Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Your Preferred Format for Video Actual Plays?

Edited 1577652669
Howdy, folks, like to pick your brain for a moment. Assuming you enjoy watching other people play on Roll20 (or recording your own games for archiving), I'm curious which format you prefer of those below (or another I missed that floats your boat). 1) Player Audio Only.  Roll20 dominates the screen and maps, token movements, dice rolls, images, etc. are all seen, but players are only heard (i.e., no webcams). 2) With Video. Video is added unobtrusively, in a line at top or bottom. 3) Video Dominant. The players' video feeds and Roll20 are split closer to equal, giving the video much more prominence. May not even be used as a map, but simply as a shared area for inspirational/game-appropriate images. Here's a screenshot that might make it clearer. Personally, I prefer audio only when GMing, but I'm not sure if that's because I think it's legit a better format or if I just don't want to fiddle with one more thing. Thanks!
While I prefer the Audio only format followed by the with video format, a lot depends on cast and audience, as well as the intent of the broadcast. The Audio format would work best in a game with a lot of action and a lot of verbal fencing between the players, rule lawyering or gaps with "Where did Fred go? Fred it's your turn..." are going to emphasise the more boring aspects of this method. The with video option is best with a lot of interplayer banter, where the focus can jump back and forth. This method can also be a small D&D game played over a montage of snacking, drinking, vaping and nose picking lit with cellphone glow. The primary video with backgrounds works best with an attractive perky cast that never break the taboos of video production. As a show this really works best with people with some acting acumen and an appearance and grooming standard hard to find in a pickup group, a successful iteration of this was Miss-Clicks , which featured very attractive young women with flawless hair and makeup, you barely noticed the game.