Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Speak in different languages

Edited 1576010583
Mike deBoston
Compendium Curator
This works when only two players know the same language. It's just a macro with whisper. language-kraken /w @{target|token_name} ``[in kraken]`` ?{Message} In Kraken: [[1t[kraken-words] ]] [[1t[kraken-words] ]] [[1t[kraken-words] ]] Then I created a table with some randomish words: But the output is pretty nice. The two players use a macro to speak, so they don't accidentally type it into the chat window, the person they're talking to gets a message, and other players get mysterious words.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Mike, that would be an excellent addition to the Stupid Tricks thread . It's a solution to that idea that I have not seen before.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Great idea, did some testing/tweaking 'cause I'm a meddling so-and-so and came up with the following option for increased flexibility: /w @{target|token_name} ``[in ?{Language|dwarven|elvish|draconic|abyssal}]`` ?{Message} In ?{Language}: [[1t[?{Language}] ]] [[1t[?{Language}] ]] The only caveat here is that your language tables names need to match the output you want as part of the initial messages :)
Mike deBoston
Compendium Curator
I really love that addition, Ziechael. I'll post the combined solution into the Stupid Tricks thread tonight.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Nice!

Edited 1575920355
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It's a great extension of the  language character sheet stupid trick already on there. Then you could modify it even further to be something like: /w "?{Language|dwarven|elvish|draconic|abyssal}" ``[in ?{Language}]`` ?{Message} In ?{Language}: [[1t[?{Language}] ]] [[1t[?{Language}] ]] where the languages are also character sheets that players get assigned access to based on their known languages, and then all elvish/kraken/draconic/etc speakers get the message as well.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter