Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

"Building NPC" Forever

Edited 1579022606
Using the Pathfinder 2 Beastiary, if I pull in a new NPC from the Beastiary, it just says "Building NPC" forever on its character sheet. The HP bar also acts weird. Fortunate that I had prepped 90% of my NPCs in advance, cos otherwise this would be the third time in a five session game that roll20 had made it near impossible to utilize the tools we paid for.  Edit: I can see that the NPC is already statted "Behind" the "Building NPC" sign. So I guess it just can't figure out how to remove that sign?
Hi Dawnwalker, Hmmm, very strange - our sincerest apologies for that trouble! Is this happening with every Bestiary entry? Or is it only certain entries? Also, would you mind providing me with the exact name or a link to the game in question, please? I'll take a look to see what I can find.
This is also happening with my game as well although I am using the pathfinder first edition sheet and it seems to be doing it with all of the bestiary entries (although for me it seems not to have the npc statted behind the sign). 
Hey all -  If you are still running into problems, for troubleshooting purposes, would you mind flipping the default sheet setting from PC to NPC and back and letting me know the results, please? If you are unsure of how to do this, you can follow the below directions: Go to your game's landing page Click on the Settings button and select the Game Settings  link Go to the  Default Sheet Settings  section Change the PC or NPC  dropdown to NPC and hit Save Changes Change that same dropdown back to PC again and hit Save Changes   Retest the issue in-game
Nicholas said: Hey all -  If you are still running into problems, for troubleshooting purposes, would you mind flipping the default sheet setting from PC to NPC and back and letting me know the results, please? If you are unsure of how to do this, you can follow the below directions: Go to your game's landing page Click on the Settings button and select the Game Settings  link Go to the  Default Sheet Settings  section Change the PC or NPC  dropdown to NPC and hit Save Changes Change that same dropdown back to PC again and hit Save Changes   Retest the issue in-game I have retested the issue and it does not seem to resolve it, also with my default sheet settings it is a a tick box to enable npc sheets rather than a drop down box. 
Heya cameron C. - Hmmm, that's weird. Would you mind providing me with the exact name of the game in question, please? I'll pop in and take a look at it as soon as I can! We appreciate your patience.
Nicholas said: Heya cameron C. - Hmmm, that's weird. Would you mind providing me with the exact name of the game in question, please? I'll pop in and take a look at it as soon as I can! We appreciate your patience. The game is called "Pathfinder: Sovereign Producer".
Hey cameron C. -  Thanks for providing that. I went ahead and investigated the game and was having the exact same problem. However, I was able to copy the game and the copied version seemed to work okay. Would you mind trying to import something from the Bestiary in this copied game and letting me know the results, please? I sent you the link to that game in a private message.
Hi. I have the same problem. It's there a solution already?
Drako said: Hi. I have the same problem. It's there a solution already? Hi I am still waiting for it to be resolved 
Drako said: Hi. I have the same problem. It's there a solution already? Hey Drako -  Would you also mind providing me with the name of the game in which you've seen this issue occur, please? Thank you!
Hello. I've been getting this issue with Ogres from the compendium. Game is "Indoor Adventures"
I Got the same problem in a Pathfinder 1 game  (Empirio)
Same here as well...
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Viziel said: Same here as well... You have your sheet popped out in it's own window.  The charactermancer and compendium drag/drop require you NOT have the sheet popped out in a separate window.  It has to be in the VTT to work correctly.

Edited 1584850633
Any fix with this? I am attempting to drag and drop creatures from the bestiary in PF1E. Had no problems doing this up until my last game and it hasn't fixed yet (been a week). Shows the creature's stats in the bestiary but when I drop it, it does not load the picture and the character sheet shows "Building NPC". Tried deleting and re-adding the creatures but no progress.  Edit: Sorry! I am a goof. Kraynic called it - if you check your settings (while in game, the last tab - my settings) make sure you un-check popping out the character sheet by default! It messes it up unfortunately. Thanks Kraynic.  
I'm also having this problem with pathfinder first edition. all entries even my archived npcs.
I have the same problem.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Have you followed the advice above and made sure your character sheets are not popped out into their own windows?
I'm also having the same issue.  the game is called Adventures.  I noticed that I had to start the game after changing to NPC and it worked, but when I switched it back it didn't work
Kraynic said: Viziel said: Same here as well... You have your sheet popped out in it's own window.  The charactermancer and compendium drag/drop require you NOT have the sheet popped out in a separate window.  It has to be in the VTT to work correctly. In case someone missed it this sollution works for my PF2e game.
I have the same problem!!
I am trying to use this feature as well, but have the same issue - Building NPC, but never finishes.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
For those of you reporting the same problem, please indicate if you have set your character sheet to not be popped out into its own window.
I am having the same issue and my character sheet is not popped out 
I am not sure what advantage buying the Bestiarys were if we cannot use them as character sheets
I have had the same issue for ages, but good news - I have just done a fresh install of Mozilla Firefox, and it worked first time (was previously using Chrome whereby the NPC character builder never completed). Hopefully that'll work for you guys and gals also! Happy roll-playing!
Same issue. Using G! Chrome Popout window (it pops out automatically) Building NPC box obscures the character sheet.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Don A. said: Same issue. Using G! Chrome Popout window (it pops out automatically) Building NPC box obscures the character sheet. You need to turn off the automatic pop out (it is in your game settings).  For the charactermancer or compendium drag/drop to work, the sheet needs to still be embedded in the VTT or it breaks most of the scripts.  Pop the sheet out all you want after it is created.

Edited 1597439429
Beau
Pro
Problem persists. Not using pop-outs. Tried latest builds of both Chrome and Firefox.  EDIT: started working again.

Edited 1600653814
Hi everyone!! First time posting here. I'm having this same problem, trying to use creatures from the Pathfinder compendium. Have no pop-outs. Problem persists in both Chrome and Fire fox. I try the "NPC-PC" check box option in settings, as explained above, and nothing. Is there any other option? Thanks for the great work!! EDIT:  1) I create an Ogre Mage NPC in another Pathfinder game Im running, and worked fine. I use the character vault to import it to the game Im having problems. Is kind of a work around. 2) I removed the time stamp option, and the problem disappear. Really don't know if that is related or no. I want to use this opportunity to thanks for all the work you keep doing, and for the awesome community that have been created around Roll20. Im very grateful!!

Edited 1603999847
so I tried all above methods, and no luck could I get a tech to look at my game to make sure I am not missing something. the game is called  Skulls and Shackles, Salem  
I have had this issue. Same message as in the screenshots. I tried all the fixes suggested - no dice.  So, I deleted off the goblin. I unchecked the pop out box. Then I dragged a dropped a new goblin.  Boom! It worked. So, I tried 5 other random creatures and all of them worked. Hope this helps.
keithcurtis said: Have you followed the advice above and made sure your character sheets are not popped out into their own windows? Yes, I am still having that problem. Any solutions?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Have you run through the various solutions posted above?

Edited 1608623328
I am having the same issues, and I am getting frustrated.  I have a Scenario to host on 23rd.  I am about to call it off.  I have tried everything in the helpful suggestions.  No joy.   Update:  I am getting it to work.  Is this potentially a problem that can also be caused by lag?