Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Adding Python to Supported API languages

Score + 16
It has gone over 4 years since this came out and python has become more popular since then. So I give it a shot and see if people agree that other languages should work in the API like python.
Isn't Python mainly a backend language? I haven't used it in a long while so I might have it wrong...
Support for multiple languages sounds very costly for a feature that is only used by a very small amount of people? Look at&nbsp; &nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-api-scripts/graphs/contributors" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-api-scripts/graphs/contributors</a> &nbsp;and its clear how little the amount of people is that actively write and share api scripts.
Apart from all the problems: Is it anything you you can do with python that is either impossible or complicated to do with js?
Not everyone learns to code with javascript. There is some solutions that can be used with phyton.&nbsp;
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
From what I have read, python isn't generally compatible with web browsers and needs some sort of javascript conversion to work with browsers.&nbsp; Has this changed?
The API sandbox runs on a Roll20 server and not on the browser.&nbsp; Javascript has the advantage that it is the same language as used by browser and Roll20 self.&nbsp; Making a python sandbox is prohibitive expensive (extra dev, test, maintenance) and opens an enormous can of worms.
I'd love API python so I connect scripts with other applications like a Telegram bot to get character info
Articblast
Pro
API Scripter
If they would open the api up and provide each pro subscriber with the ability to generate api token, then we could self host our own servers and develop in whatever language we wanted.&nbsp; The only tricky part would be handling the request throughput.
Have there been any developments on this front? Would be very interested in writing some scripts.
Yeah well, as someone who is proficient with python, I would be very interested if that were implemented XD Having to learn JS has been prohibitive on my side. I just don't have time for it. If anyone's working on this, I'll be very happy.
I would get pro if it allowed me to program in python. I know quite a few programming languages but python is ideal for making quick little scripts that do things like opening doors, applying token markers to players etc.&nbsp; If we had api access tokens like you have for youtube, google, telegram, discord etc etc I could make a translation library for python but unfortunately the code has to run on roll20's servers for some reason.... It seems roll20 doesn't want to bother with the throughput of implementing api access codes.&nbsp; I have a few servers that run code for me and I wouldn't mind running a roll20 bot on there..... One of them is already running code for dnd haha. (Just a simple discord bot for calculating dice probabilities, dividing money in a few different ways (weight, value, etc), track XP, give quick access to item descriptions, etc etc).
I'm a Perl developer that just switched to Python. Would love if I could use it to do the scripting.&nbsp; Two of the most popular web frameworks are based on Python&nbsp; (Django and Flask). With that said, may be more work for the Roll20 tham than is worth it. Anyone know what web framework Roll20 is developed on?