Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Questions about MArketplace content (Waterdeep Dragon Heist)

I'm new to Roll20, looking to try and move my weekly in person game online.  I purchased the Waterdeep Dragon Heist module and a Plus subscription and I'm trying to wrap my head around a few things. 1.) The module has a "Tokens Page" which appears to be just an entire  page of all the possible tokens in the module.  Why would this be here?  Most of what I've read so far says that I should drag NPCs/Monsters from the Journal on to the map.  Plus, most maps seem to already have tokens in their respective spots on the map so the tokens page seems a bit superfluous, but I'm concerned that I'm missing something. 2.) In this module, and another small one I picked up (Tomb of Horrors) I've encountered Monster tokens that, for whatever reason, have been set to emit light.  There's a warehouse, for example, that is all dark, except for a few Rat tokens that, for no reason I can fathom, apparently glow with light at a distance of 30 feet.  :)  AS much as a bunch of glowing rats sounds pretty awesome, this seems like an over-site unless, again, there is something I'm missing. 3.) Some pages seem to have tokens placed on the GM overlay layer.  They are generally tokens that are not present, but could show up later (for example, a pack of city guard).  I assume those are there as a convenience as I can right click them and move them to the token layer to have them "show up"?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
1) That's a convenience page that is usually added to most modules.  It gives you a quick visual overview of everything you have to work with in the module, in case you want to think about mod'ing.  You can also select a group of monsters there and copy them, then paste them on other pages, if that's your jam.  Could even copy paste some encounter groups on that page, then copy the whole group and move it to another page.  Just a place to give you options. 2) Probably those monsters have darkvision or blind sight or the like.  Just because you, the GM, can see them, doesn't mean your players can.  Select a token on the map and hit control-L (command-L for Mac) and you can see what that token can see, including other visible light sources.  If the rat only sees its vision radius and not the others, it's not emitting light, it just has vision in that area.  You can check the settings on the token's Advance page and see if the "All Players See Light" is check.  If it isn't, it's just darkvision or the like. 3) That is precisely the reason, they are encounters that may show up at some point, but shouldn't just be visible when players come into the area.
AHHHH!  Ok, that makes sense about the glowing rats.  :)  I'll check them next time I'm in that game.
Yep.  The "glowing rats" were exactly as you described.  THough, oddly enough, they didn't have the "Has Sight" part checked.  But cool, thanks again for the info.
Elemental Flame
Pro
Marketplace Creator
It warms my heart to see all these Aarons working together. 
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
HAHAHAHA!  Makes me want to start an exclusive hangout game called "The Aarons." =D
Elemental Flame
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Please don’t make me change my name just so I don’t feel left out. 
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
=D
Yes, but apparently he is "THE" Aaron.....
Aaron S. said: Yep.  The "glowing rats" were exactly as you described.  THough, oddly enough, they didn't have the "Has Sight" part checked.  But cool, thanks again for the info. Note that checking "Has Sight" adds more calculation for the game to make. It is normal for monsters and NPCs with special vision to emit a light only they can see, but not have "Has Sight" checked. That way, the GM can see their range of vision, but it does not add as much overhead to the system.

Edited 1585234892
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Hahaha.  I was just "Aaron M.", but when I started writing a lot of API scripts, people would talk about "Aaron's TurnMarker script" or "Aaron's Bump Script", but there were other Aarons about, and there was always the question of which "Aaron" it was.  It seemed apropos to just change my name to "The Aaron" so the answer to that question would be more obvious.  "Which Aaron?  THE AARON!!!"   =D (and I also got tired of looking at the last poster on a thread and thinking "I don't remember posting on that..."  =D )