Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Palladium Games] Heroes Unlimited questions

Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I have started working on a sheet for this game.  Since I haven't played HU since the early to mid 90's, I have forgotten most of what I may have known about this game.  Since I have been happily using the 1st edition of Palladium Fantasy, I don't have a lot of exposure to the various updates to the game system.  I do have a pdf (HU 2E) to look through, but I know that I will overlook things and that there are a number of resource books out there that add extra content.  I'm hoping to get some input from people more familiar with the game than I am to fill in some info for me as I build the sheet. The first question I have is about actions that require rolls that aren't actually attacks.  I am thinking of making a small section of the sheet to keep all of these together and wanted to be sure I got them all.  The ones I know of for sure that should have a button are: Dodge, Auto Dodge, Roll with Impact, and Pull Punch.  I think these all have their own independent bonuses, so are absolutely their own rolls.  What about entangle or disarm?  Entangle seems to be a type of parry, but if anyone gets specific bonuses to entangle, it might need its own button instead of lumped in with parry and being mentioned in parry notes.  Disarm looks like it can be it's own thing or lumped in with attack.  Is this something that needs it's own button, or is it usually just used as an attack? The second question I have is about vehicles.  I was originally thinking about doing vehicles as a repeating section, but on second look, I'm not sure that would work.  It looks to me like I might need to use repeating sections for turrets and different types of armor, because some vehicles can have quite a few of each.  That means the number of vehicles would be hard coded into the sheet.  Would it work if I just provide for one on the sheet and have people generate extra sheets for any extra vehicles they have?  How many vehicles do people usually have?  Any insight on these things would be helpful.
Lost West Media ®
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Hi Kraynic, a couple of words for you on the subject of HU and Palladium Games. Kraynic said: The first question I have is about actions that require rolls that aren't actually attacks.&nbsp; I am thinking of making a small section of the sheet to keep all of these together and wanted to be sure I got them all.&nbsp; The ones I know of for sure that should have a button are: Dodge, Auto Dodge, Roll with Impact, and Pull Punch.&nbsp; I think these all have their own independent bonuses, so are absolutely their own rolls.&nbsp; What about entangle or disarm?&nbsp; Entangle seems to be a type of parry, but if anyone gets specific bonuses to entangle, it might need its own button instead of lumped in with parry and being mentioned in parry notes.&nbsp; Disarm looks like it can be it's own thing or lumped in with attack.&nbsp; Is this something that needs it's own button, or is it usually just used as an attack? See page 66 of 2nd edition core rules for a complete list of combat terms.&nbsp; Everything that you mentioned above should have its own bucket and button.&nbsp; Note that there is an AR similar to Fantasy. Here's how I do it.&nbsp; Combat section is repeating for those that have an alternate form (like Nightbane or Werewolf) or take more than one fighting style. Feel free to visit the&nbsp; public workshop if you want to take a look at the Vehicles tab to get an idea of how I put things together in there.&nbsp; Repeating section would be the most elegant solution IMO. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/join/4945157/hIWPJg" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/join/4945157/hIWPJg</a> I might suggest acquainting yourself with the Rifts Ultimate Edition ruleset, as the system is universal and has not changed much since.&nbsp; Good luck in your endeavor.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Hmm, I did check out your sheet, but I don't believe I will do things that way for a couple reasons. First, anything in a repeating section can't be linked to a token (as far as I know).&nbsp; That keeps people from being able to throw out a token for a vehicle and link stats from the sheet to the token, which I think would be handy.&nbsp; The same goes for robots, mechs, battle armor, etc. Second, if I want to create a section for people to set up attacks that pull in all/most bonuses automatically, hand to hand bonuses need to have set attributes instead of being in a repeating section so that they can be directly referenced in a roll button.&nbsp; On the other hand, if I put in another hand to hand section, I can give it unique attributes and have a toggle that changes attack roll button macros from using one to the other. As far as Rifts goes, it includes a fair amount of content that doesn't seem (so far) to be present in HU, like specific body part damage, MDC/SDC damage ranges, etc.&nbsp; I figure it would just add to my confusion, though I will keep it in mind to see look at if I need clarification of a specific rule in HU.
Lost West Media ®
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I would agree that repeating sections would make your life more difficult if that is your intent.&nbsp; Prob better to make a separate tab for PC, NPC, or vehicle if we're getting into the utility discussion.&nbsp; In terms of confusion, I think you've picked the right system for sure :)
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
For any looking for progress on this sheet, I did start it.&nbsp; However, my job has connection with both health care and local government.&nbsp; My work hours and stress levels are not exactly going down, so I am not working much on the sheet at the moment.&nbsp; I do still plan on working on this (unless someone else beats me to it), but it will probably be a while.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I've started puttering around with this sheet a little.&nbsp; I've started working on a tab for psionics.&nbsp; My current thought is that I may end up needing a roll template for spells and psionics.&nbsp; While what I have done so far works well with simple abilities, I'm going to need more fields for damage, required saves, and such for the more complex abilities. Ideally, they wouldn't display in chat if left empty on the sheet. Yes, this is ugly.&nbsp; No, it most likely won't stay that color.&nbsp; It is easier on the eyes than the default grey though. These are both rolled from the same sheet.&nbsp; On the first tab of the sheet, I have a toggle to swap what name is displayed on rolls from public to private.&nbsp; I just thought it might be fun to be able to have the rolls labelled for the persona that is currently in use (for those that have a secret identity).&nbsp; Anyway, mostly a post just to say I am starting to gain a little time now and then to tinker on this again.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Didn't do much on this over the last month.&nbsp; Allowed myself to be roped into participating in too many games (I didn't used to think that was possible).&nbsp; Some of those are on hiatus now, so I have a bit more time.&nbsp; I have been tinkering with the roll template to make it easier to set up for psionics and spells: I'm hoping to get the hand to hand section section done today.&nbsp; I'm planning on having spots for 2 different hand to hand skills.&nbsp; If that is too limiting for some people, that will be an issue for another time.&nbsp; Then I can start figuring out the attack sections of the sheet.&nbsp; There will most likely be a collapsible section of toggles to configure how the combat section works, so it will certainly take some time to get all that worked out.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I know a while back I mentioned to someone working on a calculator for making mutant animals, but never posted anything on it here. The only field editable in the bottom calculator is the Starting Bio-E field.&nbsp; The rest are filled in by sheet workers.&nbsp; They are totalled by category based on what you enter in the areas above, and is then calculated down to the 0 at the bottom.&nbsp; The Size Change Bio-E is positive due to reducing size category, but will be a negative number if you increase in size levels from the original.

Edited 1593220958
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks to help from several people on the forums, I got the last obstacle out of the way for the hand to hand and attack sections.&nbsp; There may be things that need to be added yet, but it "should" be relatively simple to add anything else that ends up being needed (hopefully). I still need to do something for powers and vehicles, but I have functional tabs for psionics and spells, and am relatively happy with how I have the roll templates set up for those sections.&nbsp; I've been learning how to get parts to show or hide based on whether anything is in the fields or not, just to save having a bunch of empty fields print out for certain abilities.&nbsp; The spell section and template so far: And something with an attack and damage: If things go well, I will have the last 2 tabs far enough along to post a test game in a couple weeks. Edit: I suppose it would have been better if I had a value in the caster level stat so the range on Fire Bolt would have calculated correctly, but I assure you it does if you have something other than 0 in that field!
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I think I have all the needed tabs on the sheet.&nbsp; I need to rework the sheetworker for lift and carry capacity, and create some sort of toggle on the settings tab to allow you to switch between normal, exceptional, and super strength to trigger changes in how those are calculated. Hopefully I will have that in the next couple days.&nbsp; When I have those done, I will create a new thread and a public test game for people to see what I might be missing.