Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is there a way to lock Character Sheets for D&D 3.5e so that Players cannot edit them?

Hello, let me first set the scene...imagine that you are playing D&D 3.5e via Roll20 with your parents...or maybe even worse, your grandparents (who still have the time flashing on their VCRs...wait what is a VCR? Nvm...) At any rate, I have had some issues already with players inadvertently (or advertently) modifying information in the Character Sheet for D&D 3.5 that messes up my macros. Is there a way to allow them to keep control of the tokens but at the same time prevent them from editing the character sheets?

Edited 1590126195
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As a pro user, you can use the PublicSheet script (its in the one-click library, in your API section).  PublicSheet creates a copy of every PC character sheet, that cannot be edited. You can try changing values on it, but they immediately change back. By default it creates a copy of each character that everyone other than that character can control. This is so players can see each other's characters, but not edit them. They can trigger the rolls though. You could set it's Edit permission to the actual owner of the character, and on their real character sheet, remove them from the Visible permission. This would mean they can only see the publicsheet copy, and can use it, trigger rolls, but any attempt to edit stats will fail.
Thanks for that suggestion GiGs! Is there documentation on the specifics of how to use that script? I just did a search and other than some very high level instruction from Jakob in one of the posts, I am not seeing anything.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's really simple. Once you have it installed, start up your campaign and type !publicsheet  in chat. (You might want to add that to a macro). That'll give you a button to Add Character . Click that and you'll get a dropdown list showing all the characters. Just pick one, and it's create a copy of it with (Public)  added to the name. That copy will then automatically sync with the character it was made from. If you make any changes to the origin, they'll appear in the copy, but the copy itself cant be directly edited. In a normal set up, it will set the ownership appropriately (the publicsheet will be Visible and Editable by all players other than the controller of the original sheet. For your use you'll have to manually change that so they are editable by the owner of the source. Editable here  doesnt allow them to actually edit the sheet, remember - it just means they can see the character sheet tab.
Ok, I have been playing around with this and a couple of things are still unclear to me. First of all, this language is confusing... at least to me: Only show characters controlled by a player: In the configuration query, this will hide all characters not controlled by anyone but GMs. Is this saying that this will hide all characters that are only controlled by GM? Public characters are controlled by all players: This will make public characters controlled by, and visible to, all players, instead of those who do not control the original character only. Is this saying that Public characters will be able to be controlled by and visible to all players? (i.e. The "instead of those who do not control the original character only" = all players) Sorry but the language structure here is very confusing...again,at least to me.  On a separate note, when I launched the game this morning, I put !publicsheet in chat and nothing happened. I was looking for the "Force Sync" button so that I could test out some changes that a player did last night on the Public sheet. Is there another way to access this "Force Sync"? Btw, I am assuming that the "Force Sync" button pushes the original sheet data back out to the Public copy?

Edited 1590302755
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Have you installed the publicsheet script via your campaigns API Scripts page? You need to do that before you can use the chat command. Regarding controlled by, etc. When you edit a sheet there are two settings: a sheets Visibility, and who it's Controlled By. The In Player's Journals  dropdown shows the Sheets Visibility . This is who can see the sheet when they look in the journal. They can even open the character, but the central tab, Character Sheet  wont be visible to them. The Can be Edited & Controlled By  sets the sheet's Controller . A sheet's controller can edit see the character sheet tab, and edit the stats freely (and can control the character's token). PublicSheet creates a public copy of the sheet: meaning it creates a perfect copy, and sets everyone as that copy's controller. That allows all players to see the character sheet tab. They could also - in theory - edit the characters stats. But thats where the magic of the script comes in: if anyone changes a stat, the script immediately changes it back to the original sheet's value. For your purpose what you need to do: Source Characters:  change the Visibility status of all source character sheets - remove all the PCs from them, so they cant see their own character sheets. Leave the Controller section alone, so they can still control their sheet. (That allows them to use tokens and macros, and so on) Public Sheet Copies:  Change Visibility so they each only have one player in them - the one who controls that character. Leave Controller alone. This way, each player will have a PublicSheet copy of their character they can open, do everything with, but they cant edit their stats.