Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Lost Mines of Phandelever (New players welcome!) Sundays @ 08:00 GMT+1

Edited 1581713272
"Lost Mine of Phandelver, at its core, is an adventure for four to five characters of 1st level. During the course of the adventure, the characters will most likely advance to 5th level. The adventure is set a short distance from the city of Neverwinter in the Sword Coast region of the Forgotten Realms setting. The Sword Coast is part of the North-a vast realm of free settlements surrounded by wilderness and adventure." A great adventure for beginners and seasoned D&amp;D'ers alike where my overall goal is to find like-minded players who wants to play D&amp;D on a steady basis. I have added new encounters, quests and random goodies to spice up the standard version of this adventure. Requirements to join: •&nbsp; Must be 25 years or older •&nbsp; New to D&amp;D and/or this particular adventure •&nbsp; Have an easy going and nice personality •&nbsp; Optional: Have the VTT Enhancement Suite plug-in installed (Firefox browser only). It's free and allows me to use cool things in-game such as animations. You can grab it here: <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/da/firefox/addon/roll20-enhancement-suite/" rel="nofollow">https://addons.mozilla.org/da/firefox/addon/roll20-enhancement-suite/</a> Game Details •&nbsp; Length: Weekly sessions lasting 3-4 hours depending on roleplay and number of players. The time is not set in stone, but for now it will re-occur weekly at the same time as this one starts. Please do not apply if you know that you cannot attend on a weekly basis •&nbsp; Lost Mines of Phandelver. Dungeons &amp; Dragons 5th edition •&nbsp; Level Range: 1 •&nbsp; Group Size: 4-6 •&nbsp; Difficulty: Easy/medium if you are careful and work together as a party. Hard if you just run head-first into every battle •&nbsp; Combat/Roleplay Balance: Combat is nigh unavoidable and roleplaying is encouraged, but only at a pace you feel comfortable with •&nbsp; Excessive swearing, bullying, racism, homophobia and talk of politics are not permitted during the game session •&nbsp; Communication: Voice via Discord Character Creation •&nbsp; The in-game charactermancer will serve as your character generator •&nbsp; In terms of alignment feel free to pitch me your ideas and we’ll see if it fits into the story. I want you to be able to play what you’d prefer, but it has to make sense – especially if other players are involved •&nbsp; If you wish to play an exotic race (such as a drow or perhaps a trollkin from Midgard) let me know so we can see if we can make it work in the game, rp-wise. Having a full party of exotic races simply isn't realistic and would cause the party to be scrutinzed almost constantly •&nbsp; Ability scores are determined through point buy or rolling for your stats (roll three times and select the best one) •&nbsp; Backstory. Having a backstory is not mandatory, but if you wish to write one, I will do my best to incorporate it into the main story •&nbsp; Your character will be reviewed by me before being accepted. That goes for your characters portrait/token as well About Me As a DM I prefer catering to a well-written story and present the characters with morally difficult choices as well as making the decisions matter onward in the game. I believe a good game of D&amp;D requires the players to feel a sense of urgency and respect that their characters can die, if they are not careful. I aim to present challenging encounters which require teamwork, tactics and a bit of luck to overcome. As for me personally I am a 37-year old veteran roleplayer from Denmark. I grew up with D&amp;D and Baldur’s Gate as some of my favorite pass time. I am relatively new to the Roll20 platform and this way of enjoying D&amp;D, but I have re-discovered the joys the game brings, the unbridled creativity it requires and – of course – a great way to meet likeminded players. My discord is: Darion#8656 About You Your prior experience in D&amp;D is not important. I run new player friendly games. As a person I imagine you are tolerant, easy-going, friendly, patient, focused, creative and 18+. I look forward to playing with you. Apply now @ <a href="https://app.roll20.net/join/5822177/8NL8aw" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/join/5822177/8NL8aw</a>
House Rules &amp; General Guidelines In this section you will find most of the rules which I have stolen or modified to suit my prefered style as a DM. Make sure you read them thoroughly as the theme might not fit your style. If you are a new player this would probably translate as playing a game on hard-mode, but I don't see that as a negative thing. It makes your think on your feet and my experience is, that it makes the players more invested in their character and the game. The number 1 rule and most important is to have fun. We are all spending our spare-time chasing a creative escapism where we feel comfortable and challenged at the same time. Be nice Be patient Apply yourself and help the others Participate Accept that I as the DM have final say in rulings Rules: Character Creation Bloodied Flanking Lingering injuries Massive damage Exhaustion Madness &amp; Sanity Matthew Mercer's Resurrection Rule Resting Hiding in combat Poppin' Potions Player upkeep Meta gaming Realism Character Creation Point-buy system using the in-game charactermancer. As a rule try to make a character that works with your party. Composition is important in order to survive, that being said, it is also important that you play something you feel invested in. I have a wide selection of races that are available (some even from the realms of Midgaard, borrowed from Pathfinder). If you select something that would be considered 'exotic' to me as a DM or the campaign setting in generel, make sure you clear your choice with me and come up with a cool hook that makes it viable. Same goes for your characters motivation/alignment. You can play as an evil character, but it has to come with an agenda. You cannot just be a murdering psychopath. Bloodied Hitpoints for both player characters and the enemies themselves are mostly made evident through roleplaying. Nothing breaks immersion more than someone saying: "Ugh, I'm down to three hitpoints, heal me!" As a DM I use the 'bloodied' condition to indicate to the players what the status is hitpoints-wise. Being bloodied means being at 50% health or lower. Flanking +1 to attack rolls if one or more allies are engaged in melee combat with an enemy. Lingering injuries If a player gets reduced to 0 hp and fails a constitution save with a DC 15, they roll once on the lingering injury table as per page 272 of the Dungeon Masters Guide. Massive damage If a player or monster takes damage from a single source that equals to 50% or more of its hit point maximum it must succeed a DC 15 constitution save. If still concious the DM rolls on the 'System Shock' table as per page 273 in the Dungeon Master's Guide. If the target gets knocked unconcious from the hit and fails the constitution save, roll on the 'Lingering Injury' table instead. Exhaustion Being an adventurer is dangerous and stressful business. To emphasize this players recieve the exhaustion condition whenever the following occurs: Recieving a critical hit. Being reduced to 0 hp or by failing a death saving throw by 5 or more. Certain other events can also trigger exhaustion. If a character isn't suffering from starvation or thirst, a long rest removes one level of exhaustion from that player as per the Player's Handbook page 291.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Madness &amp; Sanity Adventuring can be nerve-wrecking for even the sturdiest character. To mimic this the rule for 'Madness' and 'Sanity' applies to this game as per page 258 and 265 of the Dungeon Master's Guide. This rule usually comes into effect if the character witnesses something truly horrific, or sees an alien or otherworldly being for the first time, gets mindcontrolled or affected by the mind of another being, certain spells or seeing a party member die. Matthew Mercer's Resurrection Rule Dying can sometimes feel underwhelming with all the spells available to negate the death of a fallen comrade. To counter this the following rule is added to make dying a risk/reward gambit. The rule states: "If a character is dead, and a resurrection is attempted by a spell or spell effect with longer than 1 action casting time, a 'Resurrection Challenge' is initiated. Up to three party members can offer to contribute to the ritual via relevant skill checks. The overall DC is affected by how well the contributing characters roleplay their role in this endeavour. The DM then rolls a single unmodified DC 10 'Final Resurrection' check (increasing by 1 for each previous succesful resurrection that character has undergone). For each succesful contribution the DC is lowered by 3, wheras a failed contribution skill check adds 1 to the DC. If the DC succeeds the character (if willing) returns to the living. Otherwise, if failed, the character is truly dead. Resting Short rests are 4 hours and long rests are 24 hours. This is to add a higher deficit to player choices and managing their ressources. Hiding in combat Usually no. It would require your character to break line of sight, succeed a stealth check and then change positioning without being seen. Poppin' Potions The world of Dungeon's and Dragons can be dangerous - especially if you are unprepared or have to spend an entire action on drinking a potentially life-saving potion. To counter this I allow characters to prepare 1 potion ahead of time that they have fast and easy access to in combat. The prepared potion dangling in the characters belt thus only costs a bonus action to pop and drink. Player upkeep Your characters living expenses are 1g x level pr. long rest. This covers food, drink, gear maintenance and basic reagents.&nbsp; Meta gaming As a rule I try to enforce minimum meta gaming, where characters speak out of their characters, typically to discuss strategy, which can feel necessary in combat. This however breaks immersion and as such try to refrain from going: "Hey Tom, how many hitpoints do you have left?" It is possible for your characters to shout short commands and interact during combat, but only as long as it makes sense from an roleplaying-perspective. After the first round of combat I allow the players 1 minute to confer what the strategy should be for the following turn. Realism I try to roleplay the encounters according to realism and the opponents intelligence.