Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Smaller page size to speed loading?

Hi all! I'm fairly new to using roll20 as a DM, and my group and I are experiencing major lagging issues, to the point where we can't move tokens, or see tokens in different places. This especially seems to be true of large maps (I bought the pre-made Tomb of Annihilation campaign). Several of these maps (i.e., the single "map" with nine different shrines on it) could easily be separated. If I reduce the page size on that map, so that we're only seeing one area at a time, will that speed loading? Or does the whole map (including tokens, etc.) load, even if most of it is off-page?
1589923869
Gold
Forum Champion
Tryin to make a long answer shorter, No none of the maps in the modules are Too Big that causes lag just by the page size. Yes pages load slower the more stuff that is on the page. (A 200x200 page that is totally blank will load ok, a 50x50 page with 100's of tokens and tiles will load much more slowly). Yes page will still load stuff that is "off" the edges so reducing an existing page size will probably not help. Deleting things from a page, might help. MAIN ANSWER: By far the most likely causes of Lag on this site has to do with Dynamic Light settings (that yes you can change if you are using it), and high traffic times (we cannot change that except maybe play on Roll20 at a non-prime-time), and bandwidth on your end (your ISP, connection, computer). Do you have Dynamic Lighting of any sort in use?.
Thanks for your reply! Yes, I use the old dynamic lighting and advanced fog of war; we've found that the new dynamic lighting is even slower. I used to manually reveal areas with fog of war instead of dynamic lighting, and I suppose I could go back to that if I had to. I could also make a copy of the map, and only populate it with the tokens I need. I'll try that first. 
1590056312
Gold
Forum Champion
I suspect Advanced Fog Of War could be the cause, mainly based on a lot of people have reported problems with it. Not sure tho! Good luck troubleshooting it