Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Offering animated versions of retail or otherwise pre-existing assets

Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I'll preface this post by saying I'm not registered as a Creator. In fact, I'm relatively new to D&D only have played a few campaigns in my 40+ years and trying the DM hat for the first time during quarantine. Additionally I'm using the free tier of Roll20 and so don't expect any special priority or exceptions. I'm running the Wildemount preview campaign and in so using the Croaker Cave and Salsvault battlemaps in the Frozen Sick preview. I also happen to be an animator and motion graphics designer by trade (currently out of work), so to spice things up for my players, I modeled the caves and added animated environmental elements like lighting, water and fire to the map layer. My intention is to do the same to the Salsvault map and perhaps even create some animated creatures as they apply to this campaign. My question: I assume that trying to sell these on the marketplace is a straight up "not a chance without getting sued", but is there anything wrong with giving them out for free here? Sure, I'd like to make a little cash while being stuck at home, but if there's a way I can bring a little extra joy to anyone else wanting to run this particular module/campaign during this effed up time in history, I'm happy to share. So, is there a way I can do this without incurring the wrath of either Roll20 or WotC? Sure, I could create my own original content, but because I'm such a fresh face to all this, designing my own battlemaps is way over my head at the moment. I'm happy to get any and all advice, but I think the only definitive answers can come from moderators/authority figures. Thank you!
Free or not is not really important. Either you have the right to distribute them or you don't. As an example, most pirate-sites hand out stuff for free, but are no less illegal. That said: Depending on what country you live in, you might have a right to share digital products with a small number of friends, counting it as personal use. (like the same way a friend can borrow a physical book you buy)
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
My recommendation is to pair up with a cartographer, and either pay them straight up for their work or offer them a percentage of sales. That way you have the legal rights to distribute your creations.
Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Understood. Thanks y'all.