Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Latest Github merge thingy

So the Star Trek the Last Unicorn was approved and "merged" six days ago.  I can't find it on the drop down sheet selection doohickey.  What am I missing? I have been fighting with github a lot recently, so I am trying to find out if I did any thing wrong.  Honestly, github has gotten really difficult for me, and every attempt to update a sheet or upload a new sheet has become a exercise in frustration. 
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
...okay, so that is there.  Neat!  So back to wrestling with github over other issues.  Thanks Andreas J.!
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Coal Powered Puppet said: [..] So back to wrestling with github over other issues. I  urge you to check out the GitHub for poets series, and then the Short Git Guide . And please conider starting to use the workflow where you use work in branches instead of submitting your PRs from your master branch. Much of your GitHub/Git troubles comes from from that. Could you tell what specific problems you are currently struggling with?
...well, since i have no idea what "workflow" and "master branches" are, its hard for me to describe the exact issues.   I know that I am suppose to update my fork of Roll20 more than I do.  The easiest method I found was deleting my fork and the local files, then forking the Roll20 master and download the local files again...which isn't easy or intuitive for me.  Basically, I have to figure out how to do it each time I try.  This is made worse by me having several sheets made/updated and can only submit one a week...if the submission actually goes through.   All of this is further aggravated by me making dumb mistakes and not filling out the .json properly.  So...yeah.  Me and github do not see eye to eye.

Edited 1587198066
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I feel your pain CPP and I have made more than a few mistakes when wrestling with github.  As mentioned, there's lot's of good info on the wiki... so not sure if this will help, but here's a method I use that's about as simple as I can make it for myself; Fork  roll20's repository.  Should only need to do this once. use github's desktop app to clone  my fork of roll20's repo . Should only need to do this once. use the Pull app to keep your forked master in-sync with roll20's repo.  Should only need to do this once. create a new branch  for any sheet you want to work on. Working on  separate branches will keep the Pull app from undoing any of local edits on your cloned fork and it will allow you to make separate pull requests for each sheet/branch. Always switch to the branch for the particular sheet you are working on. I use VSC to handle local editing and it detects which branch the desktop app has loaded so I don't accidentally make changes on the wrong branch or the master.  Very handy. use the desktop app to submit your pull requests to roll20's master repo. Do this for each branch as needed. after pulls have been merged, I verify the Pull app(this app automatically syncs once hour I think..., but you can manually sync anytime as well.  Instructions on how to that are on the Pull app page) has synced my fork and my clone. Use the desktop app to push any changes on your online fork to your local clone. if my master code looks like it's in sync with roll20 master(should have all the newly merged pulls), I'll delete any working branches that have been merged and create new ones for any new sheets I will be working on. Hope this helps.