Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Missing spells.... still

Found this post from 2 years ago blaming WotC for Roll20 still missing basic spells (namely making playing a warlock a lot  of manual work!) Is there any plans to update this? I mean, I've paid a LOT of money (starting to regret it) to use/DM with Roll20 with my group under the impression that this professional site was at least complete, but tons  of functions, basic items, basic spells (even some stuff from the PHB) is missing requiring me to find it on 3rd party websites and copy/paste all the details into the campaign..... every... campaign.... There's some things I could overlook and consider "Hey we never thought of that before" like a warlock's spells auto-casting at the only spell slot they actually have at their level, but there's other stuff like when anyone casts Inflict Wounds, it rolls the attack die and only asks what level spell you're casting after the hit was confirmed. I can only imagine the Roll20 team is a hundred times busier just trying to keep things working during the COVID-19 crisis with everyone staying home with a lot more free time on their hands... but there's a lot of very basic stuff that shouldn't be an issue this many years after Roll20 has been up and 6 years after D&D 5e has been out. When can we, as players & GMs that have paid a lot  of money for something that still feels like a beta product expect to have something that feels like it has a little polish on it? Or at least all the basic  stuff?
The free D&D 5e Compendium only contains what is released in the free SRD, which is not the entire contents of the PHB. If you buy the PHB here on Roll20, you will have everything in that book in your Compendium.
Rabulias said: The free D&D 5e Compendium only contains what is released in the free SRD, which is not the entire contents of the PHB. If you buy the PHB here on Roll20, you will have everything in that book in your Compendium. I wish I could "dislike" your post in some way. Not because you're wrong, but because I really don't like the fact that I've got to spend another $30 on Roll20 (putting my total up to $280 just to lead a simple campaign when their website made no mention that everything  would be an addon even after you drop $100 on a pro membership and waste $50 on the Dragon Heist bundle that's almost useless for VTT games). I thank you for your reply, though, Rabulias. I was ignorant of that little detail. At least Roll20 is able to capitalize on the COVID pandemic in this way, I suppose. Go them...
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
It's not Roll20's fault in that, they legally can't supply anything beyond the SRD materials for free.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Many people can, and do, run games on Roll20 without dropping a single penny. Anything you spend is at your own discretion and for your own convenience. If you aren't happy with anything you've paid for you can always email the devs using <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> to discuss your options. They are usually very amenable to people who feel misled in any way. Disclaimer: I, in no way, represent Roll20. As a former mod however I offer my anecdotal evidence purely for your consideration... do with it what you please.
What you are paying for is time and effort. If you own the PHB (or other resources) in another format (the hardback book or say, D&amp;D Beyond), you can enter the information into map pages, handouts, and character sheets manually. You won't have the convenience of drag and drop, but you can enter everything yourself. This takes time of course, but you may have more of that available to you than money. If you have more money than time, then it makes sense to pay for someone else to have done the work for you, and on top of that it pays for development of additional conveniences like the Charactermancer and the drag and drop functionality. As B Simon Smith says, it is a legal matter as to what Wizards of the Coast has licensed people to do with their intellectual property. Roll20 does not wish to provoke opportunity attacks from lawyers.