Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Macro works during test, but not in play

1588083382

Edited 1588090155
Hey folks, Fairly new to Roll20, very new to Pro subscription and playing with macros. I've got a token-mod API going for the druid in my game to wildshape. It works perfectly, but I just discovered the ability to add /fx macros and thought it would be fun to create a burst of green energy when the druid does his thing. This is what the code looks like: /fx nova-slime @{selected|token_id} !token-mod {{ --set ?{Choose Form|Brown Bear,currentside#1 represents#@{Brown Bear|character_id} width#[[2*70]] height#[[2*70]] |Dire Wolf,currentside#2 represents#@{Dire Wolf|character_id} width#[[2*70]] height#[[2*70]] |Felix Felicitus Faust,currentside#3 represents#@{Felix Felicitus Faust|character_id} width#[[70]] height#[[70]] |Giant Spider,currentside#4 represents#@{Giant Spider|character_id} width#[[2*70]] height#[[2*70]] } name|"Felix" showname|yes }} Everything works as expected when I test it . In-game, however, the token-mod works but the /fx does not trigger. I've been scouring forums for a while and found some people suggesting a "macro mule" for similar problems. I did that and still get the same results.  Update: After some more tinkering, I've fixed that problem by justifying the /fx line to the left. I thought I had tried that before, but glad to get it working with a simple fix. Unfortunately, I've run into a new problem: the fx is only visible to the person controlling the token. E.g., while logged in as a player in one window and as a GM in the other I can trigger the macro from either side, but if I trigger it as GM, only  the GM side sees the fx (and vice versa). Any suggestions? 
1588088341

Edited 1588088376
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
How are you testing it, if not in game? That's not a snarky question. I'm wondering what difference there is, to identify the problem.
GiGs said: How are you testing it, if not in game? That's not a snarky question. I'm wondering what difference there is, to identify the problem. Sorry for being unclear...by "testing" I mean that I am clicking "test macro" in the macro editor itself. By "in-game" I mean that I am attempting to perform the action from the token macro action bar. Does that make sense?? Also, I've just added an update to the OP--fixed the problem with the fx, but discovered a new problem.
1588091192
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Commands are based on the first character on a line.  That's why "    /fx" didn't work, but "/fx" did.  That holds true for api commands also. That's really strange on the fx not being across multiple people's screens.  I'll have to try and duplicate that tonight.
1588091243
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I see what you mean by testing now, thanks. Shouldnt this line /fx nova-slime @{selected|token_id} be /fx nova-slime @{selected|token_id} that is, no spaces at the start? I assume you macro is set to be visible to all players, so I'm not sure what the issue is here. I just tested with a macro with just the above in it, and it worked fine. Does it work properly for you if you remove the tokenmod section?
The Aaron said: Commands are based on the first character on a line.  That's why "    /fx" didn't work, but "/fx" did.  That holds true for api commands also. That's really strange on the fx not being across multiple people's screens.  I'll have to try and duplicate that tonight. I did some searching for the issue of effects not showing on other screens and read that it only happens if you sign in as GM and as player at the same time. I got my druid player to jump on and test it and everything is working perfectly. Thanks!
1588093500
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
One thing that is really handy is to create a second free account. Use this one to sign in and do your testing, to see the player view.
1588093742
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ah!  That's great to hear, and great to know.  It kind of makes sense that it would only send it to a given player once (or rather, would exclude the origin player in replication).  Otherwise, you'd get the effect, then get the effect again when it replicates it out.
GiGs said: One thing that is really handy is to create a second free account. Use this one to sign in and do your testing, to see the player view. Great idea, thanks!