Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can't Upload Custom Sheet Content

All of a sudden I am not able to upload new content for my custom character sheet.  The browser console says: "The character encoding of the plain text document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the file needs to be declared in the transfer protocol or file needs to use a byte order mark as an encoding signature." Things seemed to be fine about 30 minutes ago.

Edited 1578863448
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Might be related to this Matt <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/4877827/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/4877827/</a> The sheet broke because either special characters were added, or because the file encoding was changed. I have updated the file encoding to be UTF-8 without BOM (some editors will have the options "UTF-8" and "UTF-8 with BOM" and others will have the options "UTF-8" and "UTF-8 without BOM", whichever you have just make sure you pick the one that does not have the&nbsp; BOM included). Be sure to change the settings in your text editor to save the files as this type as well, or every time you save it will change the encoding back to the original version. I have already updated the version in the Character Sheet repo, and pushed out the update. It should be working as intended now.

Edited 1578864994
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I was just coming here to post about this issue as well.&nbsp; I don't see how it can be a problem with encoding, since I was copying bits of code from one custom sheet game to another without going through any other editor in between.&nbsp; So it was all from Roll20 editor to another Roll20 editor in another tab.&nbsp; Although the messages I get seem to think encoding is a problem. Firefox gives me a totally white screen with no error messages without looking at the log, which says this: The character encoding of the plain text document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the file needs to be declared in the transfer protocol or file needs to use a byte order mark as an encoding signature. Chrome gives me an error 500 image.&nbsp; (I was going to upload an image of that, but there was an error attempting to upload that.&nbsp; Maybe related?) The console error is even shorter than the one from Firefox: Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 () Something is out of whack somewhere. I wasn't making a lot of changes, so I'll try just try typing it all in, and see if it saves it that way. Edit: It is the same if I am typing into the editor and attempt to save.&nbsp; It just won't cooperate.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Kraynic said: Edit: It is the same if I am typing into the editor and attempt to save.&nbsp; It just won't cooperate. Strange...&nbsp; I just edited and saved in the editor using Chrome on the Main server w/out an error.&nbsp; I have no clue.

Edited 1578868273
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Maybe it is an amazon server issue and my game is on one that is having trouble?&nbsp; Maybe I should make a copy of that game and try again (something I didn't try before). Edit: It did work with the copied game, so it was game specific somehow.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Well, scratch that.&nbsp; It was working for a while, and now it is doing the same thing in the newly copied game.

Edited 1578876226
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm getting the&nbsp; Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 () error in Chrome as well now... workaround: I've moved editing to the Dev for now.

Edited 1578878117
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
Hey folks! Thank you all for the reports. I've escalated this to the dev team and we're investigating right now. However, to better understand the issue, would you all mind providing me the below information, please? Thanks! Your approximate geolocation (i.e. Los Angeles - California, Paris - France, etc.) Your internet service provider Update : It looks we may have found the issue and it should be fixed. Would you all mind double-check on your end to see if the problem is resolved and letting me know the results, please? Thank you for your patience!
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Yes, it is working for me again.&nbsp; Thanks!
Working for me now too. Thanks.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Ditto.&nbsp; Thanks for the update/fix.