Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Animated Conditions

I purchased the  Animated Conditions by Daniel "SDM" Reis and they work great for reminding myself and players what tokens have conditions on them. The only problem I have is when I have to adjust HP on a token, I have to move the animation (due to the animation covering the entire token, change the HP and then move the condition back onto the token. The other option is move the condition to the back, adjust the HP, and move the token to the back so bring the condition back to the front. Can anyone think of any easier way to do the above that I might be missing. As a side note, I find that if I use the built in condition markers within Roll20 I usually forget to turn it off or even forget what condition it was for. I just find it easier to be able to drag or copy a condition marker onto the token and then drag it off or delete it when the condition ends. They're totally worth the extra steps, I just feel like there might be a better way that I haven't thought of yet.
Given the way that this pack is set up, with the platform treating the conditions the same as any other token, I really don't think there's a better way short of, perhaps, shaping player expectations to see them placed  adjacent to  a character rather than ontop of them, which would probably ruin the intention of the animated effects. Hopefully once the Token Marker update goes live we'll start seeing some folks making stuff to help solve these sorts of problems. :)
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
It wouldn't be very hard to write an API script which would cause condition tokens stacked on tokens to take on the properties of the token they are on top of. Then you could adjust the condition token's hit points, status markers, aura, etc. and it would propagate to the decorated token. This is essentially how my Bump script works. I could modify it for this functionality. An added bonus would be that moving one of them would then move the other. =D
The Aaron, and this script would work on monsters or even tokens that have hit points and vision only and not connected to a character sheet or monster stat block? What would you do for when you remove the condition from the token, I figure that since they're linked, the condition token just goes away leaving the original token behind until a condition is placed on it again. If this is doable, I'm up for trying it out if you're up to modifying your script. FYI, I've been using your Group Initiative script with macros in my games for years, that script is awesome and saves me so much time setting up combats.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Yup, it would work the way Bump does, if you wanted to try that out.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ok, that was fun! <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7992951/script-tokencondition-easily-add-full-token-condition-images-to-character-and-monster-tokens/?pageforid=7992951#post-7992951" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7992951/script-tokencondition-easily-add-full-token-condition-images-to-character-and-monster-tokens/?pageforid=7992951#post-7992951</a>
It works perfectly, just be sure that the token settings "Represents Character:" is set to the right character sheet before setting it as the Default Token for the Condition Character. I totally forgot that step and it didn't hit me right away that I skipped that simple and obvious step.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Sweet! &nbsp;Let me know if you run into any problems or additional feature ideas.&nbsp;
The Aaron said: Sweet! &nbsp;Let me know if you run into any problems or additional feature ideas.&nbsp; I will if I come across anything.Just the fact that the condition moves with the token, links to that token's stats, and the condition can be deleted from the token is like magic to me. I am giving you a little monthly support on Patreon for writing that script, but also because I've used your scripts in the past and they've made my games much easier to run. GroupInitiative is a lifesaver as I've mentioned, but the animated TurnMarker is one of my favorites. I also use modified version of Sky's LightingScript (removed the green dot for your TurnMarker) is my main API for running face to face games. Truly amazing what you guys do with code. Thanks for writing this one!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
As an inverse to this script, you could designate a character as a mount and have it default double size and under the token. Instant horses! ;)
keithcurtis said: As an inverse to this script, you could designate a character as a mount and have it default double size and under the token. Instant horses! ;) I could see that being useful in my Tomb of Annihilation Game where the characters purchased racing dinosaurs. The HP couldn't be linked since they would have to be tracked separately, but the tokens could be linked and moved together which would be amazing.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Oh yeah, that would be an easy modification. I'll think on that! And thanks for the support! &nbsp;I love making scripts but I don't get to do it as much as I'd like. &nbsp;Doing little scripts like this is a great way to scratch that itch! =D
The Aaron said: Oh yeah, that would be an easy modification. I'll think on that! And thanks for the support! &nbsp;I love making scripts but I don't get to do it as much as I'd like. &nbsp;Doing little scripts like this is a great way to scratch that itch! =D I'm sure with this community little ideas come up all the time for creating little scripts like this. If I had the time I would love to learn how to write this stuff.
keithcurtis said: As an inverse to this script, you could designate a character as a mount and have it default double size and under the token. Instant horses! ;) That's what I use the Carry Tokens script for. Also, I've been thinking I could upload the tokens for the PCs as custom token markers set for such a purpose. So many options.
I came across a problem today, Group Initiative API was rolling for Initiative but not adding the tokens to the Turn Order. I'll try to post the error below that I received, but it doesn't always produce an error for me unless I start trying to reset the Round Counter which is what is currently posted below. When I Disabled this new Token Condition API script then Group Initiative works fine. Since the Token Condition was the newest script I added to the campaign I figured disabling it first made the most sense. TypeError: Cannot read property 'get' of undefined TypeError: Cannot read property 'get' of undefined at apiscript.js:3138:40 at Function._.each._.forEach (/home/node/d20-api-server/node_modules/underscore/underscore.js:186:9) at apiscript.js:3134:11 at eval (eval at &lt;anonymous&gt; (/home/node/d20-api-server/api.js:154:1), &lt;anonymous&gt;:65:16) at Object.publish (eval at &lt;anonymous&gt; (/home/node/d20-api-server/api.js:154:1), &lt;anonymous&gt;:70:8) at TrackedObj.set (/home/node/d20-api-server/api.js:1023:14) at updateLocalCache (/home/node/d20-api-server/api.js:1321:18) at /home/node/d20-api-server/api.js:1611:7 at /home/node/d20-api-server/node_modules/firebase/lib/firebase-node.js:93:560 at hc (/home/node/d20-api-server/node_modules/firebase/lib/firebase-node.js:39:147)
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Oh?&nbsp; That's great debugging.&nbsp; I thought I was seeing something similar but hadn't tracked it down to TokenCondition!&nbsp; I'll take a look, I'm working in that script right now anyway. =D
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ok, I think I've got that error fixed.&nbsp; It certainly is adding tokens to the Turn Order correctly now. Additionally, I added a ton of new features, so see the TokenCondition post for details!
I wasn't entirely convinced it was TokenCondition causing the error, but I figured you would try to recreate the error and then I'd know for sure. I'll load this up later today and give it a try to see how it does and to check out the updated features. Thanks Aaron, you rock at these API scripts!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I'm not entirely sure the error message you got came from TokenCondition, but it was preventing things from going to the turn order, which is fixed now.&nbsp; If you see the error message again, I'll keep digging. All I can really tell for sure is that somewhere in an Underscore.js call there is a Roll20 object that is undefined. You could add up the number of lines in each script until you get 3138 and figure out where the line of code is, but that's about it. I could help with that if you want to PM me a join link.&nbsp;
That gives me an idea of where to look in case I run into the problem again. I figure you start counting from the first script and work towards the last one in the order they load into the campaign? Couldn't I create a temporary script and paste all the scripts together to find the line, I think I recall seeing that it gives each line its own number in the edit screen. I figure you must using an editor that does that for you like Notepad++?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You could do that.&nbsp;