Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Online][5e][Free]Looking for 2 players for Greyhawk game. 5th edition ruleset modified for a 1st edition feel.

Copy and pasted from reddit. Greyhawk. It is low magic, Original OG first edition dnd, with 5th edition rules.  Only people who are excited to play this ruleset should msg and only if you can somewhat commit to not leaving after one single session (or before session even begins) Story: Its almost entierly an improv game that follows the party. Current party are Krynn, Knight of the Order of the Hart Barric, an ex soldier who left the army after getting a fever and got healed by a druid. Ol' Pete, a druid plauged by a mistake he made that cost him dearly. So far they saved a Noble from a goblin raid and delivered her home. Her husband is a wizard who is investigating a local undead using gang calling themself The Bones. It has led on a merry chase so far. Can offer a game that is A) Prolonged low level game with gritty quest focuses. B) a game the prioritiizes roleplay over ruleplay (RAW is ignored if it causes narrative problems. Rules are guides not restraints.) C) Quick advancement of low level characters. IE You dont have to wait until level 15 to own a castle. you could do that by level 3 or 5 or something. Krynn is a mounted knight in Full Plate and is level 2. D) Uses certain house rules to make it a bit more like AD&D of old. Below are the current house rules. More may follow, but i cant think of what. I often edit monster stat blocks to be either more dangerous, more unique, or to bring back an old mechanic they had. (like dragons having Truesight) If you have DMed me or replied to me before. Please forgive me, i get so many messages i cant go back and reply to them, so please message again! Id love to hear from you a 2nd time, or a 5th! If i didn't pick you its because someone else *seemed* like they would work out but did not. There has been alot of turnover despite me trying to set expectations and being upfront with the type of game. ------------------------------------- Intent of all house rules is to bring back some 1st/2nd edition feel and to curve off some of the things WOTC did that "Streamlined" fun out of the game. Cant have a tense moment hiding under-water from some dogs when you KNOW that you can hold your breathe for a literal 15minutes and they cant smell you under it. If you know that you have 45 seconds of air and they stay for 30 and then i roll for the rest... you might drown. or be caught. There is tension and drama there. CHAR GENERATION You roll 3d6 and assign them down the statline. 1's explode. Example: you roll a 4 5 and 1 for your first stat, Str. You reroll the 1 and get a 4. Your final Str is 14. Reason: it not only comes up with slightly weaker characters, but those characters are impossible to optimize and min/max to the Nth degree. It mimics AD&D in method and style and fits the setting. RESTING Resting does not auto-heal. Only HD or Heal spells/Heal Kits. You regain half of HD at the end of long-rest. Reason: No other edition of DnD ever gave a full heal on rest. HP was treated as a longer-term resource unless you were "resting until healed" at some location which was assumed to take 4-7 days. KO RULES If you drop to 0hp you make a Con save vs 15 or take a level of exaustion. Reason: To stop people from being 25 AC 1HP "toggle tanks" where you are up and "tank" until you go down at no long term cost to this kind of bodily damage. MAGIC ITEMS They are not super-naturally durable unless otherwise stated and can be destoryed as per any item of its caliber/class. Reason: some are durable. some arent. just assume they can be broken as normal. Many high level ones have functions MEANT to be used when they break. See Staff of Magi. CONCENTRATION You get your normal Concentration slot. Attunment slots can be further used as Concentration slots. You still have your free normal concentration slot. If you make a check, you make one check for each spell being held. If you are holding multiple spells, you take a -2 for each spell being held beyond the first. Now you can run two Major Images and have them talk to each other to sell an illusion. Or Hold a Fireball ready (holding a spell is concentration RAW) until they dont believe the illusion. Reason: old dnd let you stack effects for things. Bless/Bane from one cleric. Or Bless/Aid/Heroisim. Blur/Invis/Mage Armor/Mirror image/Vocalize/Stoneskin all on a wizard. WOTC is all about gimping things to make martial better, but martial can dump 4 attacks a round with a weapon that does 1d12+18(GWM +3weapon and 5 stat) and have upwards of 80% chance odds of hitting, dealing a range of 19-30 dmg per hit, average of 100dmg in a round if all 4 hit) Martials are fine. Limiting storytelling around casters or their ability to do creative things because concentration is not. Esp when you can "make an item and have the item cost an attunment slot but do the spell" ATTUNMENT SLOTS Attunment slots follow prof bonus. This pairs well with the rule above and allows high level casters and fighters to scale better. At level 20 a fighter will have 6 attuned magic items and a wizard might have 2 and use the rest for concentration slots for stacking spells. Reason: somewhat said in the rule. allows for better scaling and pairs well with the previous rule on concentration Identify You need a pearl worth 100gp. The pearl is consumed. Identify tells you what it does, including if it is cursed.  Attunment tells you what it does, but not if its cursed. You can attune to an item at anytime, not just at rests. Reason: its 100gp to learn if an item is cursed. litteraly all it is. you can attune and learn the items use at will, or drop attunments at will, so you can "identify" at will. You just risk picking up a curse. POTIONS Bonus action to use. Reason: so you can use your unused bonus action to do a thing. Healing potion, but also other potions work as well. Note for self: you keep forgetting tags to use when you have to repost this. [Online][5e][Free] and flair are the three i think i need. god its so hard to post to LFG...
Hey I'm 22 years of age, I've never played DnD before but this is exactly what I am looking for would really be interested in joining your campaign 
Wendsday 7pm eastern. cant believe i forgot to list time and day
drop me a DM with your discord and we can talk