Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Every LFP post in the LFG forum is just an Ad

All of the Paid games are just Ads for a person looking for players to pay them to DM. It at this point drowns out free games if they even exist anymore. I suggest roll20 make two subforums, one for paid and one for free, to make it easy to find games. The paid forum can have each person Thread operate like their Market Stall, so they can hawk their wares there. if this does not belong here then please move it to wherever it should be to be seen. thanks. (searching Free does not mean all free games will show, as not all free games mark themself as such, some just list their game.) ------------------------- Was told to repost here and to "reword" to avoid passing judgement? Not sure i can do that and still state facts. The facts are, that when 3 or 4 different Paid GMs run 5 games a week, and each makes a post for each day, that is 15 posts. Then when you throw in 5 more paid GMs that only do 1 or 2 games you quickly have 25-30 posts that are all paid. It drowns out the free games. I dont care if you are a paid GM. Good for you. I dont care that roll20 allows it. Good for them. I care that if i type "free" into the search engine i do not see all free games. I care that if a free game is posted then i can not find it amidst the paid games. This could be fixed by using a Flair system, similar to reddit. Just flair the game Paid or Unpaid and have a Flair search that lets you look at ONLY things in those Flairs. Or just make a sub forum for each and split them apart. I didnt get to reply to people in the original thread, located&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8523783/every-lfp-is-an-ad/?pageforid=8524047#post-8524047" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8523783/every-lfp-is-an-ad/?pageforid=8524047#post-8524047</a> I run games three times a week, not counting one shots, have done it on roll20 for nearly 13 years, been Pro a long portion of that time. I put my own dungeons togther, with lighting, make char notes, i put the work in. I get why some GMs want to be paid. If you bought DotMM on roll20 and a sub thats 70 bucks in, let alone time to run it, and then your the one RUNNING it not playing it, which you might enjoy more than running it. I dont begrudge you your money. Again, to reiterate so that some mod does not decide to ban me for having my own opinion. I dont care if you are a paid GM. Good for you. I dont care that roll20 allows it. Good for them. I care that if i type "free" into the search engine i do not see all free games. I care that if a free game is posted then i can not find it amidst the paid games. Please enchance search functionality with even the most Basic of Flair like features, and then Mandate in your Paid GMing rules that they must Flair their games as Paid. Then let us filter Flair out. Or just modify the current search to let us filter out Paid from the titles. There are lots of ways to fix this, and by the old thread i CLEARLY am not alone.

Edited 1587631057
I saw this post in LFG before it got locked down. I agree, the filter system is such a dud, and while I don't disagree with Paid GMing, I feel there should be a filter of Paid Games, versus free games on the LFG forum. As well as faster responses to listings that aren't actually even tied to games clogging the feed.
As I said, we need a real tag/filter system introduced in LFG forum, not separation of forums if people do not really care for this particular parameter. Categories so far have to be: LF [group, DM, player, interest check] Base system [DnD, PF, CoC, original, any] Setting [list of associated with system worlds/homebrew, maybe add some genres there] Time zone/timeframe that is acceptable for you, and we'll need automatic comparisment for different zones too, like, if player in Chicago is okay to tag along in his afternoon for Friday night session with majority EU players Language [it's obvious] Appropriate age/Rating [G, T, Mature] Experience [required, new players, any] Fee [paid, free, any] This way most of players' common needs for search filters will be covered. I know that most popular forums allow for tag system.
i dont disagree with either of you and thanks for the support. I figured forum seperation was just the lowest effort method of achiving even the tiny improvement it offers. Having a whole tag search feature would be even better.
Treetop said: I figured forum seperation was just the lowest effort method of achiving even the tiny improvement it offers. I agree, kinda baffling that this isn't a thing already.
mrianmerry
Pro
Sheet Author
+1'd. Nowadays I tend to just play with the same GM I have done for the past few years, but even so, I think this would benefit the community as a whole. I read some of the original LFG forum post and there were divided opinions, but I think this just comes from the same frustration from both sides of the community. There would, after all, be nothing&nbsp; - except perhaps a strong moral core &nbsp;- stopping a GM from plugging his game in both Free and Paid forums...
I know this thread is a bit old but I'd like to offer my support for the suggestions mentioned here. I periodically check the game listings and it seems like even in the course of the past few months the number of pay-to-play listings crowding out the free games has gotten much worse. This might be a sign of the tough economy (I don't begrudge anyone trying to earn a living any way they can) but it is also making it much harder for folks to find the few free games that are out there. I just checked the listings again tonight and the ratio of paid games to free games was shocking. And I don't know how much of it is due to people manipulating the listings (DMs posting multiple paid games in the same time slot, each claiming to have room for large numbers of players?) but it would seem the suggestions made here could help everyone involved find the kind of game they are looking for more easily.
Vermin S. said: As I said, we need a real tag/filter system introduced in LFG forum, not separation of forums if people do not really care for this particular parameter. Categories so far have to be: LF [group, DM, player, interest check] Base system [DnD, PF, CoC, original, any] Setting [list of associated with system worlds/homebrew, maybe add some genres there] Time zone/timeframe that is acceptable for you, and we'll need automatic comparisment for different zones too, like, if player in Chicago is okay to tag along in his afternoon for Friday night session with majority EU players Language [it's obvious] Appropriate age/Rating [G, T, Mature] Experience [required, new players, any] Fee [paid, free, any] This way most of players' common needs for search filters will be covered. I know that most popular forums allow for tag system. Another tag addition should be age range.&nbsp; I have seen a few posts lately on reddit and FB, of people asking for groups to play with within a certain age.&nbsp;&nbsp; Something like: Kids (with parents) / Teenagers / 20-30 /&nbsp; etc / Dont care /

Edited 1671050480
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
Oh nifty, it happened. (Looks like a number of months ago, actually.)