Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

30 year DM new to Roll 20 - Looking for DEDICATED Players for a FREE Pathfinder 1 Saturday Game - Emerald Spire & Iron Gods

Edited 1590187760
  Rocket J here. Specifics - Looking for 5 dedicated players for a regular Saturday game.  Planned start date is June 6th with characters and backstories all prepared ahead of time.  My time slot can be flexible, but I'm aiming for noon to 4pm Eastern (EST / GMT -5) if everyone is good for those hours.  With 5 Players I intend to run games with no more than 1 absence whenever possible outside of either Holidays or scheduled days off (These will be noted in advance and depend on everyone's schedules).  My average campaign length has been about 1 year, with several lasting two or more years, so my goal is to create a long-lived regular gaming group.   At the moment I'm unemployed but not in dire need of additional cash flow (There's a note on cash at the bottom).  If the need become dire and I need to get a job that asks me to work weekends, I will resist, and hopefully preserve this game, yet I cannot make promises about this becoming a forever game. About me - I started playing D&D with second edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons when I was about 10 with my brother and friends.  Now I'm going on 40 and have rarely spent a year without a game to run on tabletop.  I got onto roll20, like many, because of the wild 19 covids that are apparently consuming the world outside.  I found out that I liked Roll20, so I dumped money and time into it, and now I'm here looking to run Game 3 in a gigantic campaign. About my games in general - I know people are here to enjoy their time.  I know how it really sucks for a player to either not have a chance for survival, redemption, victory, or whatever, due to either the dice or the DM railroading the player into a specific situation.  My promise is that I strive not to wreck someone's day by being unfair in any way while still providing interesting or specific challenges.  I'm certainly not the cruel DM that enjoys toying with folks, and in fact I've been known to accidentally give too much loot at times. About the other games - My regular day with friends is Sunday.  When I started The Emerald Spire campaign I immediately had 8 close friends from other home-town games jump on.  Now I run 2 separate games of 5 players each for those guys on alternating Sundays.  I run them in the same campaign so I can constantly build to multiple quest lines and adventure paths without having to bother with copying characters to different campaigns here and there.  In short I'm just doing it all in one gigantic world to make certain aspects of adding content for multiple groups more simple.  It does, however, provide a very interesting dynamic to Dungeons & Dragons making it almost like the closest thing to an MMO outside of actual video games that I've experienced.  Two groups for just a few short sessions has been fun, now I want to add a third to the mix. About the Modules - There will be simple changes made on occasion to some of the modules to keep things interesting.  The number one thing noticed will probably be the location of Fort Inevitable, Thornkeep & The Emerald Spire on the campaign map.  If you have experience with any of the modules or dungeons I would appreciate it if you would keep any secrets known to yourself and respect metagaming ethics. About Roll20 and my experience with the system - I mentioned that I was new to Roll20, being forced onto here by the wild covid invasion.  I initially started with a simple dungeon delver with three groups of three players each, basically learning the systems with practice games.  All the while I was also building the campaign for which I am seeking players.  At the moment I'm listed at around 600 hours, but I'd say that's split between just around 25 game sessions and tons of world building.  I'm still learning essentials, like how to make magic digital things happen with macros (I'm clueless aside for copying and pasting from google, which I screw up half the time).  I have managed to make my sessions enjoyable and the pace is clearly quicker than table-top, so I honestly don't think I'm terrible at things, but if there are any pros that may offer tips that are interested in becoming a dedicated player I'd be thrilled to count you as a new friend.  One example of my inexperience is that I still don't know how to work with dynamic lighting at all, although I plan on toying with it a bit before game one for this group.  Another example is that I don't yet have any sounds tied to any of my maps or effects. About Pathfinder 1 and my experience with that system - I honestly didn't give Pathfinder 1 a thorough read until recently, and this is my first Pathfinder 1 game I've ever ran.  I've been a die-hard 3.5 fan since its inception and literally have all of the books sitting right behind me.  Pathfinder 1, as I'm sure you know, is mostly compatible, yet many things are tweaked, or fixed. Due to the fact that I'm much more experienced with 3.5, there may be times that I get rules mixed up, or if there's confusion with something I may default to a 3.5 ruling.  Although I'm becoming more and more versed in the differences with Pathfinder, players that are much more versed with Pathfinder 1 rules I find are a huge help here.  It's also for this reason, as well as the compatibility of Pathfinder 1 with all the 3.5 books, is why I chose this system specifically over Pathfinder 2 or 5e. This is not to mention the modules that I'm building from are also Pathfinder 1 modules, which is ultimately why I chose Pathfinder 1 over 3.5. About the Character Sheet Choice - It is a game that uses the 'Simple' Pathfinder 1 character sheets provided by Roll20, which has been criticized by Roll20 veterans in my other games.  I enjoy it because it's really the only one I understand how to use at this moment, so please, leave your comments about the character sheets in the box for now. About Character Creation - Character in this campaign are built with High Heroic stats.  If you earn a spot as a dedicated player I will obviously go into much more detail about character creation.  I will not that I do enjoy using some 3.5 options, simply because there are tenfold more books for the system and therefore many more character options.  Many folks favor 3.5 because of the variety of options, yet folks fault it for being able to min/max certain builds to be rather broken.  Certainly the Pathfinder equivalent of any rule or ability will be used, yet failing that if there is a 3.5 spell, feat, or even class that you think could be used for the game I'd be glad at looking at converting it with possibly some homebrew options.  In short - I'm not limiting this one to Pathfinder 1 only books.  I like creative and unique builds, even if it does push the bounds of homebrew or playtesting while gaming. About the Cash - I am broke, unemployed and living off of our great US government supporting us in our plight against the wild 19 covids, but I consider that a whole different subject than wanting to run another D&D game. I'm here to enjoy my time, and with my above admitted shortcomings I don't feel comfortable charging per game.  I will note, however, that if you enjoy the game I do have a public marketplace wishlist, and I do have an XP reward tied to cash given or spent (I know, I'm not above being bribed, count it as another shortcoming). What you need to do - If you've read this far, you're probably interested. At least I hope you are interested if you've read this much.  I am guessing that I am going to receive more than one request for individuals to become dedicated players, so I need some information from everyone.  Think of it as an application for the free game.  Be aware that applying for the free game also consents you to dealing with any of my shortcomings nor notes that I've listed above. Please answer the following in a direct message to me- What is your Roll20 Name? - What is your availability on Saturdays? (Please note if you experience the occasional on-call days or do light work from home or anything of that nature) - Are you able to use Discord for communication during game? (This is my much preferred method of in-game communication) - Do you have any close real friends or family that are also submitting this application for the free game? - What is your experience with Roll20? - What is your experience with Pathfinder 1? - What is your experience with The Emerald Spire or the Iron Gods modules? - What is your experience with Dungeons and Dragons in general? - How many other games to you currently participate in, and are they on Roll20, table-top or elsewhere? - Is there anything that is requested for censoring your games - ie - No cursing, no talk of drugs, no sex references or anything of that nature? - What Character would you prefer to play? (Note that ability points are high for the high-heroic game) - Would you be willing to play a different character if the group has a role that needs to be filled?  If so, what's your secondary character option? - About how old are you? - Where are you from? - Is there anything else that you'd care to note? - I'm sure yall are all rolling your eyes at all the text and questions.  To be honest I'd say 60% of all this is to weed out folks that aren't serious before I even receive messages.  The other bit is to not only have a list of back-ups interested in case folks don't work, but also for the fact that we'll be spending time gaming together, so I'd like to be sure we get the right fit just in case this does turn out to be a near-forever game. Either way, I'm looking forward to meeting a bit of the wider Roll20 community, and I'm looking forward to hearing from those who are excited about a regular Saturday game. -Rocket J.
Hello I have a question. You said "My time slot can be flexible" anyway day can be switched to Friday or Sunday? If so I can put my application in. I just have a game already on Saturday. But its so hard to find a good PF1e/3.5 game.
I'm really looking to add a game for Saturday.  That does not mean I won't add another game for Friday night or Sunday evening, however.  Drop me a line outlining your preferred gaming time window and I'll look at possibly opening up another time-slot for another game.

Edited 1590871271
Mark
Pro
What is your Roll20 Name? - my Roll20 name is simply 'Mark' What is your availability on Saturdays? (Please note if you experience the occasional on-call days or do light work from home or anything of that nature) - I am usually available on Saturdays. I would prefer later or earlier in the day. Right in the middle of day like that kinda kills the day for anything else. A few times a year I have to go into the factory on a Saturday to keep production going. But that is unusual. After things calm down from the Covid-19 scare, I will probably be traveling to visit family on the weekend about once a month. Sometimes I would still be able to game from those locations (especially if not right in the middle of the day). Are you able to use Discord for communication during game? (This is my much preferred method of in-game communication) - I can and do use Discord for online games. Personally I find Google Hangouts to be more reliable, but it isn't a huge deal for me. Do you have any close real friends or family that are also submitting this application for the free game? - Not at this time. If I get in, there are a few people that I could check and see if they are interested. What is your experience with Roll20? - Low to moderate. Currently using it on 5E campaign for about a year. Using it to continue a PF1 campaign during the Covid-19 scare. What is your experience with Pathfinder 1? - Very experienced. Been playing it for most of the last 10 years or so. What is your experience with The Emerald Spire or the Iron Gods modules? - I have played through a couple of the easier levels as PFS1 scenarios. I generally found it to be too easy with an experienced group, if the GM doesn't modify things. Know almost nothing about the Iron Gods. What is your experience with Dungeons and Dragons in general? - Been playing off and on since the pink and blue books way back when. How many other games to you currently participate in, and are they on Roll20, table-top or elsewhere? - I am in 2 PF1 campaigns (they have been F2F but are online for the current emergency) and 1 5E campaign. One of the PF games is being run on Fantasy Grounds (poor choice, I do not recommend it), both of the others ar on Roll20. Is there anything that is requested for censoring your games - ie - No cursing, no talk of drugs, no sex references or anything of that nature? - Hmm... This is kinda difficult to explain. I don't really need anything to be censored, but I don't like long-intense-graphic descriptions of controversial things. I once had a player that (if I didn't cut him off) would spend 20 minutes explaining exactly how he was torturing the captives. Some people want to get very graphic in their descriptions of sex scenes. I'm not a prude, but I don't really feel the desire to listen to either of those. Just a simple "I will start breaking joints until he tells me what I need to know" or "I will do my best to rock her world all night long" is sufficient for me. What Character would you prefer to play? (Note that ability points are high for the high-heroic game) - I have been wanting to play a guy heading for the Dragon Disciple prestige class with a mostly caster focus. It just hasn't quite worked out in my current campaigns. I have detailed build plan and most of a backstory already worked up if you are interested. Would you be willing to play a different character if the group has a role that needs to be filled?  If so, what's your secondary character option? - Oh not a problem. Usually I have been the last character detailed to help make sure I can fill in any capability holes in the group. About the only things I don't like playing are bards or any build that has no magical/special abilities at all. About how old are you? - I'm nearly 53 Where are you from? - Mid-west USA Is there anything else that you'd care to note? - I would be keeping my character on HeroLabs (the old version). I can fill in the info on the Roll20 character sheet for you to see, but HeroLabs is much easier for me to use and keep track of everything. If you have any other questions for me, just let me know.
Hey Mark!  Thanks for being thorough.  I've managed to find players for a game Sunday evenings, but I'm still looking for players for Saturday.  I'll be sure to touch base soon to let you know what I'm able to put together!
No problem. I will try to remember to check back a couple times a week.
I am very interested in this, and I have sent you a DM with all of the information you requested. I look forward to hearing a response from you.
What is your Roll20 Name? -  Mister E What is your availability on Saturdays? (Please note if you experience the occasional on-call days or do light work from home or anything of that nature) -  My Saturdays are pretty wide open and that time suits me just fine Are you able to use Discord for communication during game? (This is my much preferred method of in-game communication) -  It has been my preferred method of playing tabletops online. My tag is Mister E#9011 Do you have any close real friends or family that are also submitting this application for the free game? -  Nope. What is your experience with Roll20? -  Pretty much the extent of my tabletop experience. Been using it for 3 years for all my tabletop gaming needs and have a fairly firm grasp of its functions What is your experience with Pathfinder 1? -  Very limited. Played a handful of sessions all belonging to various GMs; could not be part of a game that lasted longer than one or two encounters. What is your experience with The Emerald Spire or the Iron Gods modules? -  I have not played in any modules. What is your experience with Dungeons and Dragons in general? -  D&D itself? Just as limited and only to 5e. How many other games to you currently participate in, and are they on Roll20, table-top or elsewhere? - I have a Star Wars game I play on Sundays and that's about all I have currently going for me. Is there anything that is requested for censoring your games - ie - No cursing, no talk of drugs, no sex references or anything of that nature? -  I'm pretty much good with all edgy content being involved. Only one I will pull a stop for is the attempt to enter someone's "magical realm;" plenty of other places feature THAT in particular and would prefer immediate fade to blacks. Otherwise I'm good. What Character would you prefer to play? (Note that ability points are high for the high-heroic game) -  I'd really like to play as a Summoner character with an eidolon that's more than just a mass of limbs that I've read most tend to build them as; ideally the narrative reason for having an eidolon would be similar to having a Stand from Jojo. Would you be willing to play a different character if the group has a role that needs to be filled?  If so, what's your secondary character option? - If I absolutely cannot play as a summoner then I'd like to try my hand at being a monk if possible. Other games I somehow end up playing as a more social classed character and kinda want to expand into other aspects. Doesn't mean my character won't socialize they just won't be the face. About how old are you? - 34 Where are you from? -  I'm in Nevada so PDT Is there anything else that you'd care to note? -  Nothing of particular note to mention but I am open to questioning if there's anything else needed to know.
Thanks for being thorough! I'll be in touch soon!