Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Why would buttons in chat work for the DM and not players?

Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
With the help of the community here, I was able to work out a Crit Fail mechanic wherein I click a button when a player fails and it presents 3 buttons in chat - melee, ranged and magic. Clicking rolls one of three tables that show flavor text and a consequence for rolling so poorly. My players really love it. Well, they hate failing, but always get a laugh out of the consequences. It's not a deal breaker, but only one of three buttons works properly when a player clicks. When I do it myself it works great. I can't figure out if there's something wonky about the formatting conversion from HTML that's preventing it, especially since it works for me. Can someone take a look to see if anything is causing the hitch? If players click Melee, it works, but when they click the others, it just pops up with the plain text hashtag macro. &{template:npcaction}{{rname=**Critical Fail!**}} {{description=Choose your attack type to see what happens next}} [Melee](!
#rollFumbleMelee)[Ranged](!
#rollFumbleRanged )[Spell](!
#rollFumbleSpell)
No expert, but I think you need {{ before [melee.. and at the end you close it with }} Also, make sure there isn’t a hard return between the second and third line.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Did you grant them permission for those macros?
Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
That was it. I granted permission for the Melee macro but not the others. I knew someone here would pick it out immediately Thanks Keith!