Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Extended &{Tracker} functionality

Edited 1590609406
Richard @ Damery
Pro
API Scripter
Please vote for this one.  While mostly aimed at ADnD2e, I think there are uses for other systems (see comment trail as well).  Also, some of us "oldies" still prefer the old version - old dogs find it difficult to learn new tricks! I am running a Campaign that has characters with multiple attacks per round, that on top of their Initiative Roll should take into account the weapon speed for each successive attack as multiple entries for that character in the Turn Tracker.  At the moment, this can only be done manually by adding extra turns for that character's token, and updating the figures in those added turns manually each round after the initiative roll has been made. My suggestion is to extend the syntax of the &{tracker} macro command with a "name" thus:  (expression resulting in number) &{tracker|name} 'name' need not be a character name, it could be a Custom Item in the Turn Tracker.  If 'name' exists in the Turn Tracker, this updates all of its entries with 'number' or if it does not exist it creates one entry with the value 'number' - this seems the same as now, but with one important difference.  It means that in a Character Sheet macro, the first line can set an initiative with &{tracker} and then the second line of the macro can set or update a second, different Custom Item line in the Turn Tracker with a different number. Here is a worked example: The character "Robin" has a bow, speed 7, that he can fire twice a round.  The first shot goes at 1d10+7, and the second shot goes off 7 after the first shot.  Here is the macro as it would be written for an Initiative roll for "Robin" firing a bow twice in a round: /gmroll [[{([[1d10]]+7), 1}kh1]] [Robin's first shot with (@{Robin|weaponname2}) speed 7]&{tracker} /gmroll [[{[[@{tracker|Robin}+7]], 1}kh1]] [Robin's second shot with (@{Robin|weaponname2}) speed 7]&{tracker|Robin2} If the d10 roll was 3, the Turn Tracker would end up with two entries: "Robin   10", and "Robin2   17" Another example would rely on adding a Round Tracker to the Turn Tracker as a Custom Item (Name "Round" and Round Calculation "+1"), and using it to support 3 attacks per 2 rounds  thus: /gmroll [[{([[1d10]]+7), 1}kh1]] [Robin's first shot with (@{Robin|weaponname2}) speed 7]&{tracker} /gmroll [[{[[(@{tracker|Robin}+7)*@{tracker|Round}%2]], 0}kh1]] [Robin's second shot with (@{Robin|weaponname2}) if not 0]&{tracker|Robin2}  - however, this just sets "Robin2" to 0 every other round, and the players have to interpret that as "no 2nd shot this round"
Great Idea!

Edited 1590602904
Richard @ Damery
Pro
API Scripter
Perhaps an extension to this suggestion (maybe as a second round of development, or a later release) would be to increase the flexibility of the parameters, to add the ability to set several Turn Tracker entries at the same time, and/or to set Round Calculations for the Custom Items, thus: Multiple Custom Items at same time: (expression resulting in number) &{tracker|name1 |name2 |Name3 |... } Setting a Round Calculation for a Custom Item: (expression resulting in number) &{tracker|name, RoundCalc} Both together: (expression resulting in number) &(tracker|name1 , RoundCalc1 |name2 , RoundCalc2 |name3 , RoundCalc3}  (this might be OTT!) An example for the use of setting multiple Turn Tracker items to the same number might be if the GM needs to set all monsters to have an Initiative of 1 to go before all party members, for instance due to a magical effect: /gmroll [[1]] &{tracker|Orc1 |Orc2 |Orc3 } An example for the use of setting a Round Calculation for a Custom Item (either an existing one or a new one) might be for when a Priest casts a spell with a duration over several rounds.  Robin is a 5th Level Priest and wants to cast Spiritual Hammer: /gmroll [[3+@{Robin|Level-class1}]] &{tracker|Robins-Sp-Hammer, -1} This results in a new Custom Item in the Turn Tracker "Robins-Sp-Hammer    8", with a Round Calculation of -1, so it will count down the 8 rounds of the spell duration.

Edited 1590711822
mrianmerry
Pro
Sheet Author
I think this is a great idea, and unless there are some hidden levels of complexity I don't see why it would be difficult to implement. Hopefully, it gets some traction!

Edited 1591015900
Richard @ Damery
Pro
API Scripter
Thanks Ian.  Have you any friends whom you could get to support it?  I think I need someone to help spread the word, as most of the people in my campaign are (like me, to a degree) newbies to Roll20, and don't get a vote (apart from the one who has also got a Plus subscription).  I really do think that it could be useful in lots of ways for various TTRPGs, such as for tracking spell durations, setting Initiatives for multiple characters/monsters/NPCs for various reasons, and managing Custom Items and Round Calculations in the Turn Tracker for other reasons.
I have found ways to build macros that will do some of this function, but they are clunky and require the GM to remember to press buttons at key moments!  I really would appreciate other feedback on this idea!  I've tried to make it as intuitive as possible - and used common syntax as used by other macro commands.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .