Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Keep token visible to players in turn tracker when switching maps

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious here.  We often change maps (pages) during combat.  How do I as the DM keep initiative visible to the players when switching maps?  There has to be a way to do this other than just re-rolling initiative and manually editing the values to match what was already rolled.  I looked in the turn tracker help but didn't see a solution.  Copy pasting the PC tokens, or pulling from character sheets doesn't seem to work.  I can still see the values as the DM, but no players can see the initiative values on the turn tracker.  thanks in advance for any help.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'd never noticed that... can't see any way to refresh it for players myself. It seems to be tied to token_id, so it's different for each monster token on each map. Custom markers do seem to persist, if you add everyone manually as a custom marker, then enter their initiative, that should work.... bit of effort though. Otherwise, something clever with the API to read the initiative value and refresh it for all tokens associated with a character sheet? Not sure.

Edited 1589843925
The Turn Tracker entries are tied to tokens. If a fight spreads over multiple maps, I think you would need to copy the relevant tokens from the map where they rolled initiative to the new map, but I have not tested this out. Edit: Nope, just tested and the same token copied to a new page gets a different token_id, which is what I think the Turn Tracker is keyed to. One option is to have all your multiple maps on a single page, divided by Dynamic Lighting lines or regular Fog of War to keep them separate, and the GM moves tokens from map to map as needed. The Turn Tracker should stay intact, but this solution might not work if your maps get too large.

Edited 1589844831
Andrew p. - thanks for the suggestion about custom markers. The pcs roll right from their character sheet.  I could take a look at how to force it to roll as a custom marker I guess, although I’m not sure if that would have other repercussions. Rabulias - thanks, I will try to log in as a player to test tomorrow to be sure, but fairly certain I tried copying their token from the other map and it did not show them their token on the tracker. I could see it just fine as dm. This is just as if I roll initiative for a token on the gmlayer. *just saw your edit. I have tried that, however we have been experiencing significant lag so I try to keep maps simple so as to hopefully reduce it. If there is no other solution I will do that from now on and cross my fingers. Thanks!* Strange, it seems such a common thing to want to carry over visible tracker tokens across pages. I was sure I was missing something obvious here.
Something I do when using the turn tracker with multiple maps is to copy token to new map and then select token and use ctrl+u to add it to the turn tracker (you can also right click menu of token to add to turn tracker).  I usually wait for each character turns in tracker to add them to tracker for new page so I don't have to worry about rearranging turn order in the tracker (I don't worry about changing the number in tracker from 0 for the new token on the new map).
jbokcrusader - thanks.   I guess there is no elegant solution, people just manually add the new tokens on the new page or keep the entire initiative sequence on the same page using dynamic lighting to keep players from seeing parts of the map they shouldn't, and hope the map doesn't get too large and start to lag severely. Thanks for the replies.