Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro to just write some text to chat in a box.

The monk Stunning Strike ability stuns a target.  Our table often forgets the specific effects of the stunned condition, so I would like to make the "Stunned" word in the effect text box clickable, and on-click it would post another box to chat that contains the details of Stunned condition.  I know I can add stuff like die rolls to an ability by putting `[[1d4]]` into the ability text so when the ability is clicked a roll will show up in place. What can I put into the ability text box to make it so there is some clickable text that pops up another text box when clicked?

Edited 1586543376
You could add an ability to the monk's character sheet (in the Attributes & Abilities tab) that contains the description of the Stunned condition.  Then you could add an Ability Command Button  to the description of their attack that refers to that ability. For example, if the ability was named "stunned-condition" and the character was named "Bob", then the ability command button to display the description in the text chat would be: [Stunned Condition](~Bob|stunned-condition). Mind you, that "|" is not a capital i, but a straight bar or "pipe" character.  Edit: You could also create a handout called "Stunned Condition" with the stunned condition text. Then, from another, different handout you can link to it by putting it inside brackets, like so: [Stunned Condition]. If you save this different handout like this, there will be a link to your "Stunned Condition" handout. If you right click that link and copy the URL of that location/address, then you can use that in the description of the character's attack like so: [Stunned Condition](<paste the URL here>). If your player then uses that attack and the description shows up, then anyone can click on the text "Stunned Condition" to pop open the handout you made.
Thanks for the reply!  That technically works, but the formatting ends up off because it puts the multi-line text across multiple messages, which then get broken up by the chat UI.  How can I wrap all of the text in a nice looking text box with a title and whatnot like the box I get when I click on the chat bubble over a class feature on a character sheet? Also, is there a way to make the link text linked, but not turn it into a giant red button?  It is pretty distracting when there is a giant red button in the middle of the ability text, and I would prefer something more subtle like the linked weapon name (where clicking on the weapon name of an attack roll will roll the damage).
There is a way to put the text in a nice text box, by putting it inside a roll template like the NPC Action template . However, ability command buttons are always giant buttons like that. If you want to avoid that, you should try to link to a handout as I explained in the edit to my previous comment. That way the button will appear very similar to the clickable weapon names in regular attack boxes. In fact, it might be a bit too subtle, but if I remember correctly you can make the text bold like so: [**Stunned Condition**](<pasted URL to handout>).

Edited 1586545085
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
What you are likely after is a  Chat Menu . You can get rid of the Big Pink Buttons on a per-computer basis by using this Stylus style: Inline Links on OGL Roll Templates Before and After
NPC Action Templates look like what I want.  Is there somewhere that lists all of them, or is that list the only ones?  If the ones in that link are it, I can make the NPC Attack template work, though it is annoying that the Name field gets dropped if you don't include any attack rolls. The reason I'm not keen on the Journal option is that I am a player, and only DMs can add Journal entries.  I would like to improve the quality of our games, without putting even more work on the DM's plate.  Roll20 annoys me enough already with how much work it makes the DM do rather than delegating to players (like only the DM can link tokens to character sheets, or setup token icon, etc.) and I don't want to make the situation worse my giving my DM even more work.

Edited 1586546361
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There are 9 templates on the page that Daniel linked. npcaction is probably the most versatile for what you are talking about.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Micah Zoltu said: (like only the DM can link tokens to character sheets, or setup token icon, etc.) To be honest, I am fairly glad it isn't something that is available to all players.  Most of the players I have had in my games would probably not abuse the ability to do this.  But there have been others... There is a way to do what you say there (without promoting everyone to GM), but it isn't apparent.  Well, there is a way if your GM/game allow use of the character vault.  Create your own game using the same character sheet as whatever game you are playing in.  Use the character vault to move your character from the played game to your personal game.  Create/set up your token as it should be for your character, then use the vault to move it back to the played game.