Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

How to success/failure on number minus a selected attribute level?

1588525788

Edited 1588543340
Hello everyone! I have the following formula and still can't get my head around how to get a simple "Success" or "Failure" from this. The formula should check if a 2d6 roll is higher than the value 10 minus the level of an attribute: /roll 2d6>{10-?{What attribute to use?|Attribute1,@{Attribute1}|Attribute2,@{Attribute2}}} I guess, the trick is how to bracket in the 10 - attribute. with the {} brackets, I just get "2". Without the brackets, I always get "-4 Successes". With the [] or () brackets, it does not work as well. What would be the right way to check this? To understand the formula: if an attribute is leveled up to 4, it should calculate 10-4=6, so you need to roll a 6 with 2d6s. If your level is just 2, 10-2=8, so its harder because you need to roll an 8. Could anyone help? Greetings, Rastatux
1588529021
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's better for this to use inline roll brackets [[ ]]. This forces an immediate calculation. /roll 2d6>[[10-?{What attribute to use?|Attribute1,@{Attribute1}|Attribute2,@{Attribute2}}]] You might find it more natural to switch things around: /roll [[2d6+?{What attribute to use?|Attribute1,@{Attribute1}|Attribute2,@{Attribute2}}]]>10 But your method does display the dice roll if you need to see that.
Oh yeah, thanks! I thought I could force the calculation within brackets or curly brackets... It works for "1 success"... However when the rolled dices are less than needed, it shows "0 Successes"... is it possible to change that to "Failure" or so?
1588541728
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Unfortunately no, that is a limitation of roll20's dice system. 
Ah okay... Still thanks, it works :)