Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

WARNING about Coronavirus panic online

WARNING about Coronavirus panic online (quotes are from Pat S.) If you are editing a character sheet in a Roll20 game room when that  red connection warning banner  appears,  wait  for it to clear. Otherwise, you can lose text within the sheet. I've only seen it happen when I've been working on the first "Bio & Info" page, though I've been warned it happens by a more experienced person. " It is because google servers that Roll20 uses are being overwhelmed. This happens when any major holiday happens and lots of people go online. It's not just the google servers. There are ISPs out there that are being overloaded due to this also.  I could be wrong but if the couple metrics that I saw online indicated anything, net traffic in American has tripled in bandwidth usage on the average. The red warning banner indicates your Roll20 connection is not stable or there. Anything you are doing in the game is not being transferred to the server but only stored on your computer in the browser cache." So if you exit, it's lost; but if you wait, it will get a chance to transfer the data. "Correct." The game room may even appear to be operating normally, allowing dice rolls, etc., but they will disappear from the chat when you return later.

Edited 1584228508
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Those are just my opinions and observations from over the years and was part of a recent discussion in my text community. They are not officially Roll20 nor am I part of Roll20 other than being a member so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited 1584229219
Just to be clear, I was also referring to a second experienced member who'd said something similiar, earlier.