Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

FX Available to Non-Mentors and Non-GMs

Edited 1401217750
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Testing with a dummy account, it appears that the /fx command can be used by anyone, including Base accounts and including players (not the GM). While I'm perfectly happy with that, the release notes for Rugged Reroll claimed that the FX were a feature intended for Mentor GMs, which means that this is likely unintended. It is worth noting that the /fx command only works on selected tokens (not targeted tokens and not on arbitrary mouse clicks), so it's limited in scope for non-Mentors and non-GMs On that note, the /fx command also appears to be pretty much entirely undocumented. Is there a full writeup on it in existence already that I'm just not finding?

Edited 1401226536
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
In theory the /fx command should only function in the campaigns of GMs that are Mentors, but I might have left a loophole in there somewhere on accident. It's undocumented because it's basically just a little easter egg at this point -- haven't really fully tested it. But basically you just select a target, then do /fx <effect name>, where effect name is "fireball", "fire", or "dragonsbreath" I think. The idea was to allow players/the GM to trigger spell effects on either their own tokens on their targets as part of an attack macro. Again, just something I played around with but didn't fully implement.

Edited 1401228231
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I created a new Base account, created a new campaign, added a token and assigned it to myself, re-joined as player, and was able to use /fx fire on my token. If you intended it to work only in campaigns owned by Mentors, then that isn't working. If you intended it to be used only by GMs (as the Rugged Reroll release blog post implies), then that isn't working either. If it is meant to be usable by players, well that would need to be documented. =P The command does correctly give an error if you try to use it without a token selected, though. Using FX on a @target may not be implemented, but there's nothing leading a user to believe it should be implemented at this time.