Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Compendium Expansion Selection Tool for GMs

Edited 1589044883
Looking a bit deeper, I found this topic in an earlier thread that I somehow missed when I first searched the suggestions and ideas. Please upvote there (not here) if you are interested: Control which books in the Compendium are shared with the Player Sharing feature UPDATE: Yes, this feature is being worked on. Thank you Rabulias. Here is the the time stamped roundtable where it is mentioned. Roll20 Community Roundtable: Compendium Limiter Hello, I don't see this in here, tho I may have missed it, but I think that a compendium expansion selection tool/option in the game settings would be a great addition and open the way for custom compendiums in the future. With the addition of compendium expansions in the market place, it is starting to become a problem in games that are not using specific expansions. Example: As a GM, I have purchased all of the expansions for D&D 5e provided by Wizards of the Coast and Roll20 for my players. Including optional expansions like Ravnica, Acquisitions Incorporated, Eberron, and Wildmount. I also have third party expansions from Kobold Press and Odyssey of the Dragonlords. All of hese expansions add to the compendium and charactermancer. The problem I'm having is that I'm also a player in a D&D 5e game where I can't use the what is added by the optional expansions of Wildmount, Ravnica, Acquisitions Incorporated, and the third party expansions. There is no way to remove those as a player or GM from the charactermancer and the in-game compendium, or at least an at-a-glace way to distinguish what comes from where (especially for spells in the charactermancer). This is only going to become a bigger problem as we get compendium expansions from more books, more homebrew content, and new settings. My solution if possible: Compendium section in the game settings, apart from sharing options, to authorize what can and can't be used.  - It has to be in addition to the sharing option so that players that have the full compendium can access what has been approved for the game even if the GM is not currently sharing the compendium with that particular game.  - Something like a whitelist of what can be used. I don't know much of how this works, but perhaps a tag of some sort added to spells, monsters, classes, races, and items to let the charactermancer and in-game compendium know what comes from where. The tag would be compared to what has been whitelisted in the game settings. If the tag is not whitelisted, then it would not be shown. This would also work to set the groundwork for allowing GMs to create their own compendium libraries in the future. But mostly, it's to solve a problem happening now, that can only get worse in the future as more creators add to this amazing platform. Thank you.
At the last Roll20 Community Roundtable they said that this is in active development, but no ETA was given.
Here is the post:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2940484/custom-compendium" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2940484/custom-compendium</a> &nbsp; /Closed

Edited 1588895158
My problem and suggestion is not about custom compendiums and I am sorry that I muddied the waters, as they say, with my excitement for the future. The feature I am requesting is for what is currently available and will be available in the future when even more is added by Wizards of the Coast and third parties. I am sure that there are (or will be) the same problem with other tabletop RPGs like Pathfinder, but as I mainly play D&amp;D 5e, I can only talk about what I have experienced. As more creators get to know Roll20 and its community here, more expansions to the compendium and the charactermancer is a matter of when, not if, in my opinion. And that, I think, is amazing as it demonstrates how the platform is growing. Having a way to help filter-out what a GM approves and disapproves of in any given game seems like something necessary to me, thus the suggestion/request. Looking a bit deeper I found a few posts similar to, but not the same as, the kind of thing I wanted. Please upvote if you are interested: Control which books in the Compendium are shared with the Player Sharing feature Selective compendium sharing Similar topic, but unfortunately closed: Filter Compendium sources by Game Greater Compendium Control On the unrelated topic of custom compendium: at best, this would be a probable first step in at least a thousand to get close to that imo. I understand the difficulty and the enormity of the task to most likely rewrite large parts of the system to ensure that what is added is properly formatted and dose not break things like the character sheet drag and drop feature. It looks to me that the Devs. are always working hard on ways to make things better for the community and the platform as a whole, so I am sure that improving the compendium (and the charactermancer) as well as adding features like a custom compendium is in their radar even if it is not feasible at the moment. But again, that is not the why I requested this feature. Roll20 Community Roundtable: Custom Compendium
Not sure how SafeString got confused, or maybe they copied the wrong URL, but I understood your request and they really did say in the last Roundtable it is in development.
It's ok, I get it. I'll look up and post the link as soon as I find it. Thank you Rabulias.
UPDATE: Yes, this feature is being worked on. Thank you Rabulias. Here is the the time stamped roundtable where it is mentiond. Roll20 Community Roundtable: Compendium Limiter
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Pedro S. said: Looking a bit deeper I found a few posts similar to, but not the same as, the kind of thing I wanted. Please upvote if you are interested: Control which books in the Compendium are shared with the Player Sharing feature Selective compendium sharing Can you explain how your suggestion isn't identical to the one in the thread with 38 votes? And considering we also know this is being worked on, I don't quite see the point of having a separate thread. On the unrelated topic of custom compendium: [...] Here is a link to the main Custom Compendium - suggestion thread.
The main difference.... is.. that I did not see it in my first look into the suggestions, I am sorry to say. But relay the difference is that I wanted more than just limiting what the GM shares, I wanted something that would also limit what the players have access to no matter what they have purchased separately on their own. But you are right, it is close enough that it should just be an add on to the first thread, and I did comment there for that. But I don't know how to close this one. Do I delete the first post? Or will that leave the thread just floating there without context? I'll edit the first post to send those interested to the other thread.
I'm myself looking for way to disable bestiary 1 compendium for 1e because it disabled prd compendium version of monsters so I now can't import them to community sheet directly :p Dunno really if that custom compendium thread will allow that?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
It's now possible to select which compendiums that are available in a game, and best of all, you can disable that pesky Essential Kit: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8738570/release-note-for-may-26-2020" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8738570/release-note-for-may-26-2020</a>
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .