Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

The special effects system as a perk for subscribers who aren't GM's????

I think that a more robust, and customizable version of the special effects engine would be a great way to get more players to pay for a subscription. I know Riley has said it was intended to be more than what it is, with different colors, fade patterns, etc. being supported, and I think he said in an interview that it was intended to be user configurable instead of just selecting from a few presets(I could be wrong on this, I dont remember which interview it was..). If this was a feature that any subscriber could use in game regardless of the GM's subscription level, it would be a great way to differentiate the supporter tier for non GM's. Am I crazy? Would that break campaigns somehow that I'm not seeing? is this something that has already been talked about, but my google foo failed me? Ideally I would like to see more upgrades to it besides just user configurable, more colors, more fade patterns. I think It would be awesome to be able to set up a spell macro that lets you click a start point and end point, or even set waypoints and set a duration for a wall of fire, or any other way to designate the effects as ongoing instaed of momentary. I do realize that it would take a lot of work to get this done, and it would probably have to wait for 2 or 3 updates down the road, But its still something I think might be worth discussing.
Hmm, that's actually a nice idea and I don't really see a problem. Most other Supporter/mentor features you can't make available to just one player as they affect the whole game, but this one seems to be one where it's possilbe.
+1
This is a brilliant idea! +1

Edited 1401209239
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I don't know about non-Mentors, but at least at the moment the FX system is usable by non-GMs. Whether that's intended behavior or not I have no idea. Select a token and type, for example, "/fx fire" into the chat. The token will be set on fire, even if you're not the GM. I don't think the /fx command is properly documented anywhere, but it's currently available. EDIT: Just tested on a dummy account, and the /fx command worked as a Base account non-GM in a campaign created by a Base account. That's probably not intended behavior, since the release notes for Rugged Reroll say that the FX feature is a Mentor GM feature.

Edited 1401229308
Gold
Forum Champion
Hehehe. Nice. I tested out what Brian described, and sure enough, it works (for now... it's like a beta feature, with a bit of a bug, something Riley the dev said he is still testing and not fully implemented). I tested it as a Non-Subscriber, Non-GM, as a Player in my GM's campaign. I was able to set a token I control, on fire. Pretty cool looking. /fx fire /fx dragonbreath
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
Oddly, works for me as well.
+1 Upgrades to the special effects would be huge. Currently, for the spell Color Spray for instance, we are simply relegated to having all the players repeatedly click on the enemy with their multi-colored pings - try it, it's fun. #totalimmersion