Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Seriously have no idea how to get characters into a game

I am looking at whether I want to use roll20 for my now isolated game group. I have used the app tutorial, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make characters or have invited players make characters to put them inside the app game when loaded. The tutorials and help files seem to be fairly adequate for the specific feature sets and how to use those, but there is almost no information about the larger concepts and how all of this logistically works.  Where do people add character sheets to the game? Where do we get the basic help for how to get started? Are we supposed to just KNOW how all this works? It is very frustrating to have a tutorial that starts with useless things like how to draw on the tabletop (use your freaking mouse!) but doesn't tell us the fundamentals (like how to have the characters in the game).  I DO understand that I can make an object in the app that is a character object, but the tutorial says that I need to load character sheets to those objects. I don't see any options for doing that.  Can anyone help point me to where I can learn these basic concepts for roll20 or explain how this works? 
KeithCurtis made this handy video for you:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLbmEAMN7g4" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLbmEAMN7g4</a>
1585348512

Edited 1585348829
Adding a default character Sheet to your game: Go to your Roll20 homepage. Click on the title of the game you want to add a character sheet too. Click Settings. Then, Game Settings.Scroll down to Character Sheet Template. Select a character sheet of your choice. (I assume 5e dnd, so in that case, just type 5e and select D&amp;D 5e by Roll20). Adding a Blank Character for Player to Fill out Open (Launch) your Game. Navigate to the Journal Tab. Add a new Character to the Journal. Name it "Player 1".&nbsp; Edit the Character so that you give permissions to the players. IE: "In Player's Journals" to All Players. And "Can be Edited and Controlled By" to All Players. Later, you can change this to be a specific player once they have joined the game (Once they are listed among the game's players).&nbsp; Your players can now enter the game, find a blank character sheet in the Journal, and fill it out to their heart's content.
ok thanks. So the tutorial tells the player that they need to add character sheets outside of the game. I was basing my frustration on not finding a way to do such a thing. Might be a good idea to change up the tutorial, or remove outright those sections that are no longer applicable. Also there are whole features that don't appear to be compatible with the latest versions of chrome (I just tried to use the default D&amp;D charactermancer and it won't pull up anything like what the linked youtube video shows, it just takes me to the character sheet and I have to enter it all manually).&nbsp; The whole experience so far with roll20 has been very clunky and non-intuitive. I'll keep with it until I figure out if this will work for me after I get past all the learning curve, but a better UI/UX would go a long way in making this less frustrating to get started on.
1585351508

Edited 1585351622
The charactermancer has to be enabled in the campaign settings for the game you create.&nbsp; Those are accessed from outside the game, on the launch page. *Note that the charactermancer is limited to the resources of the game creator and the player using it on roll20.&nbsp; So, if you don't have the player's handbook on roll20, you only get SRD choices.&nbsp; You can always manually fill in the sections though.