Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Inventory: Looking for Parent\Child type of system

Edited 1575356961
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Since Roll20 cannot do Nested Repeating Sections, I am looking for a character sheet that uses a Parent\Child system for their inventory. I need a system that shows items carried and items carried within that item. If you know of such a sheet that I can use as an example and/or copy from, please let me know. Trying to do this without having to have multiple Repeating Sections for each Parent item. Thanks.

Edited 1575367775
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
How do you visualise this working?  The potential problem I see is how to handle the names of the parent containers. You cant make dynamic dropdowns, filled with a list of things not defined in the sheet code. (I do seem to remember Jakob posting a very cumbersome way to do this, but I may be misremembering.) So as I see it, you'd need a way to define the containers in advance, or have a textbox for the name of the container, and rely on players typing it in perfectly every time (and you should never rely on that if you can avoid it). Once you have that, you then need a place to show the totals of each container, which would be outside the repeating section. That could be a second repeating section, it would be quite small - one row for each container. Or it could  be in the main repeating section: each item has its container, and the container shows the totals of all things within it. The actual sheet worker code is pretty easy to handle this, the tricky part is the design: how to define the containers?
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
GiGs said: How do you visualise this working?  The potential problem I see is how to handle the names of the parent containers. You cant make dynamic dropdowns, filled with a list of things not defined in the sheet code. (I do seem to remember Jakob posting a very cumbersome way to do this, but I may be misremembering.) So as I see it, you'd need a way to define the containers in advance, or have a textbox for the name of the container, and rely on players typing it in perfectly every time (and you should never rely on that if you can avoid it). Once you have that, you then need a place to show the totals of each container, which would be outside the repeating section. That could be a second repeating section, it would be quite small - one row for each container. Or it could  be in the main repeating section: each item has its container, and the container shows the totals of all things within it. The actual sheet worker code is pretty easy to handle this, the tricky part is the design: how to define the containers? Thanks, this fits along the line we where thinking. Using drop downs and filtering, we can do it with one repeating section - similar to the Pathfinder Community sheet. We plan on taking our time on this and we thank you for your input. As always, you are such a wealth of information and suggestions.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Mike W. said: Thanks, this fits along the line we where thinking. Using drop downs and filtering, we can do it with one repeating section - similar to the Pathfinder Community sheet. We plan on taking our time on this and we thank you for your input. As always, you are such a wealth of information and suggestions. Thanks :) The part that concerns me, is how to build the dropdowns (if you do use them). Do you plan on having pre-defined containers (like backpack, belt pouch 1, belt pouch 2, purse, horse, etc.)? If you did use predefined ones, you could have different selects for each genre, using the same attribute name, and a config setting for genre defining which select shows up. If you don't use predefined ones, I dont see how you'll manage to do it with a dropdown, and may have to use an open textbox.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Likely way out of scope for potential advanced use cases but in a rehash of the 3.5e sheet I used for my long term game I added 'container' text elements that covered the basics (Backpack, pouches, scroll case and a free text headed additional one), I also added one for 'storage' for things left at base but still useful to know about owning. Then I had a simple 'worn' section that gave the appropriate slots for people to put items and details into. All very basic but flexible and informative. The magic came in from an Aaron assisted sheet worker that filled out hidden elements with a csv list of the things put into the various containers. These invisible attributes could be called using macros to easily output to chat a nice, easy to read, list of the various options. Again, might not be applicable here but its often interesting to see if a problem can be solved in a simple fashion :)
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Ziechael said: Likely way out of scope for potential advanced use cases but in a rehash of the 3.5e sheet I used for my long term game I added 'container' text elements that covered the basics (Backpack, pouches, scroll case and a free text headed additional one), I also added one for 'storage' for things left at base but still useful to know about owning. Then I had a simple 'worn' section that gave the appropriate slots for people to put items and details into. All very basic but flexible and informative. The magic came in from an Aaron assisted sheet worker that filled out hidden elements with a csv list of the things put into the various containers. These invisible attributes could be called using macros to easily output to chat a nice, easy to read, list of the various options. Again, might not be applicable here but its often interesting to see if a problem can be solved in a simple fashion :) I will take a look, Thanks for responding.