Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Transparency - Creating Token/Features - Is DundJinni Easy to Use?

Edited 1590358392
Hi there, I am very grateful for the efforts of many in creating tokens and terrain that are available in roll20.&nbsp; In particular, though, I currently enjoying the transparent hills and other features of Paultergeist, dblade, dragonwolf, Cisticola, and many others.&nbsp; The reason I like them, of course, is that I can lay them over top of other fantastic terrain by other artists as per the screen shot, below (Paultergeist hills).&nbsp; I'm trying to make some of my own hills and valleys that do the same.&nbsp; I'm unable to do it using CorelDraw, is it EASILY doable in Dundjinni ( <a href="http://www.dundjinni.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.dundjinni.com/</a> )? Are there other similar transparent hills and other objects in premium I can purchase?&nbsp; Would that be easier? &nbsp; The following is just in case for anyone familiar with Corel products.&nbsp; Not really necessary to consider for my questions, I'm just disappointed that Corel is not working for me. :) = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = I know how to make gif tokens have transparency (for example, the infantry platoon symbol in the above screen shot), but I'm having difficulty making gifs whose actual visible elements are transparent.&nbsp; I use CorelDraw X5 and while I can make a transparent item and export it as a gif or "export for web", the transparency is not retained.&nbsp; Here's an oval with transparency applied and a rectangle behind it on my CorelDraw screen: But when I export the oval to a gif&nbsp; or export for web as a gif: Here's the stupid thing over the same map, LOL: Any Corel advice? :)

Edited 1590380410
Erik S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I don't use coral or Dundjinni&nbsp;unfortunately so I can't speak to those programs. I use Gimp (specifically v 2.10.18), and working with transparency in Gimp is pretty straight forward: Immediately after making a freash new image file, go to the Layer menu &gt; Transparency menu &gt; select Add Alpha Channel Then Select the default background layer and hit the delete key Draw as desired&nbsp; export as .png Ive made all of my marketplace content with Gimp 2 and seems to work great for me.
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
CorelDraw is not suitable for map making. It's a brochures and graphic design print layouts program. Better you get a program for map making like Dundjinni, yes, although I haven't used it I know it's loved by some (and you can get the free Vinytari collection for use in it in your maps!) Or Wonderdraft, Other World Mapper, Dungeon Forge... Campaign Cartographer... etc. There's several choices available in various price brackets with different abilities. In the absence of all of those mapping specialty programs, Photopea is a free in browser Photoshop clone which does have the capability to be used for mapping and tokens and transparency! As long as you can download your purchase, you can use your purchased in Roll20 tokens in any map! Gimp would also do it. I use Clip Studio Paint and Affinity. Affinity is 50% off right now, so it's worth snagging if you wanted a paid program. There are a few more freebies which might help you. Kritia, Paint Tool Sai, and Inkscape.
Tiffany M. said: CorelDraw is not suitable for map making. It's a brochures and graphic design print layouts program. Better you get a program for map making like Dundjinni, yes, although I haven't used it I know it's loved by some (and you can get the free Vinytari collection for use in it in your maps!) Or Wonderdraft, Other World Mapper, Dungeon Forge... Campaign Cartographer... etc. There's several choices available in various price brackets with different abilities. In the absence of all of those mapping specialty programs, Photopea is a free in browser Photoshop clone which does have the capability to be used for mapping and tokens and transparency! As long as you can download your purchase, you can use your purchased in Roll20 tokens in any map! Gimp would also do it. I use Clip Studio Paint and Affinity. Affinity is 50% off right now, so it's worth snagging if you wanted a paid program. There are a few more freebies which might help you. Kritia, Paint Tool Sai, and Inkscape. Thank you so much for the information on Corel.&nbsp; It makes sense to me.&nbsp; I can continue to use it to make the tokens I'm using, but won't carry on with trying to make transparent features.&nbsp; For now, I'm able to get away with the tokens on the web, but it looks like I have a number of options for further development if need be. All the best.
Erik S. said: I don't use coral or Dundjinni&nbsp;unfortunately so I can't speak to those programs. I use Gimp (specifically v 2.10.18), and working with transparency in Gimp is pretty straight forward: Immediately after making a freash new image file, go to the Layer menu &gt; Transparency menu &gt; select Add Alpha Channel Then Select the default background layer and hit the delete key Draw as desired&nbsp; export as .png Ive made all of my marketplace content with Gimp 2 and seems to work great for me. Thanks Eric.&nbsp; I have this topic bookmarked in addition to having it available in my profile.&nbsp; I've heard of Gimp many times in the past and I appreciate the details above. As I mentioned to Tiffany M, above, I'll be hanging on to this page in the event I decide to go any further.&nbsp; I've been able to make the available tokens from the web work for me for now. All the very best to you, as well. :)