Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking for a fantasy war simulation system

N Robaina
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I'm currently running a D&D campaign that will feature an invading army trying to conquer a region.  I would like to run some battles, but I don't see any support for a virtual tabletop wargame like Battlesystem or Warhammer Fantasy or Warmachine.  Any suggestions on how to pull this off?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Assuming you mean 5e, there really isn't an official mass combat system to begin with. Keeping in mind that the forums exist to talk about Roll20 and not systems or RPG rules, are there some requirements that you need in order to run a wargame?
Gold
Forum Champion
Wonder if you can run it as a side-game of Lords Of War, and then whoever wins, take that storyline back into the DnD campaign. <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/117/lords-of-war" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/117/lords-of-war</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUimlGOu0mg" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUimlGOu0mg</a>
N Robaina
Pro
Marketplace Creator
@keithcurtis, yes, I'm running a 5e game on Roll20 and am looking for a war combat simulator to use for that campaign in Roll20 as a mini-game within the campaign. @Gold, never heard of Lords of War until I read your post so thanks for bringing that to my attention.&nbsp; I'll have to check it out.&nbsp;

Edited 1581873049
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
keithcurtis said: Assuming you mean 5e, there really isn't an official mass combat system to begin with. Keeping in mind that the forums exist to talk about Roll20 and not systems or RPG rules, are there some requirements that you need in order to run a wargame? I believe there were rules written in an Unearthed Arcana titled "When Armies Clash" that had rules for this type of combat in 5e, though the Unearthed Arcanas are unofficial playtest material. It would be worth searching for at least. That Lords of War looks really interesting as well, I too may need to check that out! I've always been a fan of strategy war games in general.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Just remember that when you find what you are going to use for the game, don't forget the terrain, minis, and the new token status icons that you can find in the Marketplace.
Also try looking up heroes of battle 3.5 dnd it had lots of mass combat system that ive carried over to 5e
Matt Colville created a simple Warfare system that worked wonders for us. It's part of the Strongholds and Follower Book but the warfare part is free and available online.
Yes thats the 3 0 version of the heros of battle 3.5 book good stuff fit also
This&nbsp; is ancient history by&nbsp; now, but old AD&amp;D Birthright&nbsp; had a very fun anf functional mini-game for field battles. It's&nbsp; not&nbsp; hard to&nbsp; recreate&nbsp; if you can find the materials somewhere.&nbsp;
N Robaina
Pro
Marketplace Creator
@Ravenknight, thanks for that suggestion. &nbsp;I’d forgotten that I had that book and that it has that system in it. &nbsp;I think it will work just fine.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've recently begun looking into porting the old Warhammer system to fit with a 5e game for mass combat. It's very early days but I'm hopeful that I can utilise the 5e stat blocks for a 'unit' and use the Warhammer to hit/damage system to run the actual battle... given the amount of free time I have it will likely be a lifetime away from being actually useful to anyone bar me but it's a potential option for mass combat using preexisting rules ;)