Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Traveler MGT 2E Character Sheet Question Boon Bane Roll

Hi there, I recently got the MGT 2e core book and I am learning the system.  So I made game in roll 20 and used the roll 20 character sheet to learn how to make a character.   Everything is fine and dandy until I made a skill roll.  The roller gives me the number, plus another number called the Boon/Bane. Now according to the rules, a boon you roll 3 dice and take out the lowest and a bane you roll 3 dice and take out the highest.  My question is how do you do this, with only 2 numbers, considering there are many ways to make a 6 for example, 3, 3 , or 2,4.  You cant use this mechanic the way that character sheet rolls. Any help appreciated.  MAybe I am missing something. Thanks.
I just posted about this, because it looks like there's an error in the sheet. If you turn on 3D dice, you can see that it's actually rolling 3d6 when you hit the roll button, and then dropping the highest die result. So it's applying a bane by default, but hiding that fact (unless you use 3D dice, which I normally don't). What's frustrating is that there's no way -- that I can see -- to turn this off.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
It's usable with the current sheet...you just need to hover over the roll. So, for example, here's what I rolled: If I don't have access to a Boon or Bane, I ignore the Boon/Bane roll. If, however, I do do have a boon, I would hover the mouse over the roll result, to see what 11 actually consists of: In this case, I'd replace the 1 with the 6 (Boon roll) and get 5+6+4(skill mod)+1(situational mod) = 16 So, it's usable, and probably the best way to implement it in the game to speed up play, in my opinion. In my experience Boons and Banes are rare, so I'd rather the sheet do the math for me on the roll and allow me to do the math only if I need to apply the Boon or Bane. Unfortunately, the way Roll20 works, we can't display the individual roll and then add them up (at least not without the API) and display that sum. So, that's why I think the sheet author (not me, btw) took the right approach for this.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
If you still don't like that, you could create a custom Macro like this: Boon roll /r 3d6kh2+?{Skill+Attribute Modifier|0|}+?{Misc. Modifier|0} Bane roll /r 3d6kl2+?{Skill+Attribute Modifier|0}+?{Misc. Modifier|0} That would give you outputs like this: You could then add those Macros to the Macro tab of the game, make them available to everyone and then they could add them to their Macro Bar so they are always available.
Thanks for the clarification Finderski.