Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Offline Mode

Having an "offline mode" to be able to play even when a connection is not available could be great, especially if you play sometimes on the internet and sometimes not. When you meet  with friends in front of the real table, you still use the Roll20 without internet and let it upload the data once it goes online for the next remote game. Useful for playing also in dirty, isolated garages like mine sharing together a bottle of beer!!! Thank you and keep up the good work, Leo
Sorry, Roll20 is a completely online app, 100% of the game state is managed server-side.
^_^
No way to have an app for it in the future ONLY for premium users? Something like the Evernote app offline mode, reserved only to people who pay. Technically unfeasible?
I doubt it's impossible or anything but it would reguire huge amount of work and since pretty much 99 % of the users don't have a proble with the service being online this type of a thing isn't going to be a priority. At least that's what I'd guess.
Right, nothing is impossible with enough code :) It is just a question of time/cost versus benefit.
Ok.....let's see if I can bring a connection to the garage SOMEHOW...
Wireless adapter, and a range extender if needed.
Gauss
Forum Champion
100' ethernet cable? :) - Gauss
Ty M. said: Wireless adapter, and a range extender if needed. Gauss said: 100' ethernet cable? :) - Gauss I guess these are your best option. Failing this, you might also consider playing with pen and paper. You could screenshot+print out any maps you've done in Roll20 to use in real life. If you don't have the dice, you could download a dice rolling program to use offline.
I guess these are your best option. Failing this, you might also consider playing with pen and paper. You could screenshot+print out any maps you've done in Roll20 to use in real life. If you don't have the dice, you could download a dice rolling program to use offline. I tried considering everyhing: 1) Fund Roll20 for 100.000 USD and make them build the offline option :D 2) Use a 3G connection with local hotspot, but.....my garage is a BUNKER and nothing enters there... 3) So yeah, I guess pen and paper is the best. Print option, small miniatures and here we go!? ...mmmm..what a mess!
Ethernet cable is an option, but yeah, if you're going to sit in the garage, with your friends, paper and pen seems like the way to go :)
Yeah Asaram, the cable has its romanticism.. Especially if it will be dangling down from the balcony from my third floor apartment all the way down to basement Rapunzel style! AHAHAHA ...what a mess!!!
Tsk tsk. No no. Install copper tubing that feeds all the way, passing through a small machine with cogs and stuff partway down. Internet steampunk style!
 Apartments are tough. You could try 2 wireless routers with external directional high gain antennas if you need connectivity.
Asaram: maybe you convinced me!! Ty M.: yeah, I know but we are on low budget here in italy, and we play just once in a while LIVE BY GARAGE. I think I will try with a cellular positioned near the highest window and a bluethooth bridge.... Maybe funding for 100.000 USD is still an option, though... (^^;)
Yea, if you are only playing face to face, I wouldn't bother w/ roll20.  It's a wonderful system, but it's not meant to fulfill that role.
Gauss
Forum Champion
And yet, there are people that are not only using it for face to face, they are loving it. Heck, I want to start using it for F2F. If I only had a projector. - Gauss
Yeah Gauss, that's the point. It is not only the best way to play online. It is the best way to play in general. Anyway, tonight we are gonna try to play online DM+4 players. If the audiochat is going to work well, tomorrow I will become a supporter!!! Let's see....
Use Google Hangouts, not the built in stuff. Just my 2p :)
Well, Face2 Face use could also easily be done with a TV :-) I have tried using my 55" TV the same way I imagine people would use a projector. Great use! And +1 :-)
Ciao Leif. I don't want to use google stuff too much but...google hangouts works better? In which way? In fact we had some problems with users disconnecting at random yesterday.. I was broadcasting audio and video, while the players just audio to save bandwidth.. Leo
Gauss
Forum Champion
Benuker, the Tokbox A/V app we currently use has some issues that make it difficult for some people to use it. We have a lot of hope that WebRTC will replace it but until it does many people use either Skype (voice only) or Google+ Hangouts (Video and Voice).  - Gauss
Thank you Gauss. I will try it! Leo