Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Add Status Marker Numbers Greater than 9

Score + 143
Status markers are very useful, but their usefulness is severely limited by only being able to use numbers 1-9 for them. For D&D specifically, this makes it problematic for anything beyond low-level encounters for ongoing damage of 10+ or resistance of 10+ or any other bonuses. Additionally, some GMs like to track encumbrance or supplies/rations with these status markers but with only the numerals 1-9, they cannot do so with anything other than very short quests. I imagine that other roll20 tabletop games could benefit as much or even more from adding support for other numbers to be put with status markers I think this should be a relatively easy fix that would be really great for all roll20 players and GMs. Thanks!
A thousand +1's to this. 9 is so limiting, I really can't use it to track much. Things I'd like to use icon numbers for, but can't because 0-9 is too small a range: Rounds a (de)buff will last. I pay Pathfinder, and most buffs start  with a duration of 10 rounds. That option is already a no-go. Imagine someone casting Shield of Faith and putting up the 'bold-shield' status icon with it's duration right there on it, then hitting "-" or each round or using an API to track its duration automatically. DC's of certain checks. I'd love to have a player make a stealth check of 22, and put up the 'ninja' status icon with a big red '22' right under it. Putting the stealth icon onto a GM Layer NPC with a DC up to 9 isn't really going to happen. Broken shield icon with HP left on a sundered shield with the broken status. It's doable until you start adding in enhancement bonuses to the shield HP, which is 10x the enhancement bonus Rounds left on a light-source. A torch lasts for 600 rounds, and the Light spell starts with a 60 round duration. Arguably there isn't enough space for 3 characters under the status icon, but it would be an easier way to track them. As it stands, there's only a couple of status icons I find worth using, and the numbers are often useless.
I'm necroing this due to the recent update to status markers.
+1 bump 2: bump harder
Gods. I forgot that I was the one that made this. Yeah this would be nice to wrap into the token marker upgrades.
Yes please!  I'm a pretty new GM to using Roll20, but this was something I ran in to almost immediately.  Was thrilled to see I could put numbers on to the status markers.  And then immediately let down when they couldn't handle double digits.  lol
+1 to this. There are conditions in games that last longer than 9 combat turns.
+1
+1
+1
Mr. Farlops said: +1 to this. There are conditions in games that last longer than 9 combat turns. FYI for you and everyone else the dm can in the initiative add a custom item and put round calculation to 1 so if i add bless put under player every time its turn comes up it add 1  when u reach 10 u know its up
+1 Lemming Fallen said: FYI for you and everyone else the dm can in the initiative add a custom item and put round calculation to 1 so if i add bless put under player every time its turn comes up it add 1  when u reach 10 u know its up I've tried this a few different ways. The turn tracker just doesn't handle it well. Once the "item" gets higher initiative than other things on the list it starts getting weird. The orders change. It's very buggy. It would be great to have a lot more support for the turn tracker, but one thing at a time I suppose. It would be a lot easier right now to just be able to have multiple digits on the token markers. 
+1
Recently a GM of mine had the great idea to try and use that for AC, so that he could see everyone's AC at a glance. But we're playing 5e, so 9 is obviously not enough for that. +1
+1
+1
+1
+1

Edited 1601854014
Would love to have it. But would be hard stuff for the UX team. Because currently we just select a marker and type the number. How to implement this user-friendly? When does the system know then that we are ready with typing?
Bernd S. said: Would love to have it. But would be hard stuff for the UX team. Because currently we just select a marker and type the number. How to implement this user-friendly? When does the system know then that we are ready with typing? Seems like it wouldn't be terribly hard to have it register 2 keystrokes rather than 1, and if you need 0-9 you'd type "01" then again I'm not a coder.

Edited 1602033939
Matt
Plus
Sean D. said: Bernd S. said: Would love to have it. But would be hard stuff for the UX team. Because currently we just select a marker and type the number. How to implement this user-friendly? When does the system know then that we are ready with typing? Seems like it wouldn't be terribly hard to have it register 2 keystrokes rather than 1, and if you need 0-9 you'd type "01" then again I'm not a coder. There are a number of ways it could be implemented: Have the token marker accept any string of numbers if they are pressed repeatedly while hovering over the token marker, but restarting when you are no longer hovering over the token marker. Potentially unwieldy, but gives total control. Have the token marker only accept a certain number of digits (2/3/whatever), then if you type in more digits than that, it overwrites. (e.g. if you type 2-5 and then type in 9-5, it will show 2, then 25, then that will be replaced by 9, then 95). I figure this would likely be the easiest fix, and even adding the option for just one more digit would give us ten times the granularity (00-99 vs 0-9) for one of roll20's fundamental functions. It could theoretically also truncate the string of numbers to two digits, so whatever the last 2/3/whatever digits typed are what are displayed. This would likely be a functional quick fix, but clumsy for users and probably a bit frustrating when trying to overwrite. Have a time-based delay where it will accept new number inputs as part of a multi-digit number within a specific time window after the last registered keystroke. Once that timeframe is exceeded, new digits added will replace the entire previous number. I feel like this would be the most user-friendly option, but probably not the most dev-friendly in terms of workload. Probably something better than any of these that the professional roll20 devs can come up with. Admittedly, I have not dug through roll20's source code so this very well be more difficult than it seems, but in terms of roll20 functionality overhauls in the Suggestions forum, this one seems like it has the potential to be a pretty low-hanging fruit.
+1
+1
+1 Found this because of our game today and we were hoping we could use letters on the icons to use hexadecimal. Solves the 2 key stroke issue mentioned above.
+1 Another way to implement the UX on this is to keep the current 0-9 functionality, but if you right click the marker, a text box comes up that you could put in any string.
+1 Although I use token markers with numbers incorporated.
+1!!   We need this!  Like everyone is saying, beyond low levels it becomes useless.  resistances of 10+ are the NORM at a certain point.
Jiboux
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
+1... And negative numbers
Jiboux said: +1... And negative numbers My support continues and I second negative numbers!
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
You can buy add-on token marker packs for this in the store.
This thread is six years old.

Edited 1639587368
Matt
Plus
Jay R. said: This thread is six years old. If my memory is correct, it is actually closer to 7 years.
Matt said: Jay R. said: This thread is six years old. If my memory is correct, it is actually closer to 7 years. I stand corrected. :)
Has this been implemented yet?
Gold
Forum Champion
Nathanial I. said: Has this been implemented yet? Not exactly, no, but there is a better alternative method than there used to be. You still cannot type the red Status numbers beyond 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9. But you can buy, or create and upload your own, "Token Markers" also called "Custom Status Markers", and these can be used to display all kinds of numbers, letters, symbols! Here are the ones you can buy/install: <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search?category=Art:Token%20Markers&amp;sortby=popular" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search?category=Art:Token%20Markers&amp;sortby=popular</a>
+1
+1 nothing worse than casting Fly and having it for 12 rounds (random 2 digit number, dont blow up at it) and having to use Wings + something to track it.... while a solution is a turn for it in the turn order tracker, the DM has enough to do, us players should be able to do our part even more
This would be a terrific help for all kinds of reminders. For 5e, I currently use Combat Master to get around duration tracking, but there are so many other handy things that having a token marker with 2 digits would help with.