Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Adv Fog of War/Dynamic lighting issue on Glitterhame

Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Trying to figure this out. Just today and I popped the cherry on a subscription to the Plus tier primarily to get the Dynamic Lighting added to the game (sick of my players asking me why they can't see their full 60 feet.."GIMME A SECOND, JEEZ!") Anyway, The Forge of Fury maps were already set up with DynaLighting making my job that much easier when transitioning. I'm only using the legacy Dynamic Lighting, because the advanced started lagging my players' system hard. I have checked the following: Advanced Fog of War - enabled Dim Light Reveals - enabled Dynamic Lighting - enabled Enforce Line of Sight - enabled Only Update on Drop - enabled Restrict Movement - enabled The issue that I'm having is, I believe, specifically related to Adv Fog of War on the Glitterhame battlemap. After trying different combinations to resolve it, I keep coming back to a glitch, I guess, where a portion of the map looks to players as if it has been previously revealed, even though A) they've never been there and B) there's no light source. Even if I specify that the token has no sight, it still shows up for them. The pattern of the reveal suggests it's the way fog of war that's causing a problem, but I can't seem to find a way to keep it from showing, whether it be resetting the fog, disabling and re-enabling Adv FoW and Dynamic Lighting or changing the settings of the tokens. Here's a screen grab: <a href="https://imgur.com/YDkxaC9" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/YDkxaC9</a> The token has no sight, yet that specific area is revealed dimly. Even if I move the token far out of the area, it is still revealed to him leading me to believe that Dynamic Lighting isn't the problem. Cleared the cache, tried a different browser, rebooted. All the typical troubleshooting stuff and still no joy. Anyone else? Think there's something I missed? Help, please?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Could you show a screen grab of the same location but showing the Dynamic Lighting layer? Maybe there is some problem with the DL walls, that makes the characters sight extend though some cracks.
Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Sure: <a href="https://imgur.com/a/dFJhHkI" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/a/dFJhHkI</a> You can see why I suspected it to be AFOW rather than Dynamic Lighting because there aren't any boundaries drawn that should effect that particular area. After diving back in to swap out some things today, I discovered that it may be that another token had explored that area and I, from the DM perspective was able to see that it had been explored when I view it through the player's eyes, rather than as the player themselves. So it might actually be a bug in the way that function works. At any rate, I did a round of troubleshooting with my players to discover that their lag with the UDL was all but eliminated when I had them enable hardware acceleration in Chrome, which they A) weren't even aware of or B) didn't realize they had switched off. UDL has problem of its own, but those little things are worthwhile inconveniences.

Edited 1592142643
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That black &amp; white reveal is how it is supposed to look if it's been explored. Removing a token's sight or moving them out of the area won't make that disappear. This is not the same as dim light. Resetting the fog should make the area blank again for the player, but that will also reset all of the fog for all players. Just to clarify, do you mean they shouldn't have seen *any* of that section of the map at all, or just the eastern section of that screenshot? Because you have "dim light reveals" ticked, and that looks pretty close to a 60ft reveal to me, and 60ft is a pretty common dim light range. It seems like it's functioning as it should be, and the player had a controlled token there at some point (whether by accident or glitch) but as far as I can see it looks like AFoW has done what it should - revealed up to the edge of the token's dim light range, or until it hits a DL line.
Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Yes, they shouldn't have been able to see anything at all. The first shot I posted was after having Reset FoW. As I mentioned, the token doesn't have sight or any light emitting from it. When I hit Ctrl-L to look through the token's eyes, my expectation was to see black. I posted my problem on Reddit as well and at least one other user was experiencing the same thing.