Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Session Request

Throughout high school and college I curiously watched from a distance as groups of kids played D&D in the cafeterias. Often confused, I wondered what exactly they were doing and why they were so excited staring at books and dice. At the time, I was intimidated by the amount of literatures and knowledge needed to play the game and could never quite muster up the confidence to approach any of the rag tag misfits to ask if I could watch.  Recently, I started watching Critical Roll. Being somewhat of an insomniac when I am out of work, I needed a tool to help me fall asleep. I thought, what could be a better sleep aid then a bunch of people streaming themselves nerding out while playing D&D. Boy, was I wrong. I was instantlly hooked and found myself staying up to watch them hilariously plow through their adventures. This has inspired me to take a leap and finally try the game out for myself. But there is a problem. I dont know one person who plays. Then it occured to me that this day in age there has to be some online community and interface to play the game remotely. With a quick search I found myself here at roll20 and I am completley amazed at the system and community you have all created. But there's still one problem. I've never played a D&D game, or any other tabletop RPG in my life. I've gone through the roll20 tutorial and I've done a little research on the game itself, but to get into an actual game is quite daunting. I have yet to find a game suited for a completley clueless pubbie like myself. My complete lack of understanding of the process makes joining a game intense. I know that I cannot be the only person who has or currently feels this way. This is not a knock to this community or site.  Finally, after all of the wind and hurt blerf above, I come to my request. Is it possible that a group of experienced veteran players with a passion for teaching, sharing knowledge, and bringing new players to the game to come together to form a series of sessions about 2hrs in length that gives a crash course in character development, rules, and the roll20 system using a campaign designed specially for this task? Something that can be reused by future mentors. If any of you veterans find this ideal intriguing, feel free to use this thread to begin the process. I look forward to seeing what you come up with and hope to test your sessions out. 
1582795661

Edited 1582801659
There's a free module on Roll20 called "The Master's Vault". It's geared towards new players on both sides of the table. I would recommend looking for sessions of that, as I found it very helpful in getting acquainted with 5e D&D and Roll20. Another thing that would be to your benefit, WoTC (Wizard's of the Coast) has a free PDF of the starter rules on their website. It'll give you a good idea of the most common rules, you can learn specifics when they come up. Welcome to the hobby! I wish you the best of luck on your future adventures! *Edit* You can also select "accepts new players" when using the join a game search to find new player friendly games
Thanks for the help and resources.
I would be happy to help you out if I can.  I'm relatively new, but have an OKish understanding of the concepts.  I can probably help you get enough knowledge to start playing with others. If this is of interest, then maybe we can chat on discord and walk through some things.  I'm learning to DM myself, so this can help me too.
1582848108

Edited 1582848241
I'm definitely interested in that Chris. What times are you usually on? Maybe we can develop a campaign to run other newbies through once we figure out some things.