'm reading the forums for him, and he's doing all the html/css off on his own, and i don't completely know what i'm doing so i've been slow getting his version up. someone else is welcome to take a crack at it too... but hopefully our version will be up in a few days (at the latest). I don't mind taking a look at it once you get it up.
Sounds awesome Alicia. I took a look at your saga edition sheet and it was radical. I was hoping you'd put the finishing touches on this thing. If I can't get a hold of him today, perhaps I'll send you his html? I think he embedded the css (???). Maybe you could disembed them and then github it for me? I really wish I knew something about computers other than basic troubleshooting. I really made a mistake in college dumping my comp sci degree in favor of neuroscience.
Ok Alicia! I think I successfully githubbed the hell out of this thing. Feel free to out some finishing touches on it.
How difficult would it be to make a wfrp 3e version of this?
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Someone already requested it. I'm working on it, but actually haven't had a chance to start. :( Maybe get some time this weekend. You need to be Mentor to use scripts as well.
Steve D.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Great work on the dice. I took your script and added a few little extra commands for skill checks, upgrading, and downgrading dice. Which doesn't mean much if you are typing the commands into chat however with the character sheet I create this is very important. The character sheet features a dice pool section at the top to customize your dice and then you can click on the weapon or skill to roll. <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/</a>...

Edited 1400456310
Steve D. said: Great work on the dice. I took your script and added a few little extra commands for skill checks, upgrading, and downgrading dice. Which doesn't mean much if you are typing the commands into chat however with the character sheet I create this is very important. The character sheet features a dice pool section at the top to customize your dice and then you can click on the weapon or skill to roll. <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/</a>... Wow, this sheet is amazing! Can't wait to get my players on it! rolling blk, any number, is not working for us with your .js :(
Steve D.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Christian O. said: Steve D. said: Great work on the dice. I took your script and added a few little extra commands for skill checks, upgrading, and downgrading dice. Which doesn't mean much if you are typing the commands into chat however with the character sheet I create this is very important. The character sheet features a dice pool section at the top to customize your dice and then you can click on the weapon or skill to roll. <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/</a>... Wow, this sheet is amazing! Can't wait to get my players on it! rolling blk, any number, is not working for us with your .js :( The bug should be fixed now. I have submitted a pull request with the roll20 team and it should be updated on there git hub soon. If you would like to test the new code now download the js here: <a href="https://github.com/dayst/roll20-character-sheets/t" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/dayst/roll20-character-sheets/t</a>... I'll be checking this thread often so if you see anything else please let me know.

Edited 1400794438
Ok...I'm another n00b. I've been trying to search for some guides, etc but just need a simple how to. I go to API scripts...new script...then I just copy/paste what's on the github? Or am I missing something? Thanks! Edit: And like a true n00b I figured it out after posting this :) :) :)
Hmm... getting a wfrp 3e api script working is something I should look into. Especially with this character sheet business.
Arcaneshield said: Hmm... getting a wfrp 3e api script working is something I should look into. Especially with this character sheet business. +1
I'm having an issue where nothing shows up when I try and roll. It accepts the input in the chat box, but nothing shows up. Chat itself works fine.

Edited 1401800012
Steve D. said: Great work on the dice. I took your script and added a few little extra commands for skill checks, upgrading, and downgrading dice. Which doesn't mean much if you are typing the commands into chat however with the character sheet I create this is very important. The character sheet features a dice pool section at the top to customize your dice and then you can click on the weapon or skill to roll. <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/</a>... The sheet looks absolutely stunning, but I have a few problems with the rolling part of it: *SNIP* *SNIP* I just noticed a small typo: Wounds and Strains currently have "Thershold", should be "Threshold" ;) Edit: My 1 and 2 were due to me being an idiot and not enabling the correct script. Awesome work dude, keep it up!
Steve D.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Big update to the Star Wars - Edge of Empire character sheet and API script. New Features: Added skill tooltips quick reference for skill description and success, advantage, triumph, threat and despair rolls. Added custom dice input for skills and weapons. Now you can add that ever so needed boost die to your skill. example '1b' = 1 boost. All the dice roll codes from before work (#b #g #y #w #blk #p #r ). Added Encumbrance Threshold and Current. It also adds 1 setback die per rank over characters threshold to you dice pool. I'm not sure if this is right so please let me know if I have this wrong. :-/ Added 'View Attachments' to weapons to hopefully save some space on the sheet. GM Dice Pool, explained below. GM Dice Pool The GM Dice Pool allows the GM to set the dice of the dice pool without the other players knowing what was enter. The results will still show for everyone in the chat but the players won't know before the roll what dice was added. Setup: Create a character called ' -DicePool ' Open ' -DicePool ' character sheet and select the GM Dice Pool radio button From here the GM can set the dice. To minimize double click on the characters name. Now you can quickly add or edit dice. Note: all characters sheets will have the GM Dice Pool radio button but only the character sheet called ' -DicePool ' will be able to add dice to all rolls. To use this updated character sheet you will need to re-install the EotE-Dice.js If you find bugs please private message me. <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/</a>...
Wow, these features are really great. I was going to make a handout for my players with the skill info, but your solution is very elegant. Really happy with the work you're doing!
I have tried the dice script a couple of different ways and continue to get an error: 'Unexpected token &lt;' So, I think there is an errant character somewhere, but I will likely never find it without a JS editor. Ideas? I copied the complete .js file into the API script window. Nothing fancy. M00t
Steve D.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Are you using this code? <a href="https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Roll20/roll20-ch" rel="nofollow">https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Roll20/roll20-ch</a>... with the EotE character sheet? When you try rolling the first time the chat will output can't find '-DicePool' character but you will still be able to roll. If you create a character called -DicePool you will then be able to set the difficulty dice as the GM without the other players knowing.
Great work! A few suggestions: -Is there a way to output the skill in the chat window when its being rolled, it gets confusing when a bunch of players roll and trying to distinguish what skill was just rolled. -when rolling a weapon, output the damage, and name of weapon to the chat field. -Basic Success or Failure language after the roll for quick interpretation. Thanks for all the hard work!
Has anyone else been having problems with this script since the API changes? I get one or two rolls in and it says the sandbox closed due to error.

Edited 1406135703
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Do you have the error? Edit: More clearly, can you post a copy of the text of the error?
Restarting sandbox due to script changes... Spinning up new sandbox... "Character: --------------------&gt; Gaarbryyk" "Character: --------------------&gt; Johta \"Pony Boy\" Mantass" "Character: --------------------&gt; Chimera" "Character: --------------------&gt; Reom" "Character: --------------------&gt; ISB Agent" "Character: --------------------&gt; ISB Supervisor Cal Alsen" "Character: --------------------&gt; Wed Treadwell Repair Droid" "Character: --------------------&gt; Yav YiYar" "Character: --------------------&gt; Yiyar Caln" "Character: --------------------&gt; \"Too Low\" Talo" "Character: --------------------&gt; IT-3PO" "Character: --------------------&gt; Wheel Security" "Character: --------------------&gt; Wheel Security Starfighters" "Character: --------------------&gt; Nightflyer" "Character: --------------------&gt; Bounty Hunter" "Character: --------------------&gt; Bug Swam" "Character: --------------------&gt; Arboreal Octopus" "Character: --------------------&gt; Bark Rat" "Character: --------------------&gt; Nexu" "Character: --------------------&gt; Cybernetically-Enhanced Nexu" "Character: --------------------&gt; Tie Fighter" "Character: --------------------&gt; AS-B3TR" "Character: --------------------&gt; -DicePool" "Character: --------------------&gt; Reevos" "Character: --------------------&gt; B1 Battle Droid" "Character: --------------------&gt; Cratala" "Character: --------------------&gt; Harsol" "Character: --------------------&gt; Survivors" "Character: --------------------&gt; Roy" "Character: --------------------&gt; Sera" "Gaarbryyk" "Gaarbryyk" "Gaarbryyk" "Gaarbryyk" Sandbox closed due to error. Not much of an error message. I was just rolling random skills from the character sheet.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
That looks like it's from the log. Right above that, there should be a vaguely more specific error message in red.
Your scripts are currently disabled due to an error that was detected. Please make appropriate changes to your scripts and click the "Save Script" button and we'll attempt to start running them again. More info... For reference, the error message generated was: Sandbox closed due to error.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Wow.. that's decidedly un-helpful. What's the command you run to show the dice and cause the error? I don't have the script installed, but I'll give it a try and see if I get the same results.
It is not a particular roll as far as I can tell. When the scripts starts, I am able to do a few rolls using the GM pool from the character sheet. About the 5th-8th roll it stops working.