Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Calling character abilities from within other character abilities FROM ability buttons

I found a forum post regarding this topic:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7203587/calling-character-abilities-from-within-other-character-abilities" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7203587/calling-character-abilities-from-within-other-character-abilities</a> But I have a specific case that I can't get to work quite right. I would like to call another character's ability using an ability button, but can't get the syntax quite right. This is what I have tried (the button appears in an ability (character-one-ability) of Character One): &amp;{template:default} {{name=Title1}} {{Section=[button](%{Character Two|character-two-ability})}} And the ability of Character Two being called by the button (character-two-ability) is: &amp;{template:default} {{name=Title2}} {{Section=test2}} Now when I try this, I get the following when I execute character-one-ability from Character One: I don't get an ability button to the second ability, but instead the content of the section of the second ability, which is undesired. I have also tried the following syntax (from the linked forum post above): &amp;{template:default} {{name=Title}} {{Section=[button](%{@{Character Two}|character-two-ability})}} Which yields: I've saved and closed all of these abilities, as recommended by the linked forum post above, but doesn't resolve this issue. It looks like the issue may be that the calls are being made inline and trying to resolve multiple instances of the roll template? I'd like to not have to make partial roll templates in the second character's abilities that would be broken when Character Two executes them. Or maybe there's some trick with nesting the syntax within the () of an ability button? Is there a simple solution to this, or do I have to worry about using a bunch of html codes for nested symbols?
1586857132
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
When you run a macro, roll20 tries to evaluate every attribute and ability. You need to replace one of the characters in the call with a html entity to stop it being evaluated immediately. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/API:Chat#API_Command_Buttons" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/API:Chat#API_Command_Buttons</a> For this ability that would be replacing the % &amp;{template:default} {{name=Title1}} {{Section=[button]( !&amp;#13;&amp;#37; {Character Two|character-two-ability})}}
That works! Thank you so much! ^_^
1586906693
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Great :)