Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How Can I Use New Dynamic Lighting with Dungeon of the Mad Mage Module?

I've tried, this a couple of times in backups of my DotMM game since it said there could be issues. If I turn on dynamic lighting for a given map then it just freezes and eventually crashes the browser (Chrome). Is there any way to make it work? Is it worth it? I see that you can now separate light emission from vision on a token which would be super useful for a dungeon crawl but it hasn't been able to load at all thus far. 
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can separate light emission from vision in Legacy as well, and it doesn't crash your game! What's the exact use that you're not able to achieve with Legacy? I don't own Mad Mage and can't test this, but I'm not at all surprised it's not playing nice. UDL is not really in a state to be using it for a large campaign.
From what I understand with legacy. You can set a radius for light emission and give sight or not but you can't have different values for light emission and vision.  Say for example a character has 60ft darkvision but is also carrying a torch with 40/20 light. I can give them the darkvision or the light emission but not both. I've been using torch tokens but its a little clunky. 

Edited 1590889277
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Oh I see what you mean. Yeah that still wouldn't be enough to convince me to risk using UDL for an actual campaign. I mean, the darkvision setting on that gives 100% bright vision in darkness, so your player won't even be able to see their torch - apart from the bizzare dim light ring that still marks the end of a light source in UDL. If you happen to upgrade to Pro for any reason, I do recall seeing a script for linking tokens (I think they can even be on different layers) so they will move together. Why is a character with darkvision carrying a torch, anyway? Obviously not the stealthy type :) I would honestly stick to torch tokens. Even if you get UDL to stop crashing your Mad Mage, you will be extremely disappointed when you see this is what a 20/40 torch "tapering off" into nightvision looks like: No, that bright light on the right is not global illumination, that is nightvision.
Okay, thank you that's very helpful. Not sure why they carry light at all! The entire party has darkvision but I guess they want to see in color haha.
one way to represent darkvision with carrying a torch in legacy for token is to set the distance as 40, 20 mark box for all see light mark has sight and in multiplier place 1.5  (This last step the player of that token will now see out 60 feet.  Drawback that this player will see farther from all light sources.)
jbokcrusader said: one way to represent darkvision with carrying a torch in legacy for token is to set the distance as 40, 20 mark box for all see light mark has sight and in multiplier place 1.5  (This last step the player of that token will now see out 60 feet.  Drawback that this player will see farther from all light sources.) Interesting, might try that. Thanks
I'm thinking of subbing to get Advanced fog of war and Dynamic lighting for Mad Mage. Will these two settings reveal the secret doors/areas or even rooms beyond a normal door if a token moves past that specific area? Or can i control the door/area behind it to make it reveal?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You will be able to control doors. Their DL lines are a different color, so the DM can see them more easily and mover them aside. This is done manually at the Plus level, but there are some API scripts to make this easier at the Pro level. Without any API trickery, players will not be able to detect a secret door without a DM saying "you found a secret door". Secret Doors will be marked by icons on the GM layer. If you do sub for this reason, remember not to turn on Global Illumination at the same time as Advanced Fog of War. The performance-killing bug of this combo is one of the main reasons they are working on a DL upgrade. I would also recommend against using the DL upgrade in its current state of development. Stick with Legacy for the time being.

Edited 1591977097
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Edit - mostly ninja'd by Keith... my point about the crappy DL lines included with the DotMM maps still stand though. They are lazily drawn in some places. You can manually redraw them, but you shouldn't have to when you just paid someone else to do it by purchasing the content. The settings will not automatically reveal secret areas: a secret door will have a dynamic lighting line blocking it the same as an actual wall. As someone who has been a player in Mad Mage (but never seen the DM side) some of the DL lines are.... horribly lazy. You can see a few places where there's obviously going to be a secret door because the vision line is set back far enough from the wall you can actually see that the map extends that way by a few feet, and there's no shaded area signifying a hard wall. This is pretty poor in a paid product. Having said that, the QoL improvements that come with AFoW and DL make it 100% worth it, in my opinion. More immersive for the players, and the DM can actually concentrate on DMing instead of dicking about with the reveal tool and working out sightlines for the entirety of combat.