Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Best script / macro to handle druid wild shape

Has anyone worked any script magic to handle a character wild-shaping? I mean, I suppose I could create a multi-sided token with one side for each wild shape, but that still wouldn't handle the problem of hit points (regular vs. wild shape), hit dice, and so on.
This post explains this.
Patrick said: This post explains this. Thank you!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
An alternative to running a script (assuming access to the relevant compendium entries) is for a Druid to have just 2 sheets, one for their primary form and one for wildshape. When they shift, the original token is sent to the GM layer and the Wild shape sheet is dragged onto the VTT with the correct compendium entry then dragged onto it to populate the sheet. Each time a new shape is desired the entry can be dropped onto it to update all of the values accordingly. Technically you can do this with 1 sheet and the compendium as the compendium entries update the NPC values, leaving the PC values untouched. Switching between the two views gives you the appropriate information... I tend not to do this because: I haven't tested it enough to be sure that it won't break the PC at some point The token won't update with the HP etc as you stipulate in your OP ??? Profit
Patrick said: This post explains this. Thanks for the link. I'm a bit bewildered by all the options mentioned in the thread. Will try to sift through it and figure out something how I can use what's being suggested. I'm not a macro / script guy at all, so it's hard to get all of it straight. :)
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Jay R. said: Patrick said: This post explains this. Thanks for the link. I'm a bit bewildered by all the options mentioned in the thread. Will try to sift through it and figure out something how I can use what's being suggested. I'm not a macro / script guy at all, so it's hard to get all of it straight. :) I'm about 90% finished with a Wild Shape solution that's a lot more streamlined than my contributions to that thread, using only one extra character sheet per Druid (plus an additional Wild Shape Tools character sheet per game), but I'm currently stalled with a few code issues to be resolved (because I'm really not a programmer) before it's really user-friendly enough to share with the world. Shameless link to one of those code issues (just in case this thread is being seen by any scripters that haven't seen that one yet).
KC . said: Jay R. said: Patrick said: This post explains this. Thanks for the link. I'm a bit bewildered by all the options mentioned in the thread. Will try to sift through it and figure out something how I can use what's being suggested. I'm not a macro / script guy at all, so it's hard to get all of it straight. :) I'm about 90% finished with a Wild Shape solution that's a lot more streamlined than my contributions to that thread, using only one extra character sheet per Druid (plus an additional Wild Shape Tools character sheet per game), but I'm currently stalled with a few code issues to be resolved (because I'm really not a programmer) before it's really user-friendly enough to share with the world. Shameless link to one of those code issues (just in case this thread is being seen by any scripters that haven't seen that one yet). Great to hear you're close to a streamlined solution! 
I just had a Druid join my campaign and ive been looking all over for a once and for-all solution.... I really hope you finish soon!!!!!! I wish I was more help.. Maybe message TheAaron privately and see if he can help?
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Brian S. said: I just had a Druid join my campaign and ive been looking all over for a once and for-all solution.... I really hope you finish soon!!!!!! I wish I was more help.. Maybe message TheAaron privately and see if he can help? Aaron's a very busy Arcane Scriptomancer and he's graciously taken a look at the code, but it's not quite as quick a fix as I'd hoped even for someone well-versed in Javascript.  Plus, he's a huge help just by virtue of doing his usual thing in adding to TokenMod's functionality and such.  I've been mostly waiting on 4 things before I could finalize what I've been working on: 1. Updated Dynamic Lighting to be in its final state so that I can confidently include the necessary new TokenMod commands to control vision settings for tokens.  I currently don't have a lot of confidence in the Updated Dynamic Lighting, but we'll see how that plays out over the next couple of weeks. 2. Getting setAbility's HTML replacements to work.  That way I could have a single ability which provides a drop-down menu of Wild Shape options to add to a Druid character.  Without it, I have to provide a button menu solution for upwards of a 100 abilities, which feels like so much unnecessary bloat, but if the HTML replacements can't work then it becomes necessary, bloated or not. 3. Getting setAbility to have the append functionality that ChatSetAttr has.  My system provides a button menu of Wild Shapes known to a Druid and it would be very nice when a new shape is added to have it automatically appended to that button menu.  Right now a player would need to manually copy a new button from a placeholder ability and paste it into the menu. 4. Getting TokenMod's report feature to work with currentside so that players would easily know which side number of their multi-sided token to use with which particular Wild Shape stats.  I tried hacking together a reporting system of my own with ChatSetAttr, but it turned out laughably bad so it'll probably be easier to just have players manually count image oositions along the slider when they right click their token and Choose Side. Basically, those four things would make it much more user-friendly and worth sharing with the community.  Currently it's just not quite to the point that I'd be comfortable letting it loose into the world.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, KC. Looking forward to this script at some point in the future!
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
It’s just going to be a method really, utilizing the scripts TokenMod, ChatSetAttr, and SetAbility (with some tweaks).  If I were an actual programmer I’d want to package it into its own API and streamline it even further, but I’m not which is why I’ve been stuck where I am for quite a few weeks.
Hey KC mind sharing the code you have so far? Im very curious to dig into it! I too am not a scriptomancer but I have been trying to learn and I would love to attempt to help tackle this!!!
I just use TokenMod and CharSetAttr,&nbsp; have a sheet made for each shape. Then use the following code to use Bar1 as normal HP, then Bar 2 as AC and Bar3 as HP for the beast form. So when changing you still have the main HP on any token. and when the token shifts it has its own sheet. !token-mod {{ &nbsp; --set &nbsp; &nbsp; ?{Choose Form|Giniger Tea,imgsrc#<a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/120010045/UI4SxcKD5ahEJFl42fpEhg/original.png?15864651795" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/120010045/UI4SxcKD5ahEJFl42fpEhg/original.png?15864651795</a> represents#@{Ginger Tea|character_id} width#[[70]] height#[[70]]&nbsp; &nbsp; bar2_link#ac&nbsp; bar1_link#hp bar3_link#hp_temp&nbsp; name#"Ginger Tea" |Dire Wolf,imgsrc#<a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/120009448/zcdrDcgD0KbFKGwhmAJrMg/med.png?1586465106" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/120009448/zcdrDcgD0KbFKGwhmAJrMg/med.png?1586465106</a> represents#@{Ginger Tea (Dire Wolf)|character_id} width#[[1*140]] height#[[1*140]]&nbsp; bar2_link#npc_ac bar3_link#hp name#"Ginger Tea (Dire Wolf)" &nbsp; &nbsp; } &nbsp; &nbsp; showname|yes &nbsp; &nbsp; bar1_link|Ginger Tea|hp }} !token-mod --set bar3_reset| /em is&nbsp; engulfed in the essence of nature as you see them transform before your eyes.
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Brian S. said: Hey KC mind sharing the code you have so far? Im very curious to dig into it! I too am not a scriptomancer but I have been trying to learn and I would love to attempt to help tackle this!!! I'm going to spend some hours today polishing what's possible with the API tools I currently have.&nbsp; Hopefully it will result in the cosmic humor of the universe delivering the updated tools shortly afterwards so that I have to update everything again, but even if it doesn't it will probably still be useful in its slightly clunkier form.
KC . said: Brian S. said: Hey KC mind sharing the code you have so far? Im very curious to dig into it! I too am not a scriptomancer but I have been trying to learn and I would love to attempt to help tackle this!!! I'm going to spend some hours today polishing what's possible with the API tools I currently have.&nbsp; Hopefully it will result in the cosmic humor of the universe delivering the updated tools shortly afterwards so that I have to update everything again, but even if it doesn't it will probably still be useful in its slightly clunkier form. Godspeed! I hope the universe obliges you. :)